Donna and Chris are lovely people and very welcoming to their B&B. Donna is also a fantastic cook. We paid $359 for a 2 night stay in off season and that included dinner on 1 night and breakfast, as well as a ‘gift pack on arrival’. Basically it was another $100 for the dinner and gift pack.
However, we did have a few issues, of which were brought to the attention of Donna prior to this review being posted:
- No Gift basket! We reminded her prior to arrival as she admittedly forgot that we had paid the extra $100. But still no gift pack and not a word said about it. We even hinted it to Chris about who usually puts together the gift packs but to no avail. When I brought this to Donna’s attention, I was told that the wine with dinner was the gift and I drank more than was intended! To clarify, 3 bottles of low end Sav were drunk between us 2 couples, and all were offered with dinner/post dinner convo.
- It’s a B&B, not a ‘Retreat’. On the grabone ad, it had no reference to a B&B. So we were surprised to be staying in someone else’s house with another couple rather than a more private retreat.
- Donna was not around for the last half of the weekend and handed the B&B responsibilities to Chris. While he is a top bloke, the cooking of the breakfast was a big step down from when Donna did it. It may sound pedantic but when it is marketed as a Luxury retreat I would have expected a higher standard.
If you are looking for a nice B&B, this is a great place…but I do question the value for money with what we paid, let alone the claimed full price @ $300+ per night!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Sunlover Retreat. A boutique bed & breakfast, nestled on a hill in the seaside town of Tairua, Coromandel NZ. Sunlover Retreat soaks up the sun and views from sunrise to sunset.There are three accommodation rooms, each with its own ensuite. The Estuary Suite has a bath luxuriously placed to look over the bush, Coromandel Ranges and Tairua estuary beyond. Every room has a large private deck and robes are supplied. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Agoda, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sunlover Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunlover Retreat Tairua, South Pacific - New Zealand