“Beachcombers is a gem!”

Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 16, 2014

It's dinner time, raining and we're hungry, armed with a six year old Lonely Planet guide book we approached Kaitaia. Beachcombers was the recomended choice in 2008, the note about salad bar was a little off putting.
We drive up the main street thinking newer options might have sprung up, sadly, uninspiring takeaways are the only alternative at this time of the night.
Beachcombers flashing sign now beckons attractively.
Greeted very pleasantly at the bar by the american owner, I check out the salad bar, these set ups can be tired and past there used by date. Lucky for us this is not the case and we decide to take a seat in the bar rather than the empty dining room.
A charming Italian girl settles us in with menus and water. We order a bottle of Marsden Point Chardonnay and decide on the eye fillet with garlic butter with chips for me and the fish of the day with a baked potato for my husband. The bar is busy with regulars and has a cosy feel. The wines delicious and an entree of garlic bread arrives and is eaten quickly.
Due to our hunger we decide to have our salad before our mains arrive. The range of vegetables is good. Beetroot, carrot, mesclum, corn, pulses and cucumber go on my plate. A range of condiments are on the side and I plump for a loose aioli style dressing. The creamy sauce is like magic, I'd like the recipe. It enhances everything on my plate.
Mains arrive in good time, I'm impressed again as my medium rare steak is cooked perfectly and well rested. The chips also good. My husbands fish is also well presented and again perfectly cooked. The portions are large and with a further drive ahead of us we forgo dessert.
We pay the owner who gives us directions for the shortest but scariest route to where we are staying and all the staff bid us farewell.
This restaurant is a little gem, well trained staff, the chef knows how to cook, the owner obviously cares for her business and runs a tight ship. I totally recommend this place, if ever in Kaitaia again I would happily return.

1  Thank clarebelleuk
There are newer reviews for Beachcomber Restaurant

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Lovely hand screened walls, an entire dining room lined with tapas on the ceiling, local art pieces...enough to occupy your mind for years to come! Good music while dining. Great food and a delicious and generous salad bar, all fresh. Good service, American owners. Classy and comfortable! Highly recommend.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

We thought it the best place to eat in Kaitaia. Pleasant surroundings, great wait staff and excellent food beautifully cooked and well presented. We particularly appreciated the waitress giving us her views on the local wines, which saved us buying something we would not have liked. The scallops, prawn/avocado salad, pork chop and lamb rack were all great, the latter two cooked just as they should be and not a moment longer. Will go back the next time in town.

Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Decided to come here after seeing the reviews on trip advisor. Great place and loved the salad bar! What a good idea. Kept us busy while we were waiting for our mains. Little bit pricey but friendly staff and great service.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We were sent to this restaurant by Alistair our host at the Water's Edge B & B. It was one of the best meals we had in the South Island. The food was delicious and our servers were attentive and very hospitable. The ambience in the restaurant was lovely. A great experience!