“Very interesting and respectful presentation”

Nez Perce National Historical Park
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Spalding
More attraction details
Owner description: This park has 38 separate sites spanning four states, all dedicated to preserving the history and culture of the Nez Perce Indian Nation. The park includes the Nez Perce National Historic Trail, a portion of the Lewis and Clark Trail and the White Bird Battlefield.
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This was my second visit to this Park. Again, I was struck by the respect with which the National Park Service has treated the Nez Perce and their story. We weren't able to make a complete visit to the park and cemetery areas, as a lightning storm moved through that day -- dumping bucketloads of golf-ball-sized hail on the property. the granddaughters had never seen hail before, so they found that very exciting. Even better, the hail did not start until AFTER the storm had passed over the parking lot -- all cars were spared dings and dents. If you go with children, be sure to ask about the "Junior Ranger" activities. It will enhance their visit as well as yours. Plan to spend at least 2 hours if you're working on Junior Ranger badges.

1  Thank C L

Reviewed August 11, 2012

If your traveling in this area, this is a must see if you are a history buff. Beautiful location next to the river. Good lunch stop too. Really nice visitor center with good displays and videos of the Nez Perce plight at the hands of the US Army.There are several visitor centers at different locations in the Nez Perce Historical Park, this is the largest. Nice bookstore inside.
Highly recomended!

Reviewed June 16, 2012

The Nez Perce and Shoshone tribe share the credit for keeping the Lewis and Clark expedition alive while they crossed the Rockies. The visitor center at Spalding explains their story well. The center overall is better than the video which is rather "slow", so don't judge it by that. The staff are quite pleasant and worked with our Junior Rangers to make this a good experience for them

Reviewed May 16, 2012

I have driven by the Nez Perce National Historic Park numerous times on my drive to/from Boise, ID from my home in Spokane, WA. It was only yesterday that I decided to take the time to stop and see what the Park had to offer. What a pleasant surprise! The short time that I had intended to stay ended up being a couple of hours. The resident Park Ranger greeted us and gave us a brief explanation of what we could expect during our visit. Before walking through the museum depicting actual Nez Perce Native American artifacts, we watched the movie showing the Nez Perce history from the time of Lewis & Clark's visit in the 1800's. Afterwards, we took a leisurely walk down the hill to the Spalding Church and Mercantile Store. The only regrets that I have are that I didn't stop here on any of my previous trips past this historical park. It's interesting to note that this is the Park's Headquarters (located in Lapwai, ID) to the 38 sites located in Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington.

4  Thank gs8055
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We had a large wedding with over 150 people in attendance and the park was perfect. It was the height of summer and it was still cool under all the trees. We bought a power supply from Sears to run the sound system and the park people were a huge help with moving tables and reserving them ahead of time. It was an amazing day. The tables were free the site was free, bathrooms accessible and BEAUTIFUL scenary for photos... train tracks, bridges, little church, rockery, river, beach... anything you want to stand in front of... beautiful.

2  Thank kerihampton