“Top Reds!”
Review of Heron's Flight

Heron's Flight
Ranked #11 of 45 Restaurants in Warkworth
Cuisines: International
Description: Heron's Flight is a working vineyard and winery, specializing in Italian grape varieties. Our cellar door is open daily. Please note we are not a restaurant.
“Top Reds!”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Herons Flight is a family built business & you can taste the love that goes into their superb wines. With only a small $5 tasting fee Herons Flight is a must visit whilst in the Matakana area

Visited April 2014
3 Thank amy f

“Terrible Customer Service”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I agree with the previous reviewer. The customer service for this cellar door is appalling. They do not know how to treat potential customers that's for sure. Their website says that wine tasting is free but when I emailed them to confirm this they said, and I quote "Because it is misleading on the website I was going to forego it (the payment), but that wouldn't be a wise commercial decision." I asked them if perhaps they should remove that from their website to avoid this confusion and the response was "If you only wanted to come because it was free and not because you are interested in wine, you shouldn't bother at all."
My collegues and I are very interested in wine tasting, and in fact we would have probably brought some wine at the cellar door if it was any good. However, with this type of treatment, I will never visit Heron's Flight, especially with their DELIBERATE tactic of luring people in, under the false pretences of a free tasting and then charging people when they arrive.
I have nothing against paying for a tasting and in fact this is fair play, but what I do have something against is dishonesty and rudeness.

• Visited February 2014
Auckland, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awful. Much better places to go.”
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

the owner of this vineyard seems to think a cellar door process is more about showing off about himself and how much he knows about obscure wine history than introducing people to his wines.

We went on a Thursday so two of the wines werent being offered - so we tried 3 wines plus 2 grape juices. The owner missed sales by not having the others available to taste and the volume of people going through (12 while we were there for 45 minutes) times the tasting charge would clearly cover the cost of opening at least one of the 2 signature wines of this vineyard.

The arrogance of the owner was on display when talking about his next "unplugged" wine which they considered releasing as one of their signature lines, but even though the "general public wouldnt know the difference, we thought it should be an unplugged". Im not sure he picked up that he just insulted a whole room of people by saying that. We are the genetal public and this sort of arrogance puts us off trying or buying herons flight ever again.

In summary, the wines we tasted were ok, but with such a large amount of choice around Matakana, avoid this place.

If you want the personal, friendly cellar door experience, head for Hyperion, if you want the professional, knowledgable approach, head to OBV or Brick Bay.

there are soo many places that I would spend my money before suffering through another visit to this place.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Dylan S
Auckland
“A real taste of a NZ vineyard -”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Wonderful hosts - lots of information about this 100% Italian grapes vineyard - the only one in NZ - very authentic - rustic no frills but so gorgeous and quaint - a great place to buy some wine and have a picnic in the vines.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank littlemizfab
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Excellent Grape Juice”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Bought Grape Juice direct from the winery.
Excellent flavour especially their new lighter variety with a touch of bubbles.

Visited November 2013