“Suprisingly fantastic”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Having eaten out on a couple of previous trips through Kaitaia, we came to Beachcomber on the recommendation of Alastair at Waters Edge B&B without great expectations. We had a fantastically friendly experience! And kudos to the chef on great food. We had the Salmon, and Seafood platter etc great local wine, and enjoyed the fresh salad bar. Speaking of fresh ... The fish was the freshest we have had anywhere. Price was very reasonable for the quality and service. Also loved the decor. Thanks Beachcomber

There are newer reviews for Beachcomber Restaurant

Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

A good old school salad bar. Nice steaks and pretty waitress and you are off to a good start.
Reasonable prices and a reasonable selection.. no complaints here. See you in a month..

Reviewed June 1, 2014

We ate here every night during our week in Kaitaia.
The servings were generous and everything we had was delicious. Loved the salad bar options. The food, service and ambiance all consistently good. They were particularly helpful advising and catering for one of our party who has severe allergies.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

We went as four adults and a two year old boy. The food was perfect food us. Had an old school salad bar that was very well stocked. Prices were great, but the service was absolutely the best. On holiday from down south this place exceeded our expectations. We will absolutely go there again if passing through! Just brilliant!!

Reviewed May 16, 2014

It's dinner time, raining and we're hungry, armed with a six year old Lonely Planet guide book we approached Kaitaia. Beachcombers was the recomended choice in 2008, the note about salad bar was a little off putting.
We drive up the main street thinking newer options might have sprung up, sadly, uninspiring takeaways are the only alternative at this time of the night.
Beachcombers flashing sign now beckons attractively.
Greeted very pleasantly at the bar by the american owner, I check out the salad bar, these set ups can be tired and past there used by date. Lucky for us this is not the case and we decide to take a seat in the bar rather than the empty dining room.
A charming Italian girl settles us in with menus and water. We order a bottle of Marsden Point Chardonnay and decide on the eye fillet with garlic butter with chips for me and the fish of the day with a baked potato for my husband. The bar is busy with regulars and has a cosy feel. The wines delicious and an entree of garlic bread arrives and is eaten quickly.
Due to our hunger we decide to have our salad before our mains arrive. The range of vegetables is good. Beetroot, carrot, mesclum, corn, pulses and cucumber go on my plate. A range of condiments are on the side and I plump for a loose aioli style dressing. The creamy sauce is like magic, I'd like the recipe. It enhances everything on my plate.
Mains arrive in good time, I'm impressed again as my medium rare steak is cooked perfectly and well rested. The chips also good. My husbands fish is also well presented and again perfectly cooked. The portions are large and with a further drive ahead of us we forgo dessert.
We pay the owner who gives us directions for the shortest but scariest route to where we are staying and all the staff bid us farewell.
This restaurant is a little gem, well trained staff, the chef knows how to cook, the owner obviously cares for her business and runs a tight ship. I totally recommend this place, if ever in Kaitaia again I would happily return.

1  Thank clarebelleuk