“Magic”

Cathedral Cove Walk
Ranked #4 of 9 things to do in Hahei
Reviewed August 12, 2015

Wow, magic!!! I couldn't wipe the smile from my face all day. We had a photoshoot on the Cove and can completely understand why Narnia was filmed there. It is heaven and unworldly, and you can't help but feel large and small all at the same time. Watch the water move in and out of the cave but be quick if your jumping from cave to sand...you just might get wet. Great walk there, take some refreshments and hang out for awhile, you won't be disappointed.

2  Thank LXO
Write a ReviewReviews (2,021)
All reviews
in 23 reviews
"stunning views"
in 35 reviews

Reviewed August 12, 2015

My boyfriend and I were in the Coromandel for the weekend, staying in Hahei, so we decided to take a walk down by Cathedral Cove. You have to drive up to the top of Grange Rd from Hahei and park there. There were heaps of parks available but I can imagine it getting crowded in the summer time. There are bathrooms at the top so it's a good idea to use them before you start your walk. Also there's a gorgeous look out point at the top!

You start by walking down a sloped boardwalk and signposts make the trail very easy to follow. Apart from the trail to Cathedral Cove there's also small trails leading to Stingray Bay and Gemstone Bay. We went to Cathedral Cove and Stingray Bay. It was about a 2 hour trip in total which included heaps of time for photos, sitting down to relax for a bit and such. Unfortunately we went at high tide so we weren't able to walk under the Cove cliff to the beach so I can recommend doing a quick check to see when low tide is.

It's a really lovely short hike and it was actually a highlight of our weekend!
Definitely pack a bottle of water because it can get pretty hot walking back to the car (it's quite steep in parts of the walk).

There are some long-drop toilets down the bottom of the walk by Cathedral Cove (not by the other Bays) but they were surprisingly not smelly and had freshly stocked toilet paper. Overall I was very impressed with the cleanliness.

2  Thank jktweed
Reviewed August 6, 2015

We really amazed with the beautiful and very special scenery. Worth to walk around 30-40 minutes. We came almost at 3.30 and in winter. So suggest come earlier and in summer. Walking together with my husband and all 3 kids make us happy so it just feel like 15 minutes walk

Reviewed August 2, 2015

Such a wonderful and beautiful place. It might be difficult for delicate pregnant ladies due to the long and winding walk, or the sometimes rough seas (using the water taxi). Otherwise, place looks great!