“Amazing!”

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Did a helihike here yesterday, so awesome! Quite tiring and obviously slippy, despite the crampons but well worth it. Got a little damp too so might be worth taking dry bottoms with you and socks! Views were amazing!

Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Singapore
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Highlight of my nz trip”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This is a must do if you are in South Island!

We took a full day Nimble Fox hike and it was an awesome trip with many photo opportunities of the wonder of nature.

All equipment and clothing provided by the Fox Glacier Hike are clean/ in good condition and our guide, Finn, was very informative.. The lunch we ordered was very substantial (the cookie in particular was great!).

However a note of caution - you need a pretty good level of fitness to hike up to the steep hill to arrive at starting point of the glacier. I am rather unfit (do not exercise regularly) and found it very tedious to hike up, especially when you are not supposed to stop because it is a rock fall danger zone.

Once we arrive at the starting point, we put on our crampons and started walking on the glacier. I must say that it is not easy to walk on uneven ice (and some with loose rocks mixed in between) and you may be required to jump/hop a little over certain areas. I recommend that ladies wear leggings or bottoms which allow them to stretch your legs wide easily. In addition, due to the unevenness of the ice, you may find yourself with twisted ankles if you place your footing wrongly (and it happens if you are tired out from the tough walking). I suffered a few bruises on my knees and hips but it could be just me.

Despite the difficult hike for the unfit me, I would still strongly recommend a visit to Fox Glacier as it is really a unique experience that you must try for yourself.

Visited August 2013
Mackay, Australia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Very impressive....if you can manage the walk....”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We had initially been booked onto a Fox Glacier Guides Tour, but due to travel problems, we had to cancel. However, we still really wanted to see the glacier, so on our way to Franz Josef we turned off to have a look.

It was about 3:30 in the afternoon so we knew we only really had an hour of daylight to see anything, and we had no idea about what sort of walk would be required.

Turned out the walk was well laid out and easy to follow. If you’re a person who has some level of fitness, I wouldn’t think it would be a problem. But for unfit me, it was torturous. The first few hundred metres were fine, and there were signs everywhere saying don’t stop for photos due to falling rocks. Of course that really didn’t stop me, but lets say I didn’t hang around in one area for too long.

However, after that, the trail took a turn upwards, walking up a (in my opinion) fairly steep hill for a good while. It probably only sloped up for maybe 300 – 400m, but it seemed more to me. I’ll not lie, the scenery was spectacular, with sheer cliffs rising on both sides, but I was in too much pain to truly appreciate it.

However, with much puffing and tugging on my arm from my boyfriend, we finally got to the lookout area. There is no doubt that the glacier was impressive! Definitely a must see if you are in the area and can stomach the walk (yes I know, I’m a wuss).

We unfortunately saw it at its smallest since we were only just coming into winter, but it was still beautiful, and we caught it just as sun was falling so there was some lovely golden reflects up at the top of it. By the time we got back to the car park it was pretty well dark, but the facilities were lit enough to get around without walking into the posts.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Catherine_8_1989
Hong Kong, China
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Awesome Experience!”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We did the half-day glacier walk (Fox Trot), it's amazing and wonderful! We walked on the glacier for almost an hour and we saw different features of the glacier. The tour guide was friendly, knowledgable and enthusiastic. Do prepare for some steep-hill walk, but active kid should be able to manage it because my 7-year-old boy made it, too!

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Myjaneli
Hastings, New Zealand
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Another reason why NZ is awesome.”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

An easy hike (if you're reasonably fit - our five year old did it with no problems) up the valley takes you to an elevated lookout with fantastic views of the glacier. The various waterfalls and alpine streams on the way in add to the natural splendor, and DOC have done a great job keeping everybody safe with a clearly defined track and plenty of warning/advisory signs as you make your way up. You'll need to join a tour to walk on the glacier itself, but this is a nice no-cost option if you'd rather just soak in the magnificent scenery.

Visited July 2013