All reviews brown trout fly fisherman new zealand feeding fish dry fly log cabins are wonderful hosts the main lodge his knowledge top class other guests scott surrey pounds success skills world
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Come to River Haven if you want to catch fish!! This place is perfect and perfectly laid out for genuine fisherman who are interested in fly-fishing for Brown Trout. Scott is one of the best guides you will ever get. He is able to not just see the fish and/or pick where they will be but like any good guide, he works out how good you are and positions you accordingly. A trip with him is like attending a university refresher course in trout fishing.

The accommodation is also excellent. His wife, Leya, runs the accommodation. The food is good, and the service is very good . You learn a lot with Scott and you have a very comfortable time when you are not fishing. I will be going back probably on an annual basis, as long as I can crawl in and out of rivers.

Date of stay: January 2013
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I went to River Haven lodge already two times and everything was perfect. I'm crazy about flyfishing and this lodge is really the place to be for trout bums like me !
When you organize a trip like this from europe you have to be sure to find the right place to stay and fish, I found there more than just a high quality lodge but friends and I feel now like at home with Leya and Scotty.
The cabins are really confortable, the guiding just fantastic and the food and wines (and this is important for french like us !) very good.
For flyfishermen a trip of a lifetime waits for you here.

Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have travelled from London to fish with Scott Murray every year for the last 14 years, and quite often twice a year. Scott always finds good fishing even in the most unpromising conditions. He just wants you to catch fish and enjoy yourself. He is great with beginners as well as more experienced anglers.
Scott's guiding team reflect his enthusiasm and skill. Every Lodge claims to have the best guiding team, but I have never experienced better than Riverhaven offers.
Staying at Riverhaven is always a pleasure. The cabins are luxurious, the food great and the welcome from Leya Murray is warm and solicitous. What's not to like?
I have been fortunate to have flyfished in many great destinations in the world, and have settled on brown trout in the Murchison area of New Zealand as the pinnacle of flyfishing experience. I have enjoyed every trip with Scott, catching fish from 2 to 16lbs. It's just great. I am already looking forward to my next trip.
John Part, London

Room tip: All the cabins are good. Mangles has the best wifi!
Date of stay: April 2013
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I spent 9 days of best pure trout fishing ever. I have fished in many places around the world but nothing can compare to the entire RIVER HAVEN LODGE experience from the fishing to the food & accommodation . Scotty & Leya Murray run a great show . GO THERE YOU WONT WANT TO LEAVE !!

Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed at River Haven for a few days of fantastic fishing and eating. Scotty has a way of making you feel like you're fishing with an old friend, except that your old friend is going to put you on more big fish than any actual old friend could or would. His guiding skills are without a doubt the best I've ever experienced in 30 some years of fishing.

When you're not on the river, the hospitality is fantastic. The food is excellent, as is the beer selection. The rooms and property were magical.

I can't imagine a more authentic, fulfilling destination for a NZ fishing trip... I will definitely be going back.

Date of stay: April 2013