Open today: 7:30 AM - 7:00 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from Fox Glacier Guiding tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

1,356 results
All reviews heli hike ice climbing full day hike terminal face walk refund policy waterproof pants new zealand small group unique experience great guide blue ice hiking boots once in a lifetime full refund cancelled due guided walk south island
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Very helpful, safe, educational, and fun! The guide was very attentive, focused on our safety and gave us a great experience. Definitely recommend going with this organisation

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were so grateful to our wonderful guide Brendan and work experience man Jono. Our family of 5 (2 adults 3 children (8,10,12) had these guides to ourselves for our 2hr walk. From start to finish we found Brendan to be attentive to each of us and available to answer the numerous questions from our children and inform us each step of the way about the history of the glacier etc. He made the whole experience better than we could have imagined and one we will never forget. Jono was also fantastic and we are grateful to have had both of them guiding us along the way. The 2 hour walk was an easy walk and allowed us to get much closer to the glacier than the public are allowed which was a great experience.

FoxGlacierGuiding, Sales and Marketing Manager at Fox Glacier Guiding, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

It was great to read that you have taken away such wonderful memories with you after your time with us.
Specifically thank you for sharing your personal, fun and informative family experience you had with Brendan and Jono. We will be sure to pass your comments along!
Jo Wisniewski
on Behalf of The Fox Glacier Guiding Team

Reviewed July 14, 2013

After returning to Fox Glacier after 10 years of living in Australia I was excited to be bringing my Ausie friend to Fox Glacier to do a NZ$644 each Heli Ice Climb.

This trip was booked for our second day in NZ

As our trip was a day trip we departed first by Helicopter up to the Glacier.

Arriving on the Glacier we were instructed to vacate the Helicopter and walk down a path marked out by stones/rocks to a meeting area we would then put on the crampons/spikes for our boots. In the meantime our Guide got our packs out from the Helicopter.

The path was slippery as apparently due to the night before rain. All three of us on the tour were walking up the path (difficulty I might add and were slipping all over the place). I stopped and said it’s too slippery I was then told I had to move due to another helicopter arriving soon.

That’s when slipped, fell and twisted my knee. When I hit the ice my knee cap moved to the right as it had hit a lump in the ice. I was in agony. As I grabbed my knee the knee cap slid back in. The first person to my rescue was my friend I was travelling with.

He stayed with me until the pain eased a bit. Then the guide suggested he "chip away at the path with his axe for some traction" once this was done the others put on their crampons while I stayed where I was due to not being able to put weight on my leg.

Once my friend had his crampons on he helped me up so I could move further down the path. I said to my friend " why didnt he chip the path in the first place if we are the first group on the ice and he new it would be slippery) but the damage was already done.

I was then instructed by the guide to put my crampons on and move further up the path before the next helicopter arrived.

I did this with great difficulty.

I said to my friend that I i didn’t think I would be able to complete the day. My friend asked the guide if he had any tape to strap my knee/leg. The guide gave us an old ratty squashed roll of tape which didn’t really work well. My friend then asked if he had a pressure bandage.

Anyway to cut a long story short. I limped around on the ice unable to really participate or go into the Caves as I couldn’t really bend my knee.

We observed other trips landing on the glacier and watching there guides chipping the path away for them. This made me angry.

When we were back at the Fox Guides shop we took all our gear off and returned it. At no stage was I offered the local nurses phone number or even an ice pack.

The extent of the damage was a shock once I had my thermal clothes off back at the hotel.

My knee was huge with fluid and in areas black/purple.

The next day I spent three hours at the Greymouth hospital where I was had X-rays and was given pain relief. And instructed to have further tests done back in Australia. The incident was logged with ACC.

Back in Australia I needed another week off work as well as having more X-rays and an ultrasound. As there is damage due to this injury I now am waiting to have a CT scan. All these tests dont come cheap

All in all duty of care was not there.

Time of accident: Guide did not take injury seriously and didn’t follow basic first aid principles. Rest, Ice. Compression, Elevate and get the hell off the Glacier to see a doctor!

How accident came about: Guide neglected to chip away path due to prior weather conditions and taking into consideration we were first on the ice.(he was aware of this)

Lack of aftercare and not helpful with supplying local Nurse phone number or ice pack after tour.

And not even a "sorry you had a bad experience and I hope your knee gets better soon"

And no offer for a refund.

I am a 31 year old female who works as a Emergency Services Officer in remote areas. And I would never treat a patient/person the way I was treated. I would hate to see a person with a severe injury up there because that helicopter is 15/20min away.!

4  Thank VP866
FoxGlacierGuiding, Guiding Manager at Fox Glacier Guiding, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Thank you for your comments on your experience with us during your Heli Ice Climb on the 13th of June 2013, one month ago.

We were very concerned to read about your knee injury that you sustained on your trip. We also note that the issues you have raised are all centred around the actions or non-actions of your guide on the day, which is also of concern to us.

It is with regret that we note you did not contact our Management Team to make us aware of your situation and how you were feeling at the time as this would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns and situation immediately.

Notwithstanding this we do view your comments very seriously and are investigating them and invite you to call me or email me on marius@foxguides.co.nz to discuss further.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we sincerely hope that the rest of your visit to New Zealand was a good one.

Marius Bron

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We loved this experience. Helicopter flight up onto the glacier, walked and explored the glacier with a super-funny guide and we where lucky enough to have discovered a cave. It was breathtakingly beautiful. Our photos don't do it justice. Definitely something everyone should experience at least once in a lifetime. You're supplied with special shoes and boots [and socks] so make sure you rug up on the top :)

Happy Belated Birthday! Thank you for sharing your experience of discovery with us through your comments and spectacular photos. The ebbs and flow of the Fox glacier certainly provided a very stunning ice cave!
Jo Wisniewski
On Behalf of The Fox Glacier Guiding Team

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We did the full day nimble fox walk, and it was spectacular! The early part of the day, the walk through the rainforest, was a little difficult, as the temperature was humid and warm... and we were actually overdressed for this part of the hike... at one of the breaks, we actually removed some of our layers (IMPORTANT: DRESS IN LAYERS) and the remainder of the walk was much less difficult! once we reached the glacier, we added the layers back, and then we were perfectly comfortable! The sun kept ducking behind the clouds, but when the sun did shine, the area was so beautiful! we took a TON of pictures... our guide was very knowledgeable, and explained a lot about the glacier, and the surrounding areas, and kept our climb challenging and enjoyable for the entire day! I hope to return to Fox Glacier again, and we will definitely do the full day trip once again... I am over 50 years old, and would highly recommend this trip to anyone!