“A Garden of Plenty”

Dining options: Breakfast
Sydney, Australia
“A Garden of Plenty”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Just twenty minutes outside of Whitianga is a lovely café surrounded by gardens, nestled into the lush Coromandel hills. My wife and I enjoyed lunch in the warmth of a wood fire. My lamb pie was superb and my wife devoured a luscious egg and bacon pie. The coffee was excellent and unfortunately my wife reminded me of my diet as I lingered over the display case and its amazing selection of homemade pies, cakes and tarts. If you are heading into Whitianga stop here rather than travelling on as there is nothing in Whitianga that can come close to this fabulous spot. If gifts are your thing don't expect the typical tourist crap that adorns shelves in coastal areas. Colenso boasts some of the best of seen. They also serve beer and wine and I'm told are planning a garden bar in the near future.

Visited July 2014

New South Wales, Australia
“Excellent”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Everything about this establishment was excellent, except the weather! The coffee was excellent, the bacon and egg pie I had was the best I'd ever eaten (and the biggest portion), the lemon slice was heaven. My husband had the lamb pie which he adored. It would be wonderful to dine outside in the beautiful garden on a sunny day, sipping a glass of wine - which is why we'll be back. Oh, and the gift shop, it makes you realise you need stuff you didn't know you needed!! We're looking forward to our next visit.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Margaret S
Tairua, New Zealand
“Country Cafe”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stop here quite often if we are on our way up to Whitianga. It is set in quite extensive grounds, and you can sit inside or out, depending on the weather. The food is excellent, and some of the cakes are superb. Coffee is good too. Friendly staff who make you feel welcome, they also have a gift shop with some interesting items, both locally made and imported. Worth a visit.

• Visited November 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Still a great cafe”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I have been making a point of stopping here every trip to the Coromandel for 20 years or more and if anything it is better now It is set in a beautiful country garden and offers outstanding food and coffee. The Devonshire tea remains a favourite of mine. The homemade jam for sale is outstandingly good and there's a nice selection of gifts.

The service is friendly, prompt usually, though they can get pretty busy but there is plenty to look at while waiting.

• Visited March 2014
Auckland, New Zealand
“A Surprise in the Country”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We made an unexpected stop at Colenso Café and what a surprise. The coffee was excellent, but the apricot passion fruit tart was even better! This is a must when you stop here, and don't say no to the cream! It is special. We were a group and sat outside amongst the shady trees on a sunny Sunday morning. The weather was perfect, the coffee was perfect, and the service was perfect,( despite the café being rather busy)........don't forget the apricot tart, that is absolute perfection! We will visit again!

• Visited March 2014