“Quality Stay at Fox Glacier”
Review of Misty Peaks

Misty Peaks
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Fox Glacier
Reviewed May 4, 2009

The room and bed were excellent, but what I most appreciated were the quality points that other B & Bs lacked. First, the tiles of the bathroom floor were heated! Who thinks of doing that. Second, the shower was the best I have ever had. Super water pressure and a shower head that I have to get for my home shower. The whole atmosphere was very warm and friendly. We had an excellent gourmet dinner.

Bill and Marie Thayer
San Diego, California, USA

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tuscany1950
There are newer reviews for Misty Peaks

Reviewed April 16, 2009

If you don't want to take a helicopter ride or eat your dinner here dont bother booking. We didn't want to do either and maybe that is why I felt like I was invading someones home, and didn't feel welcome at all. I asked to watch the tele in the lounge but this was prompltly turned off when some other guests came in. Obviously they were more important then me. Oh but yes I forgot they were having dinner there. To be quite honest I felt like it was the end of the season and Lee & Dave had just about had enough. They even made derogative reports about tourists showing them pictures they had seen a million times and complaining about the weather. Thats what tourists do!!!. I have no complaints about the room it was very nice. What a shame I just felt like I was an inconvience.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank perthgirl_7
Reviewed April 13, 2009

Dave and Leigh provided a warm welcome, complete with cup of tea in the cosy kitchen, to their lovely purpose built B & B. Our room was tastefully decorated, and had both an external door, to a verandah (with easy access to the car for unloading) and an internal access to the hallway, and common living/eating area beyond. The bathroom was spotless and well provisioned. I'm not sure what planet other reviewers were on ... but we found it a delightful place to stay, with a great combination of independence if you chose to keep to your room, and convivial company when you mixed with the owners and other guests. We chose to eat there - finding no better options on a drizzly West Coast night! Dave's food was nice (good cuts of meat etc), if basic cooking, and presented well at the dining table. The atmosphere was great. (Maybe we were extra lucky with the mix of guests that night) Sure the price for food and wine was up there .... but take a look around .... there was no wholesaler just up the road, so goodness knows how they managed to keep up supplies, in the middle of no-where! A complementary glass of wine was a nice touch before dinner. We had booked at a very reasonable rate, so were very happy with the overall deal. Breakfast again, was served to us at the table and had plenty of choice...even a fresh pot of coffee. I would love to stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 4, 2009

The rooms at Misty Peaks although called suites are rather too small for that description & are only averagely appointed.
The hosts offer a cooked meal in the evening, which was very nice but rather overpriced for what it was. We had the feeling that they were out to make as much money as they could out of the guests. The atmosphere was not as homely or friendly as other B & Bs we had stayed at.
I understand that there is not much choice of accommadation in the area & so it is probalbly one of the best available but would only rate it as average.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank graham_hyland2
Reviewed March 19, 2009

From the reviews on TripAdvisor.com I had expectations for Misty Peaks. This proved to be false. The property lists itself as "boutique" which is not at all the case. My room was basic and not very different that a motel room. The building was constructed in 1993. There was a television receiving two channels, no mini-fridge, and no coffee or tea making supplies or capability. They advertise the 24 hour availability of coffee and tea but this is not the case. They also advertise that they serve dinner. Indeed a dinner menu was sitting on a counter but it was never offerred to me nor was dinner suggested. I had to ask when breakfast was served in the morning.

Overall the reception and demeanor of the owners evidenced a lack of interest. Since this was near the end of the season it was perhaps the case that they were tired. In any event, I did not find the place welcoming, warm, or any where close to the value of its costs. They even charge $5 NZD for Internet access on top of a $310 NZD per night room rate.

Breakfast did nothing to improve my view of the operation. There was a small selection of cereal, two juices, and some yoghurt. A cooked breakfast was offered with the standard items of eggs - scrambled, fried, or poached. You could also have bacon, sausage, and tomatoes.

This was one of the most expensive B&Bs for my three week stay in New Zealand and the most disappointing.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank AlwaysOnTheAirplane
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My wife and I stayed at Misty Peaks whilst on a recent visit to New Zealand. The generous welcome and fun provided by our wonderful hosts, Dave and Lea, made the visit to Fox Glacier a memorable one. The food was excellent and I even got a candle in my birthday breakfast! Can't recommend Misty highly enough for the genuine Kiwi experience. David Donnelly

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2008

We stayed here for 5 nights of our honeymoon and were sad to leave. The hosts (Dave and Lea) were warm and down-to-earth, dinner was great (try the fish, and that delectable caramel sauce on the sticky date pudding!!) and the Honeymoon Suite was a treat to stay in. Misty Peaks B&B makes other B&Bs feel impersonal and sets a high standard to live up to.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fox Glacier
Lake Matheson Motel
Lake Matheson Motel
#1 of 10 in Fox Glacier
Distinction Fox Glacier, Te Weheka Boutique Hotel

Been to Misty Peaks? Share your experiences!