“Squeaky beds!!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Sir Cedrics Fox Pod Hostel & Inn
Wellington, New Zealand
“Squeaky beds!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

On arriving at fox glacier inn it appeared to be a really lovely place. I got the keys to my room and was pleasantly surprised to find a shower and toilet in the room. I met my two roommates shortly after who weren't exactly talkative so I got ready and went to the bar for some food and a well deserved drink after doing the glacier walk. The girl that took my order was lovely and talkative. Sitting in the restaurant alone was rather uncomfortable, there was people coming in to the bar who appeared to work there and I was getting funny looks, needless to say I finished my dinner and left. I went back to the room and climbed up onto my top bunk bed.....what a HORRIBLE squeaky bed it was! Even the slightest turn and it made the most awful noise. I didn't get a lot of sleep that night as it was noisy from top and bottom bunk, and the mattress was very thin and was digging in my back. The girl I was sharing the room with decided she would get up at 5am and have a shower,of course she had to put the light and the fan on and the shower was pretty loud too so we all got woke up early. Then she was flustering around in carrier bags (which should be banned in shared rooms!!)
Overall, not a good night at all. I will not be returning to fox glacier inn but the guy who was in charge was lovely and nothing personal against the motel, it is just the beds..

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Quebec City, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

My friend and I booked a twin room at this hostel to escape the camping routine for one night. I had to ring the bell 3 times before someones showed up. The room was pretty small which is fine but the bed were so uncomfortable that we hardly slept. There was some bad stain on our blanket and sheets.The bathroom were quite dirty as well but I dont know about lounge and kitchen area because we did not used it. The owner had bat attitude and I did not like the way he was looking at girls. We might have got the worst room but would definately go somewhere else next time..

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kelvia

Travelers are raving about these Fox Glacier hotels

Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

Due to some last minute changes on our trip, we were forced to stay in Fox Glacier for an extra night and the Holiday Park where we stayed the first night didn't have any availability. So, we found Fox Glacier Inn, which was central and affordable (we stayed in a four-bed mix dorm) for about 56 NZD. The room was cramped and damp so it was impossible to dry our wet clothes, however this is not the Inn's fault - it was very rainy for several days. The bathrooms are on the same floor as the rooms and are average - fairly clean, but I wouldn't walk barefoot on the floors. The showers were sufficient but not great water pressure. The kitchen downstairs was fairly small, but had all the cooking pots and utensils, so it was ok for one day. There is only one stove (the second one wasn't working). There is also a TV/hang-out room. Overall, if you can help it, I'd recommend staying at the Fox Glacier Holiday Park a few minutes away, but this place is ok for a night or two - there is so much to do at Fox that you probably won't be spending much time in your room anyway.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Wellington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

The host was very accommodating and kept engaged with everyone making sure we were comfortable during our stay. Having a meal at their own bar/restaurant is a MUST. Their lamb shank meal and lamb burgers are to die for!!

• Stayed December 2013
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

It seems there are few hostels in town so there is not really much choice here. Fox Glacier Inn appeared a reasonable option so I booked it up for my two nights in Fox. I arrived around 5:30, after taking a 10 hour naked bus from Nelson in the morning, and checked in. I then picked up some food from the one convenience store in town before returning to the hostel and chatting with the friendly guy on the front desk. I had asked whether I could run over to Lake Matheson, at which point he suggested I take the bike in the shed (for free). A couple hours later, I returned from the wonderful Lake Matheson a very happy customer. Great start....good staff always play a big part in what makes a hostel great.

The hostel itself works well, the rooms are of decent sizes (with a mix of single and bunk beds in the dorms) and the bathrooms are clean. The kitchen is also a decent size and there is a little TV room next door which no one really used whilst I was there. Given it covers the basics pretty well, its hard to really fault the Glacier Inn. That said, it can not really compare to hostels I have stayed in elsewhere as it does not really have any atmosphere (in the hostel itself, so maybe just pop to the pub) or the little touches that make a hostel more homely for travellers. This is not unexpected however since most people drop by for just a night or two so in all honesty, if you are looking for budget accommodation in Fox, look no further...the staff alone made the stay worthwhile.

Couple of other things before your visit: (a) they can also book things for you here, there is plenty of information on offer should you need it (b) personally, I would suggest that you do not leave without visiting Lake Matheson and the glacier view point beyond the Matheson turn off...the former is truly spectacular on a good day, incredible reflections (c) if you have space in your bags, pre-buy your food and drink in a supermarket before coming here as the convenience store is shockingly expensive. Other than that, I hope you have a great stay in Fox, all the best.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Timaru, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

The Ensuite room we had cost $100.00 and was not clean no toiletries in the bathroom. The room amplified the noise from the room above which prevented us from sleeping the bed was more double than queen. No remote for the TV not that we watched TV. You can hear the occupants of the next rooms snoring through the walls. The kitchen is small cramped and extremely warm. The laundry washing machines are set to hot and has no washing line only driers. The exterior paint and interior decorating is completed in an untradesman like fashion and lets the place down. The women at reception was wonderful but her male partner lets her down and needs to learn about the hospitality industry. This is back packer accommodation and not suitable for a good nights rest.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Beijing, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

The bar & restaurant is excellent, proving good food and warm atmosphere. The stuffs there are friendly, especially the manager. We enjoyed food very much.
It was raining on the day we arrive. The room is dark and damp, with a little bit musty smell. There was a small built in table in the room, but no suitable chair. There was no tower bar in the bathroom, that makes the bath uncomfortable. I understand this is a backpacker, but it can be better. There is one good thing for the room. It was quiet on that day.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Bella Vista Motel Fox Glacier
#2 of 10 in Fox Glacier
Fox Glacier TOP 10 Holiday Park
Sir Cedrics Chateau Franz Backpackers and Motel

Been to Sir Cedrics Fox Pod Hostel & Inn? Share your experiences!