Myself, my wife, and my 2 adult kids stayed in the cabins for 2 nights in Mar. 2014. The cabin was sort of neat but a little old and rustic looking. The double bed was ok but the mattresses were only foam in the bunk beds. Probably ok for little kids but not older ones. The cabin did have a kitchen but we did not use it. They did have 100mb of free internet but it didn't last long. I can't remember the manager's name at the front desk but she was very friendly and helpful. The dining room was sort of expensive but the food was excellent and you can't beat the views of Mt. Doom from the bar.There are not a lot of other places to eat or to buy groceries in the village as this is basically a skiing village. There is a great 2 hour walking trail right next to the lodge while we also climbed the mountain at the top of the ski lift. The main lodge looks like it needs some repairs but I definitely would stay in the cabin again because it is different and you can't beat the views of the volcanoes during the day and the stars at night.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Skotel was established in the early 60s by a group of keen skiers who wanted the convenience of accommodation close to the ski-fields but more comfort than the ski lodges of that time. In 1986 it underwent a major expansion with the addition of restaurant, bar and other facilities. The old part of the building became the backpacker’s wing. Skotel has maintained its friendly informal atmosphere but now provides Qualmark three star accommodation and the exciting cuisine experiences of our new dinner menu. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your Skotel Alpine Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Skotel Alpine Hotel Whakapapa Village
- Holiday Inn Tongariro National Park