This is my second stay at the Chateau, the first time in a standard room that I was perfectly happy with at the time. However this time I was treated to a spa room as a birthday treat, and what a treat it was. The room was beautiful & the whole ambiance at the Chateau is that of a bye- gone era that compels you to relax, whether it is in your room or in the many relaxing comfortable nooks & crannies of the main hotel.
The view of the mountains from the main lounge never ceases to amaze me. The pianist gently singing & tinkling away in the background late in the afternoon was so professional and appropriate I thought it was a CD playing.
The staff in general were polite, happy and attentive.
We had a three course dinner included in our package that truly could not be faulted, it was New Zealand cuisine at its finest (and I am not easily impressed). No stingy portions or restricted menu each course was delicious and I would have been more than happy to pay for it had it not been included in our package.
The usual menu prices & charges for drinks are in my opinion very reasonable. You are somewhat captive in this remote location & the hotel could well have taken advantage of this & hiked their food & beverage prices considerably, but they haven’t.
I really don’t agree with the pervious review that suggests a refurbishment is due, she is indeed a grand old lady with a little flaking plaster just here & there that only adds to her charm.
Following a really hectic week I reluctantly left this sanctuary a much more relaxed and contented person.
I will definitely return to sit in front of those gorgeous log fires in a winged back chair, with my favourite book when the snow starts to fall.
Thank you to you all for what will be a memorable birthday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Everything we do at the Chateau Tongariro Hotel we believe in providing you with a timeless elegance. We believe that preserving tradition and history is most important and as the hotel is located within a dual World Heritage National Park, conservation and culture are also at the forefront of your experience. Tongariro National Park provides a stunning natural playground bursting with diverse landscapes for visitors to the Chateau Tongariro to discover. Chateau Tongariro provides accommodation, restaurants, bars and conference facilities and is an all-seasons, utterly timeless experience not to be missed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Chateau Tongariro Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro Hotel Tongariro National Park
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro National Park