The Skotel has both hotel style rooms, chalets and in the summertime a hostel - this review is about the hostel. In the winter the Hostel is used as accomodation for the Mount Ruapehu ski-lift workers but the Skotel has use of these rooms in the summer. There is a variety of single, twin, and double rooms mostly without bathrooms. There is a large communal bathroom in one wing (4 closed in showers and 4 private toilets) and another 2 toilets in another room near the main lounge and a single bathroom in the smaller west wing. Lots of hot water and they are cleaned each day. The bedrooms are clean and functional with clean towels each day and plenty of heating if needed. The quality of the beds is "by chance". We have stayed before in two different rooms with double beds. They were soft and saggy with lots of roll together so this time went for a twin room. One bed was great, the other should be thrown in the trash. There is a very large communal kitchen with all you need. Large stove, microwave, fridge (but no freezer) and plenty of plates, cups, cooking gear and so on. The rooms can be somewhat noisy so forget about sleeping in, as there is always lots of people getting up at 6am to do the Tongariro Crossing walk. The Skotel has a laundry in the hotel area plus a small spa and sauna which hostel guests can use plus a Restaurant and Bar - this is not that good a value. If you do not want to cook your own food in the hostel kitcken (and meet travellers from all round the world) the is a pub 250 metres down the road which has large cheap meals and beer on tap. The price of NZ$60 per night for a twin room is reasonal value for New Zealand and would be great value if the beds were better. A handy place to stay for a day or two.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Skotel was established in the early 60s by a group of keen skiers who wanted the convenience of accommodation close to the ski-fields but more comfort than the ski lodges of that time. In 1986 it underwent a major expansion with the addition of restaurant, bar and other facilities. The old part of the building became the backpacker’s wing. Skotel has maintained its friendly informal atmosphere but now provides Qualmark three star accommodation and the exciting cuisine experiences of our new dinner menu. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Skotel Alpine Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Skotel Alpine Hotel Whakapapa Village
- Holiday Inn Tongariro National Park