“Don't miss it!”
Review of Owen River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Murchison
Owen River Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 11, 2011

One of the finest lodges I've seen -- anywhere. Located in a narrow valley several miles from the nearest town, it's quiet, relaxing and comfortable. The food is outstanding, as is the wine list. Felix and the staff will do whatever it takes to make your stay an enjoyable one.
The lodge is 50 yards from the river and some of the best fishing on the South Island. The guides are unsurpassed in both their knowledge of the fishery and their ability to put their client in the proper position to hook the most challenging fish.
This is the second year we've stayed at Owen River Lodge. We're coming back next year. Wouldn't miss it.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Owen River Lodge

Reviewed March 6, 2011

Felix Borenstein, the owner and operator of Owen River Lodge, is a successful businessman and enthusiastic fisherman. He's got great guides and the fishing is as good as it can be in New Zealand. (In other words, it rained exactly when I was trying to catch fish so I was virtually skunked three out of four days, but the other day was outstanding -- I caught six fish including a handsome 8-lb brown trout.) But the interesting part is that Felix has also optimized to make the business successful by providing outstanding service and managing a first class facility. The rooms are clean and large and have excellent fixtures. The lodge itself is warm and comfortable. The meals are delicious. Etc. Etc. One small touch that I've never seen before -- the rooms have a fresh ground packet of coffee, a water heater and a French press plunger; the fist time I've ever been able to make a good cup of coffee in my room, even in most high-end urban hotels!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Felix, the owner & host of Owen River Lodge earns well deserved praise for the quality of many aspects of The Lodge. Service was above and beyond expectations, Felix tolerating even the most outspoken of guests (me - after 2 glasses of the stunning NZ wines on offer). The rooms are large, airy, screened and with superb picture windows that overlook the river and the valley. The Lodge gardens are beautifully designed and flow down to the riverside, inviting inspection and meandering. My personal favourites were the flawless brilliance of chef Ryan and the divine comfort of the bed. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the guided fly fishing, catching the biggest brown trout of his fly fishing "holiday career" - 9lbs!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Owen River Lodge is one of the best fishing lodges we have ever been to.
The rooms are spacious, beautifully decorated with great attention for detail.
With a host like owner Felix you cannot wish for better, more personalized service.
Guests feel very welcome and truly at home. Everything is organised to perfection, both for people who want to spend their days fishing, as well as for partners staying at the lodge to relax or explore the magnificent scenery. Every meal at Owen River Lodge is a feast. Certainly a place to come back to,again and again!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2011

My wife and I recently stayed at Owen River Lodge for 4 nights.

Let me first state that neither of us fish. We came simply to use the lodge as a home base as we explored the area and parks around it. At the time of booking we wondered if this would be a problem, inasmuch as this lodge is basically billed as the ultimate fly-fishing experience (which - as far as I can tell - it really is).

We shouldn't have worried - this place is simply fantastic, whether you care for fish or not.

The setting for the lodge is postcard-New Zealand. Mountains, a gorgeous stream and valley, forests, sheep, orcs, hobbits etc. When one travels in NZ one gets jaded to superlative scenery, but even so the lodge is certainly in a picturesque location.

The rooms are good and nicely laid out, with porches facing the river and mountains. I wouldn't call the accommodations luxurious, but they're certainly adequate. (And if you're looking for luxury suites you probably shouldn't be hanging out in backcountry NZ anyway).

The dinners at the lodge were *fantastic*, some of the best I've ever had. We're not easily impressed in this domain and so this was a nice surprise. Throw in some great NZ wines and one can have a fine time, whether you actually caught fish or not.

Everyone eats at a common table. There was an interesting mix of people on hand at all times and it made for great conversation. Fishing is the big theme - of course - but not the only theme. We never felt left out. (And, over time, I even began to appreciate the fishing stories and strategic fishing discussions).

The lodge is run extremely well, to 5-star standards. Everything is done promptly and expertly. A professional setup. It's also an intimate place, where everyone knows everyone else pretty quickly.

I can't say much about the fishing, except to remark that some guests were having much fun catching extremely large trout.

Fishing aside, if you want to pair 5-star experience with wilderness New Zealand I can't think of a better place.

Lastly, if you do go, please give Keeley a hug for us.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kakapo888
Reviewed January 16, 2011

We are 'repeat offenders' as Felix would say this is our second trip to Owen River Lodge and it was everything we wished for. We came at the same time last year for a shorter period, this time we booked a couple of days more next time it will be longer again. My husband is the angler and he had a wonderful time catching 2 brown and I joined him in his exploits on the last day and saw how high a trout can jump, it was amazing unfortunately the camera was not rolling. Though we do have photo's to confirm the catches.

What can I say about Owen River Lodge we were pampered, relaxed and just had a wonderful time. The days that I did not join my husband I spent totally relaxing around the lodge and in my cabin it was what I needed after a hectic year. Felix even arranged a massage in the middle of the holiday season, which was heaven. It is perfection. Felix's lodge and accommodation is 5 star in everyway. From the wonderful views to beautiful well appointed cabins. They have everything that you can wish for the Linda Leaves Toiletries are to die for the beds are so comfortable. The rooms are quite and so spacious, with every touch down to complimentray softdrinks, plunger coffee and home made biscuites and cake. Felix makes you feel at home as do all the staff and friends.

Whilst our stay was only for 5 days we met some very interesting and lovely people, dining together was wonderful not subject seemed to be off the menu. We had arranged to be at the lodge over New Year as on our first visit Felix put on the best Fireworks display even to rival the Sydney Harbour Fireworks and this visit it did not disappoint, I think it was even better 2010/11.

The Meals are fantastic, they are 5 star Ryan is a world class chef and nothing is too much trouble, all 3 courses were magnificant, breakfast, picinic lunches and dinners were superb. Louise the weekend chef was a fanastic as well along with Lillian Anne's breakfast and picnic lunches. The afternoon nibbles are wonderful and what can I say about the wine but superb and what a range.

Felix, Nikki, Keeley, Ryan, Louise and Lilly-Anne feel like family they go out of their way at all stages to make your experience at the Lodge wonderful. There had been flooding in New Zealand and Felix rang us before we left Christchurch to advise the road had been closed and suggested alternatives. During the Queensland floods (as we are Queenslanders) we wer kept in formed if we looked like we might be effected. Felix even contacted us when we were home to ensure that we had survived the floods, no other owner would be that thoughtful.

I could keep singing their praises however running out of room. All I can say is thanks for a wonderful experience and we will be back.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Spent a week this past December at the Owen River Lodge, what a gem! Felix the owner goes above and beyond to make sure you are looked after. The grounds and views from the lodge are gorgeous. We spent a few days fishing and taking in local sights and activities. Everything was perfect from the guest cottages to the daily packed lunches to the scrumptious dinners each evening. Best surprise of all was the lodge dog "Keeley" who was adorable, she kept our daughters entertained the whole week. Hope to get back to New Zealand one day and will be booking the Owen River Lodge!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murchison
Alpine Lodge
RiverSong Cottages
RiverSong Cottages
#6 of 6 in Murchison
Kiwi Park Motels and Holiday Park

Been to Owen River Lodge? Share your experiences!