“Lovely Café with nice atmosphere and great food”

The Commercial Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Murchison
The Commercial Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Murchison B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I tried various dishes and I liked everything. Especially coffee and freshly home made cakes and daily changing muffins were great! Good food selection (vegetarian, gluten free) and high quality (free range eggs and chicken). All in all a nice place which I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have been staying in Murchison for many years. In years past the Commercial was a very nice restaurant...but not now. We stayed in Murchison for 10 days and planned to eat there 3-4 times but after our first time we all agreed we wouldn't go back. The food was not good, the staff not well trained and the owner appeared more interested in chatting with a couple of guys playing pool than in our four top. I hope this review will be a wake up call but from what I could see I doubt it. It's a shame because the Commercial use to put out some good food.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank JBWyoming
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This used to be a decent Kiwi cafe, a few years ago...ate dinner in January 2013 and had an awful meal, the Venison Hot Pot was hideous, food from the 1950's, tough stew meat which is ridiculous since there are venison herds grazing all around Murchison, in brown gravy, ugh! Terakihi fish was old,
Another ridiculous thing since Nelson, the seaport is only 90 minutes from Murchison and the Greek Salad was really bad, not real feta, bad dressing,
All in all a total waste of $75 NZ, save your money, and your palate, go anywhere else in Murchison but not to the Commercial..

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Have been to The Commercial Hotel restaurant twice and the meals were delicious. The first time I ordered the chef's signature Beef Cheek dish - something I had never had before but was pleasantly surprised; it was exquisite. The second time I had their freshly baked garlic flat bread followed by the grilled Tarakihi and likewise I was not disappointed. I had no room for desserts but I'll be back to rectify that! The setting is very nice, I don't know what it looked like before but the recent renovations made to its interior seem to have added something special to this restaurant/bar. The service is good, and international... As a traveller, it was indeed strange but fun and interesting being served by waiters from France, Germany and England respectively.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 6, 2012

beware!!!!. our first impression of this place was quite good. the interiour looks a bit "selfmade" but we liked it.
But than we ordered "freshly baked baguette" , the "tomato soup" and a "sole" .
The so called freshly baked Baguette was a "maybe" freshly brought Baguette from the grocery store. It was heated up though ;o). I guess the kitchen ran out of baguette, so they decided to put some random old pita bread next to some baguette on my plate. The only fresh thing about that dish were the useless fresh green herbs on it. the tomato soup had the typical "sugar and vinegar " taste of canned pasta sauce and ketchup...
we started getting bit nervous because of our maincourse : the sole.
the sole arrived. it was covered with fish-protein flakes. which usually come out when you cook the fish much to hot.
i tried a tiny bit and it was dry as it looked like. the fish tasted absolutely horrible and had the smell of very old fish. i never had a worse fish in my whole life. disgusting.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Poens, Owner at The Commercial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant.
We all remember you vividly and we certainly are disappointed to find that you were not satisfied with our service.
Your comments with regards to our food are certainly not typical, and although we felt we did everything within reason to accommodate your needs, we apologize that we failed to do so.
We do hope that the remainder of your trip to New Zealand was most enjoyable.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

Could have sat here all day by the fire, it was so warm and cosy!! In fact we nearly did! Coffee was awesome, service was great and the blueberry muffins fantastic!! Totaly reccomend! Will defo be grabbing a coffee next time im through!

Room Tip: Would love to have seen the rooms! The cafe was set up really cosy, felt like you were at home if th...