All reviews backpacker room national park ski hire packed lunch sliding door bunk beds two nights mt ruapehu fantastic location family room wings spa backpackers cabin accommodation skiing snow
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

The Skotel had just changed hands when we arrived, and systems were a bit iffy making the payment process a bit cumbersome. However, the service received by the excellent staff was nothing short of superb. The food is excellent, the views from the bar and lounge are astounding and the location is perfect. We were there for the Northern Circuit walk, which starts literally at the back door of the hotel (and finishes just near the front door!). Shuttle buses for the Alpine Crossing pick up and drop off at the front door. And did I mention the staff - they bent over backwards to help and make our stay comfortable, even opening up the coffee machine especially for us when we were duped by the weather (it was too early for a beer)! Rooms were comfortable and warm, and very reasonably priced.

Room tip: Backpacker rooms are basic, but comfortable for 1 night. The hotel rooms are very comfortable, though a bit more expensive.
Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Howard K
Skotel, Owner at Skotel Alpine Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your lovely feedback & we are certainly glad you enjoyed your stay. It really is a beautiful part of the world. Yes changing over all the computer & operating systems in the hotel was a bit of a mission & took some wrestling into shape, especially as we couldn't stop operating during the change over. We hope you come back to visit us again & I will pass on your kind words to the staff.

Reviewed November 9, 2018

The owner, manager, wait staff, and receptionists were incredibly warm, welcoming, and helpful during my stay in Tongariro. The food was excellent (ask for the vegetarian pizza!), the lodging was cozy with a terrific view of Mt Tongariro in the lounge area, and the staff were extremely helpful in organizing epic sight-seeing. I couldn't recommend this hotel more:)

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Skotel, Owner at Skotel Alpine Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2018

Thank you Kalifi, it was a absolute pleasure having you here, we are glad we were able to help you in your studies/work on World National Parks. Come back & visit us again soon.

Reviewed October 29, 2018

My partner arranged a trip to the mountains for my birthday recently. The Skotel is an inspiring sight cradled beneath Ruapehu, and I was treated some pretty spectacular sights on the drive there. Check-in was easy breezy and the receptionist was super friendly and knowledgeable. After that we immediately took a dip in their indoor, private spa which was really atmospheric and romantic. I had the pleasure of speaking to the owners' and some of the staff too, all of which made us feel like VIPs, they were so welcoming. Our room was cosy and had that authentic lodge feeling to it that I personally crave, and my partner couldn't stop staring at the view. The restaurant topped it all off and earn's Skotel 5 stars in my opinion; a warm, open environment with a delicious dinner and breakfast menu. I'm generally really fussy over what I eat too, so I appreciated the skill that went into our meals - hats off to the chef. If I ever work up the courage to go skiing again I will definitely stay again and hopefully for longer next time around. Might get married there one day.

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Skotel, Owner at Skotel Alpine Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2018

Wow!!! A destination wedding, we would love to do one of those, all of us here at Skotel are super excited about your story. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your compliments to Ben our chef, he is fabulous & we appreciate him so much.

Reviewed October 28, 2018 via mobile

I expected to be tramping the northern circuit for 4 days but bad weather drove me to do it in two. I spent my extra days feeling very warm and welcome at skotel. Kerry on the desk was delightful especially when i arrived wet, hungry and tired. She allowed me to shower, do my laundry and eat in the communal kitchen before my checkin. And for the two days, i enjoyed real hospitality in the resturant, and relaxed in the sauna. Bliss. I am so very grateful. The photo is the view from my breakfast table.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo
Skotel, Owner at Skotel Alpine Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2018

We at Skotel are glad that you managed to rest & revive a little while you were here. Kerri is a little delighted at the mention lol. Love your photo, it really does capture the amazing view we have right here in the National Park. Thank you for your kind review and we hope to see you back here one day soon.

Reviewed October 12, 2018 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Skotel the night before doing the Tongariro Crossing. The first room we were allocated had a non-functioning heater, and after the receptionist begrudgingly moved us to another room, we had a poor night’s sleep in another budget room. Worth looking elsewhere for a nicer option.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Samclarkson, Owner at Skotel Alpine Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2018

The Skotel was sold to new owners 1/10/18. We agree that many aspects of the 'old' Skotel need improvement, we are excited to see what we can achieve over the next few months. Functioning heaters is one of them! Some changes can be instant, some take time. We hope you'll love the 'new' Skotel!