“A really worthwhile experience”

Franz Josef Glacier Guides
Book In Advance
More Info
$55.45*
and up
Franz Josef Glacier Valley Walk
Ranked #2 of 11 Tours in Franz Josef
More attraction details
Owner description: The magnificent Franz Josef Glacier is widely regarded as the gen of New Zealand’s West Coast Glaciers.Franz Josef Glacier Guides gives you the opportunity to experience the most spectacular glacier environment available to the general public anywhere in the world, offering a range of glacier hiking tours to suit all levels of fitness and ability.We make a clear commitment to you that our trip is the most spectacular and rewarding available.
Canberra, Australia
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“A really worthwhile experience”
Reviewed January 14, 2011

We had a great half day walk on the glacier at Franz Joseph, which we enjoyed even though it poured rain the whole day. Firstly, I want to say how grateful I am for the professional service we received at the front desk. We had initially booked a full day hike over the internet but were worried that we were not fit enough to do this when we arrived. We dropped by the office the day before, and a senior guide took the time to talk to us about the day, and eventually counseled us to change to the half day walk since bad weather was expected. The difference in price was refunded to us. The gear provided kept us warm and reasonably dry, and it was good to be able to leave the stuff we didn't need at the office. Our great guide, Jess, was fun, friendly and informative. This was a long day but we really enjoyed it.

Visited January 2011

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 100 helpful votes
“Wonderful scenery and professional, helpful company”
Reviewed January 14, 2011

The glacier itself was a highlight of our trip to the South Island. Franz Josef Glacier Guides were expensive but professional, helpful and safety focussed. I am very glad we did a half day hike and would recommend it highly. Next time we plan to do a heli hike

Auckland Region, New Zealand
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Valley Walk not worth the money”
Reviewed January 13, 2011

We did the guided valley walk and decided that it was the tourist trap of our trip. If you have your own transport you can drive to the car park yourself and walk from there. We were convinced to take the guided walk because the website's description mentioned that we would be taken past the public barriers, but those public barriers were nowhere to be seen and everyone else could walk just as far as we could.

Visited January 2011
Glacier_Guides, Manager at Franz Josef Glacier Guides, responded to this review, January 17, 2011
Kia ora

Thank you for your feedback on our Glacier Valley Walk experience. Of course no one like receiving negative feedback, but it is always an opportunity to review our products, marketing and delivery, so I sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to review our trip.

I wanted to check some details with you prior to taking your feedback back to the team. Did your group go past the yellow rope barriers near to the Glacier? Our trips normally offer a guided tour of the valley floor, and then take guests past the barriers (which are moved throughout the year by the Department of Conservation depending on conditions).

Many thanks for your time on this, I do hope the rest of your New Zealand Journey was successful.

Kerry Walker
kerry.walker@franzjosefglacier.com
New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“5 stars for the glaciers, 0 stars for the company.”
Reviewed December 27, 2010

During a two-week trip through the North and South Islands, the Franz Joseph Glacier Guides stood out as a sore exception to the rule of New Zealand hospitality.

Unhelpful to the point of being hostile, I would recommend you avoid dealing with them. We ended up doing a heli-hike through the Fox Glacier Guides, whom I would recommend. While I understand the two are sister companies, the staff at Fox were far superior.

If you are going to go to either, I would recommend spending the extra money for the heli-hike. The Franz Joseph half-day hike is a joke. Of the 4 hour trip, you spend the first and last hours getting to and from the face of the glacier - something you can do on your own for free if you have transportation.

Kia ora

Thank you for your review of Franz Josef Glacier Guides, we really appreciate the feedback. So that I can follow up on your complant, I'm wondering if you would be so kind as to email me some more details around the experience you had with us? My direct email is kerry.walker@franzjosefglacier.com and I would really appreciate your feedback.

Many thanks

Kerry
New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Heli-Hike is worth it!”
Reviewed December 15, 2010

My wife and I did the heli-hike. It truly felt like a once and a lifetime experience. Guides did a great job and i highly recommend this option. The only draw back...and it can be a big one of you are not flexible or dont have a plan b....is that due to weather, the heli-hike gets cancelled frequently. If you can, do it...but have another non-heli related hike booked just in case.