We decided to see if there was a room available at the Chateau Tongariro seeing how it was mid week and currently the off-season. We were lucky to be offered three different rooms for viewing. We decided on a top floor room in the newer wing with a view of the volcanoes through the trees and it was worth the slight extra cost. The original wing smelled a bit musty but the rooms are slated for renovations later this year.
We took the 'Celebration' package.....one night's accommodation, a three course dinner and buffet breakfast for two. To our delight, this also included a full bottle of champagne, cookies and chocolate fudge. Our room was very comfortable and the supper was a pleasant surprise. Starters (smoked duck breast, pork salad), entree (lamb rack, salmon...both cooked perfectly!) and dessert (citrus pie, chocolate torte). The only downside was the cost of wine....$50 was the cheapest!! so we passed on that item. We did notice that our meal came quite quickly as opposed to the ones ordered off the menu by other guests. Perhaps it pays to take the package. Breakfast had wide assortment of cold and hot items.
Overall, we had a delightful stay, the staff was most accommodating and we lucked in with the weather.....sunny and clear days to appreciated the views of the volcanoes!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Everything we do at the Chateau Tongariro Hotel we believe in providing you with a timeless elegance. We believe that preserving tradition and history is most important and as the hotel is located within a dual World Heritage National Park, conservation and culture are also at the forefront of your experience. Tongariro National Park provides a stunning natural playground bursting with diverse landscapes for visitors to the Chateau Tongariro to discover. Chateau Tongariro provides accommodation, restaurants, bars and conference facilities and is an all-seasons, utterly timeless experience not to be missed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Chateau Tongariro Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro Hotel Tongariro National Park
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro National Park