We got a very last minute room for our one-night stay (booked the same morning on a whim) at a reasonable rate for such a grand hotel and were happy with our old-fashioned but clean and comfortable bedroom. We decided to splash out and have dinner in the Ruapehu restaurant, which was like going back in time - the atmosphere was rather formal and the diners hardly dared to speak above a whisper. The food was beautifully presented but not particularly good and very overpriced. We were surprised, when we both ordered rack of lamb, that the waiter didn't ask us how we wanted it cooked, and presumed it would be "medium" or even "medium rare", but it actually turned out to be so rare that even my husband, who normally likes quite rare meat, couldn't finish his. It was virtually raw in the middle.
However, one thing which can't be faulted were the views from both the lounge area and dining room, which were very memorable despite the cloudy weather.
Unfortunately we didn't get a good night's sleep, despite the comfortable bed, because there seemed to be a loud party going on in some nearby accommodation, and we were hoping someone from the hotel would ask the revellers to turn the noise down, but this didn't happen so we had a very disturbed night. Not what we were expecting in remote Tongariro National Park!
Because of our disappointing dinner we decided not to have breakfast at the Chateau but stopped for coffee and croissants at Ohakune, not far away by car.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Everything we do at the Chateau Tongariro Hotel we believe in providing you with a timeless elegance. We believe that preserving tradition and history is most important and as the hotel is located within a dual World Heritage National Park, conservation and culture are also at the forefront of your experience. Tongariro National Park provides a stunning natural playground bursting with diverse landscapes for visitors to the Chateau Tongariro to discover. Chateau Tongariro provides accommodation, restaurants, bars and conference facilities and is an all-seasons, utterly timeless experience not to be missed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Chateau Tongariro Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro Hotel Tongariro National Park
- Bayview Chateau Tongariro National Park