We arrived at the hotel in torrential rain - but found the staff welcoming and helpful -
We had booked budget rooms - 2, advertised as with tea and coffee - but one room did not have this - though the other had a TV etc.
Beds were comfy - both doubles but the layout of the room weird with beds pushed against the walls, so one person had to climb over the other to get in or out.
Found the rooms tired but clean and tidy. - The temperature was perfect. The outlook was why we booked here - along with the close proximity to the walks we wanted to do.
FOOD - there is no access to food or drink until 5 pm - tough if you have been on the road or tramping since early morning.
Some of the food being delivered to tables for dinner looked lovely - how ever our experience was not so...
- Salad ordered with chicken and no tomato - arrived with tomato and no chicken - the tomato was removed - luckily the person who ordered it just doesn't like it tomato as if she was allergic would have had a real problem.
- The seafood chowder - weird, sweet and with tomato ( maybe a quirt of tomato sauce!) and the seafood was ground- could have been chicken or anything. It was returned to the kitchen as it was cold. (They did not bill me.)
-The risotto ordered by my partner - nice but the steamed veges served with it were cold - seemed pre frozen.
After this I stayed safe and had a cheese board - nice cheese and grapes -
Coffee was great as was the Sauna... Would visit again but probably pay a little more and eat at the Chateau. A pity as the view from this restuarant was amazing - and if the weather had been better I would have loved eating on the deck.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Skotel was established in the early 60s by a group of keen skiers who wanted the convenience of accommodation close to the ski-fields but more comfort than the ski lodges of that time. In 1986 it underwent a major expansion with the addition of restaurant, bar and other facilities. The old part of the building became the backpacker’s wing. Skotel has maintained its friendly informal atmosphere but now provides Qualmark three star accommodation and the exciting cuisine experiences of our new dinner menu. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, Orbitz, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Skotel Alpine Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Skotel Alpine Hotel Whakapapa Village
- Holiday Inn Tongariro National Park