“Best Value, Best Hosts, Marvelous B&B Experience!”
Review of Sunlover Retreat

Sunlover Retreat
Ranked #1 of 8 Tairua B&B and Inns
Tairua, New Zealand
“Best Value, Best Hosts, Marvelous B&B Experience!”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

This place has got it all! A stylish new home of bold, contemporary build complete with rustic touches. Modern amenities & style with an elegant retro flair. Activities to suit any mood...enjoying a glass of wine on the couch by the fire or taking in the most breathtaking 220 degree views off both wrap around decks.... Choosing records from a classic vinyl collection to dance to in the lounge and having a fun game of foosball. Hanging out with the coolest, cuddliest, sweetest blond labradoodle named Jak who loves taking you to the beach. Filling up on the most scrumptious homemade breakfast complete with fresh terra-cotta baked scones, juices, jams, eggs, bacon, the whole 9 & 1/2 yards. Never have I met a more gracious couple of hosts as owners Donna & Chris. They truly care about delivering the best stay money can buy and strive to offer a first-rate experience. I loved it so much that I booked my return in person before leaving and will be recommending as the choicest B&B in Tairua to friends and family. Thank You Sun Lover!!! See you soon :)

Room Tip: I chose the Paku Suite with views of Mt. Paku with the beautiful wood and stone shower and comfortab...
Donna B, Owner at Sunlover Retreat, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! I'm glad you like our decorating style and the 'old school' record collection!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Donna and Chris are lovely people and very welcoming to their B&B. Donna is also a fantastic cook. We paid $359 for a 2 night stay in off season and that included dinner on 1 night and breakfast, as well as a ‘gift pack on arrival’. Basically it was another $100 for the dinner and gift pack.

However, we did have a few issues, of which were brought to the attention of Donna prior to this review being posted:
- No Gift basket! We reminded her prior to arrival as she admittedly forgot that we had paid the extra $100. But still no gift pack and not a word said about it. We even hinted it to Chris about who usually puts together the gift packs but to no avail. When I brought this to Donna’s attention, I was told that the wine with dinner was the gift and I drank more than was intended! To clarify, 3 bottles of low end Sav were drunk between us 2 couples, and all were offered with dinner/post dinner convo.
- It’s a B&B, not a ‘Retreat’. On the grabone ad, it had no reference to a B&B. So we were surprised to be staying in someone else’s house with another couple rather than a more private retreat.
- Donna was not around for the last half of the weekend and handed the B&B responsibilities to Chris. While he is a top bloke, the cooking of the breakfast was a big step down from when Donna did it. It may sound pedantic but when it is marketed as a Luxury retreat I would have expected a higher standard.

If you are looking for a nice B&B, this is a great place…but I do question the value for money with what we paid, let alone the claimed full price @ $300+ per night!

2 Thank Todd G
Donna B, Owner at Sunlover Retreat, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Firstly Todd, I would like to say thank you for taking the time to write your review. It's not easy receiving our first 'average' review however it will help with improving the future quality of guests stay.

In response to your points:
The gift basket is the bottle of wines you had. We do not have a liquor license and as such cannot sell liquor. With the GrabOne 50% off deals, we need to list the wine as a 'gift'. I'm sorry you were unhappy with the quality of the gift however I didn't know at the time, to be able to rectify it. I didn't forget about it at all. Can I just say ... 'hinting' at Chris certainly doesn't help the situation!

Yes, you are correct, the GrabOne ad didn't say B&B however our website makes it very clear. I am sure you looked at this before you made your purchase. I will however ensure any future deals stipulate that this is indeed a B&B.

I had to leave unexpectedly on Saturday night due to an incredibly sick daughter. I did let you know and with such short notice, my husband Chris had to step in. We tried to ensure the experience was still up to par. Its a shame that you didn't feel that it was.

And last but not least .... the value. 2 nights accommodation, 2 course dinner for two with wine, 4 fully cooked breakfasts as well as accommodating your large dog, for $359 .. I will let the people reading this management comment decide.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Such is the quality of the experience on offer, it's almost impossible to believe Sunlover Retreat has been open for such a short period of time. The service, the welcome and the room were absolutely first rate and I had a wonderful stay. Donna was exceptionally accommodating and seems to understand exactly what folk are looking for when passing through Tairau.

It's a B&B so it seems pertinent to focus on each B. First, the bed, which was so comfy it was tricky to get out of, and also lay before a near-perfect view (don't make the mistake of arriving after dark - it's a sight to behold!). If waking up to the sight before me wasn't enough, the other B, - brekkie - was inventive, all homemade and, most importantly, absolutely delicious.

I was only sorry that I had time to stay just one night. Recommendations don't come much heartier than this one.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Donna B, Owner at Sunlover Retreat, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Thank you Will for such a wonderful review. I hope the rest of your 3 day trip in the Coromandel went fantastically. We hope to meet your parents on their trip to NZ one day!
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We have just had a wonderful 2 night stay at Sunlovers Retreat. We found Donna to be a warm, welcoming and friendly host who made us feel at home from the moment we walked through the door. The accommodation is exceptional and the views from the decks are stunning. Donna is an excellent cook and we thoroughly enjoyed the breakfasts and dinner. All in all, a great experience. Thank you again Donna and Chris.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Donna B, Owner at Sunlover Retreat, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Thank you Rick for taking the time to write a lovely review. We hope to see you again one day!
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed June 15, 2014

My wife & I had a great 2 day break with Chris & Donna. Even though it was full on winter the welcome was as warm as any summer sun. We will definitely be back later in the year, can't wait to sit on that deck enjoying the marvellous view with a full coromandel sun beaming down.

Donna B, Owner at Sunlover Retreat, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
And ... we are looking forward to welcoming you back! Thanks for taking the time to write your review.
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Sunlovers Retreat has got to be one of the best. Everything far exceeded our expectations. The rooms are superb, Donna is a gourmet cook and presents fantastic breakfasts - we had to ask her to make them smaller. We would definitley visit again, and look forward to doing so.

A word of warning - ask Donna for information about the local restaurants. Some of their advertised opening times aren't necessarily true!

Room Tip: Three rooms are availablr. They're all excellent
Donna B, Owner at Sunlover Retreat, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Thank you Ian. AND I look forward to seeing you back here one day. Thanks for taking the time to write a review.
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Had a wonderful stay with my wife and also another couple. Exceeded our expectations on all fronts. Perfect. Will stay again when back in Tairua. Very sunny and warm perspective even in winter as it was when we stayed.

Donna B, Owner at Sunlover Retreat, responded to this review, June 8, 2014
Great to have you and your family here with us! Thanks for the great review and we hope to see you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tairua
Grand Mercure Puka Park Resort
#3 of 18 in Whitianga
Harbour View Lodge
Harbour View Lodge
#5 of 8 in Tairua

Been to Sunlover Retreat? Share your experiences!