“Lovely location - Pity about the food -”

Skotel Alpine Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Whakapapa
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We arrived at the hotel in torrential rain - but found the staff welcoming and helpful -
We had booked budget rooms - 2, advertised as with tea and coffee - but one room did not have this - though the other had a TV etc.
Beds were comfy - both doubles but the layout of the room weird with beds pushed against the walls, so one person had to climb over the other to get in or out.
Found the rooms tired but clean and tidy. - The temperature was perfect. The outlook was why we booked here - along with the close proximity to the walks we wanted to do.
FOOD - there is no access to food or drink until 5 pm - tough if you have been on the road or tramping since early morning.
Some of the food being delivered to tables for dinner looked lovely - how ever our experience was not so...
- Salad ordered with chicken and no tomato - arrived with tomato and no chicken - the tomato was removed - luckily the person who ordered it just doesn't like it tomato as if she was allergic would have had a real problem.
- The seafood chowder - weird, sweet and with tomato ( maybe a quirt of tomato sauce!) and the seafood was ground- could have been chicken or anything. It was returned to the kitchen as it was cold. (They did not bill me.)
-The risotto ordered by my partner - nice but the steamed veges served with it were cold - seemed pre frozen.
After this I stayed safe and had a cheese board - nice cheese and grapes -
Coffee was great as was the Sauna... Would visit again but probably pay a little more and eat at the Chateau. A pity as the view from this restuarant was amazing - and if the weather had been better I would have loved eating on the deck.

Room Tip: The desk told me that if they were not busy 'budget rooms were upgraded to the supreme - these...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank suep61

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed at Skotel for 2 nights during my visit to the Tongariro national park. I booked a backpacker room for a single person and although the room had 3 beds, I had the room to myself. The hotel has a great view of Mt. Ngaurhoe and the wooden floor and walls of the hotel makes lot of groaning and squeaking sounds, lending it a kind of quaint charm. The food was reasonably good and staff helpful. They had a well appointed kitchen, unfortunately it only had cooking range, microwave and utensils but no supplies whatsoever. At least the supplies for tea and coffee will be really welcome. The bathrooms although shared were clean and so was the room. Overall a good experience.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with family, it makes a lot of sense to book backpackers accomodation.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Geeta S
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Good bunker beds, but the third bed in the backpacker room was terrible. Very soft mattress. Acoustic between bedrooms are quite 'good' you can quite a lot of noises from neighbor rooms.

Kitchen is ok, basic but has all it is needed. Living room was looking quite tired with video tapes.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed here for one night and thought our room well appointed,maybe a bit small, but with a beautiful view across to Mt Ngauruhoe (Mount Doom in the Lord of the Rings films). Excellent laundry facilities which were greatly appreciated as we had been travelling for some time. All the staff were very friendly and the food was good. Views from the restaurant of the sunset were fantastic. Not sure what the othe reviewers mean. perhaps we were just lucky.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2013

First of all, let me please advise anyone who is visiting Tongariro, do spend some extra cash and stay at the Chateau or any other accommodation, rather than this one. I think I have never seen such a bad service in such a short period of time. I arrived one night at 8. 30 and checked in. I was told that the kitchen would only close at 9 and therefore I was there at 8.45. Surprisingly one of the staff members informed me that I could only have a pizza (pre cooked by the way) and since I was hungry I decided to order and so I sat down. He brought the pizza in a box and I asked if I could have a cutlery. This was followed by an upset and boring look from the waiter. He did not even ask what I wanted to drink?!? The next day, while trying to pay, the receptionist informed me that I had to pay three extra items which I had not eaten, probably as I a kind of vengeance from the waiter's behalf. The receptionist was then upset when I informed that it hadnt been me and started arguing. Overall, really bad rooms fro wha you pay, awful bathrooms and the worst staff ever!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hans B
Reviewed March 17, 2013

First and foremost: they should consider putting the "backpakers" sign on every room that is in this standard. Secondly, divide it into sections separately reviewed in TripAdvisor. This would prevent confusion. I will tell you about my experience in the "cheap" area. For a hotel - terrible, for hostel - average.
You are being informed on the website that this is a budget room. Nevertheless, nothing prepares you for the shock of seeing someone’s menstrual blood on the toilet. Apparently they are not cleaned between customers.
Nice things about this place – restaurant with good food and very nice terrace with great volcano view. There is also guest lounge where you can prepare breakfast yourself.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Incredibly cheap deal online - but the room (301) was right by entrance/reception and walls are thin so it was very noisy..BUT...reception staffer was helpful and spent time finding an alternative room (305) which was excellent for me: a spacious twin single room with sliding door to a small deck (2 chairs and small table) overlooking the extraordinary landscape of the central plateau. Active volcano over to the right, downlands falling away to distant ranges of hills in front and the iconic 'Bayview Chateau Tongariro' (a stately old hotel) amongst the mountain beech trees to the left. Magical.
Room was well equipped: bed was very comfortable, bathroom was fine, pillows were all the same type (a bit firm and high for me), tea and coffee making facilities, a good sized fridge.
Pleasant cleaning staff.
Only quibble is the very thin walls - I could hear my neighbours clearly. In the summer many visitors to the area are hiking/tramping so they get up early but don't party late. In winter (skiing just up the road at Whakapapa skifield) it might be a bit rowdier in the evenings.
There is no food shop at Whakapapa village: bring your food with you OR eat at either the Skotel restaurant (which I didn't try), the Tussock Bar and Restaurant (standard pub fare), the Chateau Tongariro restaurant (we had a conference deal, the food we were served was a bit old-fashioned) or the Pihanga cafe (cafe-restaurant style meals, open fairly late).

Room Tip: Ask for a view overlooking the plateau and away from the reception area.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whakapapa
Chateau Tongariro Hotel
The Park Hotel Ruapehu
The Park Hotel Ruapehu
#5 of 9 in National Park Village
Ruapehu Mountain Motel & Lodge

Been to Skotel Alpine Resort? Share your experiences!