“One of the best experiences in NZ!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Franz Josef Glacier Valley Walk
Ranked #2 of 11 Tours in Franz Josef
More attraction details
Owner description: The magnificent Franz Josef Glacier is widely regarded as the gen of New Zealand’s West Coast Glaciers.Franz Josef Glacier Guides gives you the opportunity to experience the most spectacular glacier environment available to the general public anywhere in the world, offering a range of glacier hiking tours to suit all levels of fitness and ability.We make a clear commitment to you that our trip is the most spectacular and rewarding available.
Turku, Finland
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“One of the best experiences in NZ!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

I did the Ice Explorer tour and it was just amazing! A ride with the helicopter and nice walk on the glacier. Definitely worth every dollar!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Fareham, United Kingdom
181 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 144 helpful votes
“Excellent guide on the 3hr glacier walk”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

Smooth booking and check in at the main office. Good information beforehand on what to take. Free sunscreen available. Bus ride to public car park then walk up to glacier edge following tracks the public are not allowed on. Excellent guide who knew everything about the area. All in all a great trip if you are short on time (or money!). Highly recommended.

1 Thank Ian B
Sydney, Australia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“I WOULDN'T BOOK WITH THEM AGAIN!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

We (husband, 10year old son and myself) booked a Heli-hike months in advance and paid a lot of money on accommodation to stay in Franz Josef. The Heli-hike was the only reason we were visiting the town and staying there. We were super excited as we booked in just before 9am, weather looked good and we couldn't wait to get up there. As we approached the booking desk were were told, very casually and unsympathetically, that the Heli-hike was cancelled due to concerns about weather. As much as we appreciate our safety being their top priority, ALL the other companies were still flying! ALL the other companies were doing helicopter/plane scenic flights AND Heli-hikes. Being cancelled, when everyone else is still flying is disappointing enough without being told in such an unapologetic way. Even though were were very upset and surprised by their decision and poor communication, I remembered I'd been told and it states on their website, that if your Heli-hike is cancelled they will automatically transfer you onto their Glacier Walk. We were told that they would NOT do that as our son was ten and they didn't consider him physically capable. I wasn't told this critical information when booking, and again, they made no attempt to deliver the news gently, or apologise. Apparently my parents and in laws (in their 60's and 70's) who are no where near as physically capable as my fit, agile and athletic son, would have been allowed on the walk (they were not there, but I asked them if elderly people are allowed, when young people are not)..............How can they possible think that makes sense? Luckily we approached another company who took us on the Heli-hike 2 hrs later. I say luckily, because they were only able to fit the three of us on after a last minute cancellation. We went back to Franz Josef Glacier Guides to complain and spoke to a gentleman who was actually apologetic and sympathetic, but I wouldn't book with them again. BTW, the weather was lovely while we were up there! Seems the OTHER companies made the right call flying all of that day!

3 Thank silverthornefam
FJGlacierGuides, Manager at Franz Josef Glacier Guides, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Kia ora Silverthornefam

Thank you for your review of your recent experience with us. I appreciate you taking the time to write up about your experiences with us.

I've spoken to the team about your review and would be very keen to talk to you further as I think there was some miscommunication of the situation on this occasion.

If you would like to contact me directly, my email address is kerry.myers@franzjosefglacier.com

I'm hoping you won't mind if I address one of the issues in this forum just to clarify. We do not operate the helicopters used in our products, we contract a sightseeing company in to do this, and it is at their discretion to fly. They cancelled that trip (not the day) due to cloud, but did fly other trips and to other places.

We are also the only company permitted to guide on the Franz Josef Glacier, so you would have still been on a heli Hike with our guides - I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed this experience.

I look forward to talking with you.

Kind regards

Kerry Myers
Julieb2007
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“On your to do list for sure!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

This was one of the best tours I did in New Zealand so much fun and so different! helicopter ride to Glacier and few hours trekking it with fab guide. Rachal was our guide and she was great, good fun yet professional and informative....

A must if you are in the area!!

Visited February 2014
“Do this tour, 10 times over.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

We were super lucky to go on a clear, sunny day - any weather would have worked for this amazing sight!

We had a tour guide by the name of Brett who was FANTASTIC. Good mix of informative, professional and entertaining. Kept us laughing the whole way whilst still pointing out great sights, ensuring we were always safe, and answering our questions.

The helicopter return was also extremely fun, great 5-10mins worth of views, and the drivers were also extremely professional.

This tour blew me and my fiancé away. Would recommend the Ice Explorer trip to everyone and anyone!