“A Great Family Experience!”

Glacier Country Kayaks
and up
Kayak and Walk Adventure from Franz Josef Glacier
Ranked #1 of 11 Tours in Franz Josef
More attraction details
Owner description: A unique kayak adventure across Lake Mapourika, created by the mighty Franz Josef Glacier. We experience amazing panoramic views of the glaciers and southern alps, mirror like water and also explore a Kiwi Conservation area amongst some of Westland's oldest untouched rainforest. Free photos are included with each tour!
Aberdeen
3 attraction reviews
“A Great Family Experience!”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife, 2 3/4 year ols and I were touring about New Zealand recently. We discovered Glacier Kayaks on a stop in Franz Joseph. I wasn't sure if we could take the little on on board and Wayne quickly put that fear to rest. He slotted us into his busy schedule and we got his new employee Ollie to ourselves first thing in the morning. Amazing scenery with glass like lake made for such a lovely time. I would highly recomend this for anyone stopping off there but try and go in the morning as it gets choppier in late morning / afternoon and the mountains may be clouded in.

All in all a highlight in a holiday of highlights!

Visited November 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Queenstown, Otago, New Zealand
“A MUST-DO in Franz!!!!”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

A massive thank you to Wayne, Ollie and Harriet at Glacier Country Kayaks! We had an amazing afternoon paddling on Lake Mapourika...in the "marriage breaker" two seater kayak!! The Lake is beautiful, the guides are very helpful and really good fun. We had a great time kayaking-the highlight of our trip! The photos that Wayne took are so great to have aswell!

Visited November 2012
Newberg, Oregon
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“Such a peaceful excursion”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

It was my first kayak adventure and I was concerned about tipping over and getting wet. Wayne very kindly calmed my qualms and showed me a wonderful lake. It was 3 hours and 7 kms which is huge for me. This has been my favorite activity so far in my nearly 3 weeks here. It was very peaceful on the lake and I. Old just listen to the birds. I can really recommend this as it is a small group activity with lots of good information about the area

1 Thank StarrsySmith
Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Kayaking on Lake Mapourika was an amazing experience. The surface of the lake was like glass so we could see the surrounding forests & mountains reflected in it. It was very peaceful &, at times, quite moving (to be so far removed from the worries of everyday life - work etc!). The guide takes pictures of you, which you get on a disk included in the price, which I think is a really nice touch when so many other places charge over the odds for photos.

1 Thank Fran G
Australia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“World Class Kayak”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

July 2012 in NZ's south island and the kayaking on Lake Mapourika (Franz Josef) was amazing. We met our guide Ben at the recycled Bedford bus that is the office of the kayaking company.
He drove us to Lake Mapourika which is a short drive out of town, decked us out in all the right gear to keep us warm and dry and launched us into the lake.
The surface was like a mirror. Each kayaker a complete reflection of themselves against a backdrop of snowcapped mountains and glaciers. This is world class scenery.
We kayaked to untouched rainforest, through mist and into an estuary where Ben gave us neoprene gloves to combat the dropping temperature (it was 4 o'clock by this time). Both sides of the estuary were flanked with NZ flax, some with a dusting of frost and snow on them. The banks of the estuary were covered in ice and a light layer of snow. It was a magical wonderland.
The turnaround point is a red frisbee and at that point Ben went ahead to take pics of us on the return journey. The photos are free at the end of the trip- given to you on a disc that you pick up at your leisure the following day.

Ben's passion for his work, his love of nature and interest in photography made for a wonderful afternoon kayak. He continued to seek out good shots of the sunset on the way back.

This kayak experience will take some beating. The location is world class, the variety is amazing and the organization is seamless. Don't hesitate to do this one.

The half day kayak is a full 2 and a half hours, so novice kayakers need to be up for the distance and the time on the water. The kayaks are excellent, with rudders/foot pedals, easy to steer, stable and modern. If you love water sports, don't miss this one.

Visited July 2012