“Soul restoring food on a horrid day”

Cook Saddle Cafe & Saloon
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Cook Saddle Cafe and Saloon offers locals and visitors a variety of menu options at reasonable prices in a warm and friendly country atmosphere.Our wide menu selection includes ala carte and group menu’s, while our popular western style meals are enjoyed by young and old. A children’s menu is available and we endeavour to meet special dietary requirements upon request.The restaurant offers indoor and outdoor dining and during the cooler months visitors can relax and unwind by the cosy open fire.The saloon is full of local history, a comfortable place for visitors to the West Coast region to catch up with the locals and perhaps hear a few good old stories from days gone by!
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The waiting staff are friendly and we got our drinks promptly, we did wait a while (I started taking notice after a while and counted at least 20 mins) for food but oh boy it was worth it! We had venison sausages with roasted tomato and mashed potato. The sausages were excellent, it was real mashed potato and the simple roasted tomato with it was delicious. Definitely worth the wait but I would not recommend if u were under specific time pressures. Nice choices on the menu, fair prices, satisfying portion sizes, and a great atmosphere in the pub itself, the highlight of this part of our trip, excluding the glaciers, of course!

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stopped to eat lunch here before going to Fox Glacier. We ordered ciders and fish and chips. Then we proceeded to wait over 45 minutes for our food. When the food came out, it was really good. So I suppose if you don't mind the wait, go ahead and eat here.

The thing that bothered me was no one came over to apologize or anything. It was like business as usual. We saw quite a few people just leave before their food came out.

If you are interested in hearing more about our New Zealand vacation, please visit my blog at yvetterene.blogspot.com.au.

1  Thank TheYvetteRene
Reviewed December 31, 2013

After a long drive from Te Anau up the west coast, my wife and I checked into our motel and dined at Cook Saddle in town. The atmosphere is nice - rustic, country feel - but the service was definitely lacking. We were seated promptly and our drinks came out quickly, but after that it took quite awhile for them to come back and take our order and ask us if things were okay / have another drink. Of course, I read prior to our trip that in small towns in the country and on the west coast the service is not nearly as good, so I guess I kind of expected it. The food itself was really good though. Oh, and it was also raining and cold while we were there, but lucky for us they have a fireplace and there was seating close by. Overall, I would recommend this place if you have some time and just want to relax and have a good meal at a reasonable price.

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

For a long, long time it wouldn't eat ribs, corn on the cob - anything that involved messy fingers / face basically! But times and tastes change and I'm happy to say the ribs I had at the Cook Saddle were the best I've had since I 'saw the light'!! Cooked just right, great sauce, and a proper portion size. Very tasty!

There was a great atmosphere in the bar too with a healthy and friendly mix of locals and tourists alike. After our meal we stayed to watch a band play and our toes were tapping in no time!

All in all a great evening with good food, good music and good company!!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I do not understand why there is a wait to get into this place, could be because the Fox guides talk it up during your glacier trip but my advise is to go elsewhere.

Inside the place is SO over crowded with tables that you can barely move and once you are in your seat, chances are you are stuck sitting there until someone else (at another table) moves first. I saw two people sitting at a round table for 5 and I saw 3 people crowded at a tiny table right next to the bar so you could be standing at the bar, getting a drink and your hip is touching the person trying to eat his meal and there was another table right at the enterance so everyone walked in got to bump the people sitting there. I dont know when the last time this place was checked for safety violations but I think they should be.

I asked three different waiters to take our order and none of them would, eventually someone did and it took over an hour to get our meals.

Hubby got the steak - cant really go wrong with that you would think but he asked for medium and got well done and he asked for a steak sauce and didnt get one at all. We asked about the sauce and it didnt arrive until the steak was eaten.

I asked for ribs, which apparently are called "doubles" here and thats exactly what you get. Two ribs only. Yes, they were tender but they were soaked in so much sauce that it was hard to eat them beyond the flavour of the sauce and messier than usual ribs and you are not provided any additonal napkins (one per customer only) or wet wipes to clean your hands. The "salad" with the meals where debatable and my coleslaw lacked dressing of any kind but I gave up trying to get a waiter to ask if this was normal or was I missing the dressing.

We wont go back here again. Go to Cafe Neve, go to Cafe Matheson instead.

2  Thank Denali68