“Outstanding Experience”
Review of Owen River Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Murchison
Owen River Lodge
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Outstanding Experience”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My first trip to NZ. Trip was focused on hunting big fish. The lodge was perfect. very attractive, very comfortable, exceedingly clean and well done. nothing over the top. just comfortable and exactly what we were looking for to really feel like we were welcome. anything we needed, felix was on it. food was terrific and things were adaptable to our tastes and preferences. i would go back in an instant. in fact, i won't even shop around the next time i go.

thanks felix.

Room Tip: all rooms are about the same
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This was the most relaxing and enjoyable holiday I can remember. Owen river lodge is superb. Felix’s lodge delivers everything that is promised, and then some. From the idyllic grounds to the magnificent outlook over snow capped mountains (we were there in October). And the food? Ryan is a sensational chef. What made it special where the little touches, like homemade biscuits and ground coffee in the mini bar and no TV in the rooms-brilliant! Felix made us feel so welcome, nothing was too much trouble; in fact all the staff where warm and welcoming. I can absolutely recommend having a hot tub under the stars- truly amazing. Just a brilliant holiday. Great fishing. Wonderful country.

Room Tip: They're all good!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Galveston Island, Texas
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Spent two wonderful nights with my fiance early Nov and had a wonderful stay with Felix and crew taking great care of us..almost impossible to leave, food was excellent ...also thanks to big Steve for putting me on some great fish.. just make sure you fish at least two days there or longer or you''ll lose sleep... when can I go back?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
South Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I've just returned from a 5 day stay at Owen River Lodge and it far exceeded my expectations in every regard. The experience was simply superb! From my pick up at the Nelson airport to my departure I could not have asked for more; every detail and aspect of my stay spoke to an attention to detail and customer satisfaction that is rarely found anywhere in the travel industry today.
The lodge is set in a gorgeous valley that reflects the peaceful, pastoral surroundings of the region. The rooms are immaculate, quiet and comfortably furnished. Meals are served in a common dining room which allows a chance to meet other guests in an environment that is conducive for casual intermingling and lively conversation. The food is simply outstanding!! Ryan, the chef, is creatively finding ways to prepare locally sourced meals that will amaze each and every day; this is not the fare one would anticipate finding at a "fishing lodge", but rather a gourmet restaurant that happens to be available footsteps from your room. Sharon, and all the rest of the staff who assist with meal service, are friendly, efficient and attentive.
And then there is the fishing, which is the attraction for most to this location. Felix, the owner, is an avid fly fisherman himself, and has clearly figured out how to impart his expertise into how to optimize this part of the experience. The guides are incredibly knowledgeable and experienced (and, essential for the sighting of trout), the equipment is all top flight and obviates the need to bring your own, and the days on the rivers themselves are beyond compare if you enjoy challenging fishing for large brown trout.
A stay at Owen River Lodge feels more like visiting with family than any vacation I have ever taken, with a caring, personalized and friendly atmosphere permeating every part of one's stay. I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: All have outstanding views; I don't think you can find an unappealing view in this part of New Z...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Wow! 6 days / nights of the ultimate experience.
Where do I start with the praise?

Let’s start from the point of arrival; Felix the Owner, Manager, considerate host, gentleman and by the end of the trip, a friend, was there to personally greet me and gave me a tour of the Lodge and all it’s offerings. I knew right from that point that this place was going to be special, and I was not wrong. From thereon it was true bliss.

Some key points of this magnificent lodge experience:

The Location:
Nestled amongst some of New Zealand’s South Island picturesque scenery, along Owen River, near 30 quality trout rivers. Awesome!

The Accommodation:
A modern facility, with a touch of classic country feel. Well laid out, crisp, clean, very comfortable including a well positioned outdoor spa with the Owen River as its backdrop. Add to that a few little extras that are suited to the fly fisher (eg. free use of fly fishing gear) and life’s pretty good.

The Food:
5 star top quality without a doubt. Ryan would have to be one of the most talented and personable chefs I have met. Thankyou Ryan!

The Service:
Felix has really done well here and surely leads by example, for his passion of quality and natural flair for making people feel comfortable is echoed throughout all of his team. Nothing was an issue and the whole team was always willing to help.

The fishing:
With so many quality trout rivers nearby it’s already hard to beat, but add to that some of New Zealand South Island’s best guides, well! Now you got a recipe for some unforgettable fishing. This was the first time I fished with a guide(s) and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that a local guide will put you onto more fish! Thankyou to my guides Greg & Paul.

I cannot praise Felix and his team enough for developing such a fantastic facility.

Thankyou for 6 nights / days of gourmet food, amazing fly fishing for Trout, great company and total relaxation (apart from chasing those trout downstream).

Look forward to seeing you all again soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I spent a lovely couple of days at the Owen River Lodge. Being from the North Island of NZ, my husband had a 'Bucket List' must do 'to fly fishing in the South Island'.

Owen River Lodge is gorgeous with stunning surrounds. Felix and his crew provided amazing service, beautiful food and very enjoyable company.
We shall return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My father and I were fortunate enough to stay at Owen River Lodge for four amazing nights. We were both first-time fly fishermen, and we could not have had a more enjoyable introduction to this fantastic sport. Felix could not have been more accommodating, and the food, location, accommodation and hire equipment was all of the absolute highest quality. I would highly recommend this experience to anyone interested in fly fishing, from absolute beginners (like us) to experts. Paul, our fishing guide, was unbelievably patient with Dad and I, and we would not have caught a single fish or had anywhere near as much fun without him. (For the record we caught fish every day!) Thank you to everybody at Owen River Lodge - we look forward to returning again very soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murchison
Alpine Lodge
RiverSong Cottages
RiverSong Cottages
#6 of 6 in Murchison
Tophouse Historic Guesthouse Cafe & Bar

Been to Owen River Lodge? Share your experiences!