“Valley Walk not worth the money”

Franz Josef Glacier Guides
Book In Advance
More Info
$347.20*
and up
Heli-Hike Franz Josef Glacier Walk
Ranked #4 of 11 Tours in Franz Josef
More attraction details
Owner description: The magnificent Franz Josef Glacier is widely regarded as the gem of New Zealand’s West Coast Glaciers.Franz Josef Glacier Guides gives you the opportunity to experience the most spectacular glacier environment available to the general public anywhere in the world, offering a range of glacier hiking tours to suit all levels of fitness and ability. We make a clear commitment to you that our trip is the most spectacular and rewarding available.
Reviewed January 13, 2011

We did the guided valley walk and decided that it was the tourist trap of our trip. If you have your own transport you can drive to the car park yourself and walk from there. We were convinced to take the guided walk because the website's description mentioned that we would be taken past the public barriers, but those public barriers were nowhere to be seen and everyone else could walk just as far as we could.

Glacier_Guides, Manager at Franz Josef Glacier Guides, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2011

Kia ora

Thank you for your feedback on our Glacier Valley Walk experience. Of course no one like receiving negative feedback, but it is always an opportunity to review our products, marketing and delivery, so I sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to review our trip.

I wanted to check some details with you prior to taking your feedback back to the team. Did your group go past the yellow rope barriers near to the Glacier? Our trips normally offer a guided tour of the valley floor, and then take guests past the barriers (which are moved throughout the year by the Department of Conservation depending on conditions).

Many thanks for your time on this, I do hope the rest of your New Zealand Journey was successful.

Kerry Walker
kerry.walker@franzjosefglacier.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,476)

Reviewed December 27, 2010

During a two-week trip through the North and South Islands, the Franz Joseph Glacier Guides stood out as a sore exception to the rule of New Zealand hospitality.

Unhelpful to the point of being hostile, I would recommend you avoid dealing with them. We ended up doing a heli-hike through the Fox Glacier Guides, whom I would recommend. While I understand the two are sister companies, the staff at Fox were far superior.

If you are going to go to either, I would recommend spending the extra money for the heli-hike. The Franz Joseph half-day hike is a joke. Of the 4 hour trip, you spend the first and last hours getting to and from the face of the glacier - something you can do on your own for free if you have transportation.

Kia ora

Thank you for your review of Franz Josef Glacier Guides, we really appreciate the feedback. So that I can follow up on your complant, I'm wondering if you would be so kind as to email me some more details around the experience you had with us? My direct email is kerry.walker@franzjosefglacier.com and I would really appreciate your feedback.

Many thanks

Kerry

Reviewed December 15, 2010

My wife and I did the heli-hike. It truly felt like a once and a lifetime experience. Guides did a great job and i highly recommend this option. The only draw back...and it can be a big one of you are not flexible or dont have a plan b....is that due to weather, the heli-hike gets cancelled frequently. If you can, do it...but have another non-heli related hike booked just in case.

Reviewed December 13, 2010

Did the half day glacier walk which was very well organised and equipped. Its a long walk in and out via the river bed and scree slope approx 1 1/2 hours each way before you even get onto the ice, the hardest bit being climbing the scree slope (it wasn't there last year and may not be next year as the glacier moves).

The guide told us that the half day hike is sufficient that there is no need to do the full day one as there is nothing more to see, to see anything else you need to do the heli hike which starts so much higher.

The glacier is ever changing and we were lucky to see an ice cave and crevasse.

1  Thank sally4holidays
Reviewed November 27, 2010

A really slick and well run operation made for an excellent day. I chose the full-day hike which I'd definitely recommend for anyone who has the time. You'll get much further up and see the interesting stuff. I think I would have been disappointed in the half-day hike. The provided gear was excellent, and we had plenty of time on the ice. The best thing though was our guide, Tom - really friendly guy, very knowledgeable, and intent on making sure everyone had a great time. Two thumbs up!