“A god-send at short notice”

Heritage Gateway Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Omarama
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Our stay was unplanned as we broke down on the way home from Canterbury to Central Otago. The reception staff couldn't have been friendlier and gave us an excellent quiet room over the reception area. We had to arrange a tow home and the management let us keep our room for the day at no cost - didn't check out unti 7PM. Brilliant! This enabled us to saunter around town. A visit to the Ladybird Winery and a 1hr glider flight didn't make for a cheap stay, but the Hotel and its staff were excellent.

Room Tip: If you can stay in the rear wing. There is a main road and a petrol station near at hand, so for qu...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JonnoG

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed one night on a 'bed and breakfast' deal in a superior room. The room was large, on the second floor and was clean and tidy. We were greeted with a friendly "come on in" at reception and directed to our room. The bed was very comfortable with a soft mattress cover. Breakfast was advised as being from 7 am to 10.00 am (Saturday). All was well until the morning when we went over to the Restaurant at 9.15 am to be greeted with a "You are the last people for breakfast and I wasn't sure if I should wait to see if you were coming or not". We were asked if we wanted the cooked breakfast and if so she would tell the cook to deliver up two breakfasts. After that was sorted we were advised we had to sit at "the table in the corner as the rest were set up for lunch". I had my eye on a table in the sun but alas we were banished to the other end of the restaurant in the shade. Obligingly we sat where we were directed to, and gathered our orange, toast and cereal. The cooked breakfast was generous and excellent. I rather think that the staff were allowed to go home when the last guest left, and the sooner all guests were through for breakfast the better for getting off home. After returning to reception to collect a duplicate key (I foolishly locked mine in the room in my haste to get to breakfast, although not hastily enough it seems) and to settle the bill. I was informed that the account was already debited to my credit card and was handed the receipt - I was not sure if I should be grateful for the efficiency of the reception lady or simply annoyed that once again they just seemed to want us off the premises as soon as they could arrange it. Yes, it was a great welcome but a disappointing finish the next morning - I wasn't sure if I would be rushing back. But wait before writing this hotel off altogether ......

As a post script to this mixed review I was contacted a couple of weeks later by Megan who rang to enquire if my credit card had been debited as another customer had been billed twice for his accommodation. It transpired that the receipt I was given showed that another customer had been charged for my stay as well as their own. I guess it is "Murphy's Law" in that once something goes wrong it just gets worse. Megan was very apologetic for the error and in light of my experience on the morning of my departure, graciously said she would not charge me for my stay. So, while I was disappointed at the events of the morning of my departure, Megan most certainly went the extra distance and put customer service ahead of profit. As she said, it was a lesson learned in many areas. I believe that weighing up everything, I would now recommend a stay at this hotel as the management do rate customer service and customer experience, and probably the morning staff do now too.

Room Tip: If you want morning sun or afternoon sun ask for an appropriately located room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed at the Heritage Gateway Hotel as it was part of my Kirra Tour. It is a motel-style older property, but is clean and well maintained. Staff were friendly and helpful. Our three course meal included corn soup (beautiful and warm!), buffet style min meal which included curry, rice, meat and vegetables and dessert. Room was large, clean and had adequate facilities. Room view was straight onto the main road outside.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We stayed at the Heritage Gateway Hotel while doing a trip to Tekapo. We had found a cheap offer online so only paid $99NZ for a night for two people, which included a full cooked breakfast. The room was spacious and had a king and a single bed. The bathroom was clean and it had a shower over the bath. The mattresses are not firm like we like them but we slept well enough even though we were facing the road, there was not much road noise after 9pm! The breakfast was basic, weetbix, cornflakes, or museli and baked beans, scrambled eggs, hash browns, sausages, toast, and fruit juice. What was horrible was that the tea had been brewed on a hot plate, and same with the coffee. I can't drink caffeinated teas so was hoping there was fruit or herbal teas but there wasn't just the pot of brewed tea! The French waiter was not in the least bit friendly and even though we were the only people in the restaurant didn't even bother clearing away our dirty plates, too busy making himself freshly ground coffee on the coffee machine (obviously not included in free breakfast unless you pay extra).
This hotel, while clean and tidy and good value for $100 is expensive if we had paid the full price. Would go back there but only if we got it for $100 again, not worth much more. And yes there were spiderwebs on the balconies up in the eaves which could do to be removed. This is such a beautiful part of the country and it is a shame that this hotel hasn't been brought into the 21st century with modernisation because there is not too many places to stay in Omarama and this would be the largest.

Room Tip: If you want to be away from road noise and the petrol station right next door, ask for a back bedroo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We read reviews of this hotel and booked a superior room. We expected views of the mountains and were not going to be worried about cobwebs on the balcony.
The first room we were offered was under the stairs! (Hard to believe isn't it?) It was dark with a view of stairs, the carpark and the petrol filling station. My husband asked for a brighter room with a view, and was offered a standard room which was smelly with a view of the carpark.
The reception then got unpleasant and told us that we could have that smelly room or one other room upstairs with views of the petrol filling station. We could choose, but there were no others and that's that! Phew! We forgot that we were guests and thought we were naughty children.
We had planned to eat in the hotel restaurant and possibly stay a second night, but after this unfriendly start we ate in a local restaurant and left early the next morning, leaving a feedback form describing our experience with the receptionist.
The hotel manager then emailed us to say he wanted to put things right and asking for a phone number. My husband replied when we got back home a week later, and sent a phone number. He didn't get a phone call. He tried to phone the manager three times. Each time, the manager wasn't there.
All in all, we do not recommend this place at all. There are so many nice places to stay, why waste your money with rude, unfriendly people.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank HillcrestTraveller
Reviewed April 28, 2012

This motel is an older property, but well-maintained. Our room was upgraded at no charge, and was large, clean, and comfortable. Staff was helpful. Overall, a good value for the price.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2012

We were booked through the tour company and had no choice.
The hotel more or less likes a motel.
We had an upstairs room, which was large with an extra single bed. The TV was far too small for the size of the room. The wardrobes very basic.
The dining area was Ok and the food nothing out of the ordinary.

The area around the hotel was quiet and it appeared that there was not much to see or do within the walking distance.

The charge for the Internet seemed higher than some of the other hotel on our tour.

Room Tip: Ask for room with balcony - inside courtyard is quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Omarama
17 mi away
#1 of 4 in Omarama
Ahuriri Motel Omarama
Ahuriri Motel Omarama
#2 of 4 in Omarama

Been to Heritage Gateway Hotel? Share your experiences!