“Still the highlight of my son's round the world trip”

Glacier Helicopters
Experience for Yourself
More Info
$178.96*
and up
Franz Josef Glacier Helicopter Flight with Snow Landing
Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in Fox Glacier
More attraction details
Owner description: Glacier Helicopters offers a range of scenic helicopter flights from 20 minutes to 40 minutes. Charter flights are available and can vary from 20 minutes to several hours duration. Flights depart from Franz Josef Glacier and Fox Glacier. Our flights encompass the Mount Cook National Park, and both Franz Josef Glacier and Fox Glacier. Glacier landings are our specialty. Our helicopter flights allow people with limited time to “get away from it all” and experience area of New Zealand’s wilderness renowned for its outstanding natural beauty.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Portsmouth, UK
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Still the highlight of my son's round the world trip”
Reviewed March 19, 2009

We did the Fox Glacier to Mount Cook flight, with glacier landing in March 2008. We had booked to do a heli-hike the day before, but had been rained off. Our (then 11 year-old) son was desperately disappointed , particularly for not going in the helicopter. After much agonising on the cost (not that much cheaper than the heli-hike for much shorter experience) we decided to do the flight the following day before going to Queenstown. It was a beautiful day and great experience - you really get a much better feel for the sheer scale of the glacier. To see my son's face on taking off was worth it all. It is still his highlight of a round the world trip. If you can manage to afford it and are lucky with the weather - we'd really recommend it.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Wanaka, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An awesome experience”
Reviewed October 28, 2008

After just coming back from an awesome weekend at Franz Josef, I had to post on what has been one of the most amazing and memorable trips that I have ever done.

I took the Glacier Helicopters Mount Cook Spectacular trip and to say that my mouth was open in awe all the time would be a sheer understatement.

The 40 minute trip with snow landing had me taking at least 60 photos whilst listening to Jules our pilot provide interesting snippets about the area and the glaciers. In all, we flew the length of Franz Josef Glacier, circled Mount Cook, saw the Tasman Glacier, landed on the neve of Fox Glacier (more photos), before flying the length of Fox and then back to Franz Josef town.

Words really can't describe the whole experience, and although the trip costs NZ$385, in my opinion, it is definitely worth every single dollar.

If anyone is considering doing a scenic flight whilst at the glaciers, this has to be the one!!

1 Thank ChilliP