“Best value for money we found in the South Island!”

The Cow Shed Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Murchison
Cuisines: International, New Zealand
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Cow Shed Restaurant is currently closed for renovation! Re-opening in the Spring
North Mackay, Australia
“Best value for money we found in the South Island!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

What a great little restaurant! We had to spent a night in Murchison and were expecting to have a pub meal...bangers and mash or similar. On a walk around the town we noticed a sign for a restaurant behind the local backpackers accommodation, even though it appeared to be attached to the backpackers and thus potentially less exciting than the pub we decided to check the menu....WHAT A FIND!! the meals were excellent, extremely tasty and well presented; The service was great, and overall the Cowshed is the best value for money we have experienced anywhere in the South Island ($40.00 for three courses and coffee p/p). We have paid twice as much at 5 star restaurants in cities in NZ and walked away disappointed. We recommend anyone who has the opportunity visit this restaurant to enjoy its fare.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Bob C

Nelson
“Murchison's Hidden Gem”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Wow Murchison has at long last a special place to eat that has friendly and professional service, an intimate setting,great ambience and fantastic food. This restaurant is tucked away below The Lazy Cow Backpackers glowing in an orange aura. The bright orange canopy over the door sets the scene.
The entrees choice is hard to make but I choose the blue cheese soufflé which just melts in my mouth. My mains after much indecision is pork belly. Unbelievable! The crackling is crisp salty and plentiful,the pork is moist and tender served with an apple and cider gravy. I have been back to eat the belly pork several times. Everytime a winner. I start thinking about it on the journey to the restaurant and it never fails to excel. Did I have space for a dessert?? Well with a bit of arm twisting I managed to tuck away a banoffee pavlova resplendent with toffee sauce and bananas. Yummy. The service with Phil and Halley is welcoming and friendly. Ali in the kitchen is certainly an amazing chef. Her taste combinations work well together and the plate presentation sets the standard. Downside. You have to book or you miss out and that would be catastrophic. I am checking out the Friday night casual curry club. No booking just rock up. I'll let you know or maybe I won't . I don't want to share this special place with too many.

• Visited April 2013