We stayed here in March 2008 (a little late with the review) and were pleasantly surprised given some lukewarm reviews at that point. We found it very convenient, comfortable and spotlessly clean.
We stayed in a premium 2 bedroom unit - like a small cottage almost.
Very clean. Maybe not falhy, but well equipped.
Peaceful location (though anywhere in Fox Glacier probably is).
Manager was very helpful in trying to get the heli-hike re-organised for us, after it was rained off. It didn't work out, but we appreciated the help.
We ended up doing just a helicopter flight (with glacier landing) which was expensive, but well worth it. It's still my 12 year old's highlight of a round the world trip.
Also, got up early one morning to get to Lake Matheson - well worth it. Make sure you keep going to Reflection Island - probably 40 minutes. Other spots look promising (particularly the jetty), but Reflection Island is the one and is well labelled.
We would recommend the Cook Saddle - pub/bistro - good food and nice atmosphere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Lake Matheson Motel is ideally located 400 metres from the town centre of Fox Glacier. While we have been proudly named after beautiful Lake Matheson for our 22 years in business, we are definitely a town based motel; while we are not on the edge of the Lake, we are only a ten drive away and the same for the Glacier. Our motto is 'simply nice'. This means we provide simple, clean and comfortable accommodation and focus on giving you good quality basics such as quality Sleepyhead beds, cotton linen, good showers, televisions and utensils. We have a 4 star grade with Qualmark. So come and enjoy our studio and 2 bedroom units, with mountain views, in a peaceful location. We have WIFI,undercover parking for all units, some spa units, King and Queen bed units, continental breakfasts, a portable BBQ and a Guest Laundry for your convenience. We hope to welcome you to Fox Glacier soon. Heather and Mike, Motel Managers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Lake Matheson Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lake Matheson Hotel Fox Glacier
- Lake Matheson Fox Glacier