All reviews brown trout fly fisherman new zealand feeding fish dry fly log cabins are wonderful hosts the main lodge his knowledge top class other guests scott surrey pounds success skills world
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Scott and Leya are excellent hosts, in a wounderfully maintained and quality built world class fishing lodge. My son Zack and I took a week and stayed at River Haven. We were limited by my son's short time away, so our experience although excellent, was too short. Take time to be with River Haven more than a week. You'll be glad you did. Even though this was my son's first fly fishing experience, our guide was able to get him on a fish and was able to experience New Zealand Brown Trout on the fly rod. EXCITING!! The welcoming feeling, accommodations, atmosphere, meals, professional fishing guide service, and overall experience was simply outstanding for a father-son trip, or for anyone. I highly recommend the River Haven experience to anyone looking for a great fishing experience in as beautiful a landscape and with as friendly hosts as you will find anywhere. I look forward to visiting my friends Scott and Leya again soon.
Bruce Fox
Hamer, Idaho
USA

Room tip: The cabins are all appointed well, and have everything you would ever need. Kitchenettes, TV, and full baths.
Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have now fished with Scotty on 8 trips and can only say that he really is the best guide I have ever fished with. The quality of the fishing is out of this world, the food is excellent and the accomodation top notch. I will (and do) go back in a heartbeat as Scotty and Leya have really become friends. Visiting and fishing with them has become way more than just another fishing trip.

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Fishing with Scott is always a joy, because from the moment you first meet him you are fishing with a friend, and because of his uncanny ability to find fish even in difficult conditions. Scott and his team are superb guides, and I learn so much being guided by these experts. Local knowledge is critical to fishing success, especially in New Zealand, and using the New Haven team maximises the fishing experience and gives opportunities to fish pristine water you would never discover otherwise. I have lodged and fished with Scotty for a number of years now, and it is one of the highlights of my fishing calendar because I know I am going to have a wonderful holiday and be challenged with great fishing. The accommodation at Haven Lodge is excellent and well set up for both fisherman and wives! Leya and Scotty are great hosts, and the food and wine is always very good. Very hard to go past this as a fishing destination in the South Island.

Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I cannot recommend a better fly fishing guide than Scott Murray. Scotty's ability to locate and spot fish is absolutely amazing. My wife was guided to a brown trout so BIG ... that when you turn the photo sideways ... the trout looks like its holding her! This is that kind of trip that you will find yourself day dreaming about all the time. Leya and Scotty are wonderful hosts and I'm sure you will enjoy the warm hospitality of the lodge. Life is short ... go fish with Scotty ... you will not regret it!

Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We have fished all over both islands in New Zealand for over a dozen years and have sent numbers of clients to experience the thrill of stalking trophy trout in their crystalline streams. No where in New Zealand can finer, more patient and experienced, expert guides be found than Scotty Murray and his associates at River Haven. In New Zealand, fishing success is driven more by your guide than any fishery in the world. The “right” guide uses his local knowledge and access to get you on the “right” stretch of water at the best possible time, regardless of conditions. Scotty and his group definitely have the “right” stuff.

The accommodations and ambiance of River Haven’s cabins provide a comfortable and welcoming foundation for a wonderful New Zealand fly fishing experience. The overall experience provided at River Haven by Leya and Scotty Murray is as good as it gets in NZ.

Don Muelrath