“Good value food”
Review of Matheson Cafe

Matheson Cafe
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Fox Glacier
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Enjoy unsurpassed views of Mt Cook and Mt Tasman whilst dining at our contemporary style café at the entrance to the Lake Matheson Walkway. Open 7 days from 8am for breakfast, brunch and lunch, and open for dinner in peak summer season. Comfortable indoor seating and expansive deck area. Adjacent to the cafe is the ReflectioNZ Gifts and Gallery offering a range of high quality Kiwiana products, clothing and souvenirs. Lake Matheson is one of New Zealand's most scenic icons. Situated on the West Coast of the South Island, in the heart of Glacier Country and Westland National Park, the Lake Matheson walk is a must do attraction for all visitors to Fox Glacier & Franz Josef Glacier. 'Picture Perfect' reflections of New Zealand's highest peaks Mt Cook & Mt Tasman can be captured in the dark waters of this ancient lake formed by the retreat of the Fox Glacier. A trip to Lake Matheson is simply not complete without a visit to Matheson Cafe and ReflectioNZ Gifts and Gallery.
Reviewed August 24, 2014

We stopped in here after a wet and windy Lake Matheson walk. The café was cozy and comfortable with jacket hooks at the door. We had toasted Turkish bread sandwiches and the food was generous and tasty and the coffee was hot. We had no complaints

Write a ReviewReviews (1,085)

Reviewed August 22, 2014

My boyfriend and I have been visiting the Cafe several times while staying in Fox Glacier or passing through. The food is delicious, the service is very friendly, professional and lovely, even the owners are great. I certainly recommend this place whilst travelling around New Zealand and overseas. The view is just magnificent and the walk around the lake itself is stunning! Have a cup of coffee or tea outside on the veranda and look in awe up the moutains. It doesn't get any better!

Reviewed August 17, 2014

If you are passing and the weather is good call in here and do the lake.
If the weather is bad call in and have a break coffee tea or lunch.
The food is good,the views are great,they have an internet kiosk but not wifi.
This place would get a full 5 rating if it had wifi so you could check in etc.
No complaints.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

Make sure you stop by for a meal after the walk at Lake Matheson. Great food, great service at a great surroundings around Lake Matheson! Just perfect! The staff were very friendly and very caring too.

My initial booking was at 7pm but I didn't know then that it was quite a long walk to the lake from my motel. It's almost 1 hr ONE WAY walk..so after counting the time, I realized I would finish my dinner really late. And I didn't have a car either and it's winter and days were shorter. So I discussed with the waiter and the waitress at the cafe and they strongly recommended me to change the dinner time to earlier time cos they said, it got dark very early and there's no street lighting at all along the road. So it would be dangerous to walk at night.

So I changed my dinner time to 6pm which meant that I would have to rush walking around the lake. And alas, the walk around the lake (the long way) was quite long too. So I had to call the cafe again to change my time to 6.30pm and the waiter was so nice and changed it for me.
The cafe was not busy on that night so they were more flexible with the time.

I ordered the pork belly with baileys and apple crumbles dessert and also the spirulina juice. Everything was so delicious! It was honestly one of the best meals I have ever had! Too bad the weather was not that good on that day. It was so cloudy and stormy and clouds just covered the mountains view, but I stil enjoyed everything.

I'm glad I came here for a bite to eat. It's totally worth the long walk!

Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

Had my lunch here after a walk at Lake Matheson. The carrot cake was good and worth a try while the pie was a miss.
The drinks were ordinary. Had a better hot chocolate at Snow Farm.