“Excellent place in a rural area”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Warkworth
Warkworth Country Retreat
Ranked #5 of 20 Warkworth B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is an excellent Bed & Breakfast, very inviting and offering a lot of information about the area and places to visit. And exiting things to do together with Brian. We went with him for fishing our own fish and that was really excellent prepared and served the day after.
An exiting experience, fishing on the Great Ocean!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Maria433, Owner at Warkworth Country Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Thankyou so much for enjoying your stay at my place.
It was a pleasure seeing you catch your first fish ever in the beautiful bountiful waters of Kawau bay. Best wishes for future holidays wherever they may take you.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

This is a delightful B and B in a beautiful setting! The room and lounge are new and fresh and spotlessly clean and the view across the paddocks is to die for! Situated a short 5min drive to the town centre this B and B is in a class of its own. Great value for money and the breakfasts and cheese platter were delicious.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie D
Maria433, Owner at Warkworth Country Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Thankyou so much for your review and so glad you enjoyed my place so much that you doubled your stay. I look forward to maybe seeing you again sometime.

Brian

Reviewed December 16, 2013

I took my wife away for a weekend only to discover the Warkworth Country Retreat was so much more than we expected, the owner was so helpful and it was a joy to stay there, nothing was a problem, even to the point of making sure we had the Nespresso capsules flavours that we liked. it was a change from the city living that we are used to so peaceful and relaxing my wife and I often go away for weekends and this one of the best we stayed in the Self Contained Accommodation which was very clean and did not disappoint. I highly recommend that if you need a non-stressed week end away then the Warkworth Country retreat Bed and Breakfast as one of the best we have stayed in.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We chose the barn as website mentions privacy, relaxing and kitchen. The kitchen is fine. The furnishings downstairs simple but fresh.

However, found it neither private nor relaxing. Location is great, hosts pleasant but the only view from the barn is the main house and gravel driveaway. Despite being in the countryside it feels claustrophobic to have such a large house looming over you from inside or sitting outside the barn. Since the windows also face the house front door it also doesn't feel private inside. Not helped by the fact the half of the barn is the main garage with large noisy roller doors.

I have attached three photos which give a less flattering but far more realistic view than the hosts website. I would recommend the property in one of the suite rooms, provided a full kitchen is not needed but would not recommend the barn.

Room Tip: Stick to the suites or look at the alternatives more closely (eg matakana)
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Maria433, Owner at Warkworth Country Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

I have been sick for two days after reading this the very first review that has not given us a 100% satisfaction rating. Firstly the reviewer is correct that this apartment is part of our main farm barn and does have several metal roller doors which can be noisy when being opened (but they are standard domestic size doors) but I do have a policy of not using these when there are guests in the accommodation and so distressed that I must have mistakenly broke my own rules. I shall endeavour to be more careful in future. However I am disappointed in the reviewers comments with regards to value and privacy. This unit is at the rear of our property and so the end of the 500 m driveway and is quiet and private. The part of the main Lodge building that "overlooks" the unit is the 6m high atrium lobby and since nobody is that tall does not impact on the privacy. The unit is provided with curtains and blinds. The unit is primarially intended for longer stays of 4-5 days and after the first day we only charge $100 per night or $500 per night for 5 days primarially for people undertaking training at the nearby institute or short courses at the college. The unit has a full kitchen, lounge separate bathroom, separate upstairs bedroom, free wifi etc and is very new. Guests have full access to the public areas of the main Lodge including the magnificent views from the front. Even the local backpackers charges $60 per night for two people with totally shared facilities in a suburban street adjacent the main highway north. Units of this standard at Matakana cost $200-$300 per night. I have several had multiple bookings for this unit including a family returning from England for their second five day stay in January. I strive to deliver an excellent product at a very low price. Guests wanting the full WCR Lodge experience pay almost twice the price and had I known the reviewer was less than 100% satisfied I would have willingly transferred them to the main Lodge at my expense as clearly their budget did not match their expectations

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Warkworth Country Retreat is a first class Bed and Breakfast that outshines the competition with its stunning architectural design and a most welcoming host. Directions are not needed to find the establishment on Woodcocks Road, as the elegant tree-lined driveway that weaves its way up the hill is nothing short of eye-catching from the road. Clean, tidy and comfortable, I would highly recommend the Country Retreat to anyone and everyone looking for a quiet weekend away from the hustle and bustle of the Big City.

It is only when one looks out across the rolling green hills that omnipresently surround the holding, that the purest sense of peace may be found within oneself.

I have stayed in my fair share of Bed and Breakfast accommodation both here and in the UK, and the Warkworth Country Retreat is by far the most welcoming I have ever experienced.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Maria433, Owner at Warkworth Country Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thank you for your kind words. I always want you to have a quiet and relaxing experience in the wonderful location we have and still have the luxury of a modern facility. Please come again sometime.

Brian

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic place to stay, close enough to everything you need, tucked far enough away from the world but still a short drive to warkworth and the matakana region. This is THE place to stay if you are planning on a trip to the area... Lovely baked ginger crunch in the kitchen was a nice bonus.. Only regret is that we couldn't stay for longer, even though the Missus tried to keep the keys :)

• Stayed: July 2013
Maria433, Owner at Warkworth Country Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thanks for choosing to stay with us. I'm glad you enjoyed the baking. I love to cook so maybe next time you will be able to try the cooked breakfast.
Blessings
Maria and Brian

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is an absolutely wonderful place to stay. It is a beautifully designed facility in a lovely location run by very welcoming people. The facility offers privacy that isn't often found in a B&B. The B&B hostess, Maria, provided a wonderful breakfast and invaluable information on the best local and North Island locations to visit.

We will definitely plan to spend more time at this B&B on our next trip to New Zealand.

Room Tip: All rooms are wonderful but the apartment separate from the house adds even more privacy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Maria433, Owner at Warkworth Country Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

It was a pleasure having you stay with us. The outstanding weather over the summer season has been a real bonus. We hope you will visit our beautiful country again one day and would love you come and stay with us again. Blessings from Maria and Brian.