“It's the owners attitude that we objected to..”

Bella Vista Motel Fox Glacier
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Fox Glacier
London, United Kingdom
“It's the owners attitude that we objected to..”
Reviewed March 28, 2011

There is a review below - 'Wow what a dump' that was actually written by my partner - 'he' - who management have taken the time to point out was very reasonable and polite - it is a great example of how much the owners pay attention. I am the 'she' referred to. I would like point out that the reason why HE felt he needed to write something was not to be vindictive but purely because the attitude we received when I called to say we had no hot water. So let me explain.
This is not a cheap motel, however we chose it mainly because it had a spa bath in the room. As we were doing hiking on the glacier we thought this would be nice. On night one there was no hot water at all. It was after 9pm and therefore I had to phone the owners and was told by Jill (I bothered to ask her name to make sure I knew who I was talking to rather than 'she') - 'there is nothing I can do about it, the people upstairs must have had a long shower - if you wait for an hour it might heat up'. Now I have worked in the service industry and I would have thought maybe a polite answer would have been nicer. "I'm sorry for your inconvinience" "let me see if there is another room" or something. I would also like to point out here that we were not offered complimentary use of the communal spa pool when I called or a refund. As far as "Jill" the owner was concerned that was the end of the matter when she put the phone down. It was only the NEXT day when we had to complain AGAIN that we had no hot water that my partner went to reception as it was earlier in the evening and came back with a complimentary pass and we were then given the extra difference between a spa room and a normal room - $10 per night which the owners obviously consider a partial refund. There was no apology for the fact we could not have a bath or shower at all for 2 evenings. We did use the spa and I'll add here a warning of the chemical levels in the spa pool - I am no expert but the smell of chemicals was overpowering, we could only manage about 5 mins in there before our eyes were stinging too much.
The thing is, as the owners have replied, these things happen. I have never written a bad review and would have let it blow over had I not been labelled as vindictive which is just rude. The reply has compelled me write something. I accept that there may be problems but I cannot accept the attitude I received on the phone which has been reitterated in the reply my partner received. It just shows what you can expect if there is a problem. So my advice - to the owners - if you are going to run a place that has problems, which you admit there are and you want people to accept those problems then change your attitude to your customers when they bring these to your attention.

5 Thank AEF15
bvfox, Owner at Bella Vista Motel Fox Glacier, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
To carry on with this critism and add further critism re our outdoor spa pool proves what vindictive guests we were dealing with. Our spa pool had recently been refilled with fresh water and had the recommended chemicals added. These further comments are unhelpful and I advise any guests reading this review to look at previous guests comments which give a balanced and positive review of both the motel and the operators.
Bill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
St. Cere
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Its modern and pretty much like all the other motels we stayed in apart from the cost which was top of our budget but then there isn't much choice at Fox. Room was spacious and we didn't have any of the noise problems other guests have reported. Room looked out on main road so not a place you would spend much time. Restaurants on the doorstep.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2011

I've stayed in lots of different types of places in lots of different countries and I'm very prepared to accept that you get what you pay for.....

But I also expect to get what is advertised.

The room was advertised as having a kitchenette.... which turned out to be a fridge and a microwave. It was supposed to have wifi.....which turned out to be cable only internet access which was only valid with one device.

Most crucially, I would think having hot water is a fairly basic expectation - especially if you've paid for the spa bath suite. Apparently though this isn't something they can guarantee....

Oh, and the TV didn't work.

Simply put; don't bother with this place. Poor accomodation combined with poor service.

3 Thank joef77
bvfox, Owner at Bella Vista Motel Fox Glacier, responded to this review, March 16, 2011
This review is unreasonable and the guest who has written it needs to retract her diatribe!!!!!!!!!
The following points need clarifying:
1. I've just been in the room (7.50am on day that guest departed ) the tv works fine !!!!! At no stage did the guest inform us or mention tv not working.
2. Wi-Fi - All our units have wi fi available, but as we are surrounded by mountains and bush often the wireless signal is distorted. For this reason we offer all guests the option of using a cable on their laptop. etc. Also the wired internet is alot faster than wi fi. The guest was given "COMPLIMENTARY" internet for 1 device with 1 password provided. The guest was advised that they could purchase another password for the 2nd device, which they declined.!!!!
3. As advised on the website the guest booked via, it states quite clearly that the unit has a microwave kitchenette (not full cooking). Obviously the guest overlooked this point.
4. From time to time all motels/hotels have a problem with hot water. Unfortunately the guest informed us that they ran out of hot water and we advised her that hot water would be available in approx 1 hour as our hot water system operates on a "quick recovery" system. She forgets to mention that they had "COMPLIMENTARY" use of our Spa Pool.
5. A partial refund was given to the guest for the incovenience casued through the lack of hot water.
6. We are independently rated 4 Star Plus by Qualmark NZ and as such find the guests discription of the motel offensive and ask that her comments be removed.

We host thousands of people annually and 99.9% leave our establishment very satisfied with their experience. It is unfortunate that the small majority of vindicative guests are quick to criticize and accordingly I ask the guest to remove the comments or at least be accurate.

I'd just like to point out personally I never dealt with the guest, but did speak to her partner who was very resonable and polite.
Brussels
Reviewed February 1, 2011

I agree with the views of other contributors that this motel does not give value for money. The equipment is minimal and the sound insulation between the rooms extremely poor. We were given a ground floor 1 bedroom unit and did not manage to get any sleep until the people staying on the first floor had all 4 had a noisy spa bath, watched TV and stopped moving the furniture. The noise was such that we could just as well have been present in their room and bathroom. Motel rooms are supposed to give you a nights sleep right ?

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Brusselscharlie
bvfox, Owner at Bella Vista Motel Fox Glacier, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
What a pity the person who wrote this review had not thought to contact Reception re the perceived noise.!!!!!
From time to time all motels/hotels suffer from inconsiderate guests who have no respect for other guests. A simple phone call from the Manager to the room concerned is all that is required to fix this problem. Our complex is only 2 1/2 yrs old and as such is built to a high standard which includes insulation etc under the current Building Codes.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2011

We had a ground floor superior room at the side of reception...Excellent up to date facilities for a motel....Kitchinette, with kettle, toaster, microwave, sink unit and full sized fridge....crockery and cutlery....Large queen sized bed, extremely comfortable, with additional bedding if needed. Tv and hair dryer also in unit...Use of guest laundry, iron and board available via reception...Lines for hanging clothes out also available at back of unit's....Quality modern bathroom, toilet and shower with a sliding door to devide it from sleeping area....Staff more than helpful and pleasant....and very approachable....Outdoor sauna available for use via reception..at a nominal charge.....Would highly recommend this accommodation for a stay if you are in the area....all local cafes and eateries 2 minute walk from the motel...

1 Thank babe33
Thanks for your honest review. We have thousands of guests who enjoy our facilities and hospitality and we appreciate you taking the time to write your review.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed January 6, 2011

for the price, this is not great. A very tiny room, barely enough space to fit a double bed... there must be better accommodation in Fox Glacier for this price!

calif
Reviewed January 4, 2011

It was mostly adequate but the sound insulation between the rooms was poor, bed was uncomfortable, and $10 for internet is too much.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fox Glacier
Aoraki Court Aoraki/Mt Cook Village
Sunset Motel
Sunset Motel
#6 of 10 in Fox Glacier

Been to Bella Vista Motel Fox Glacier? Share your experiences!