“Wonderful experience and hospitality”

Amber Lodge Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I recently needed to stay 3 nights at Mt Tamborine for work and on my own. Ken and Margaret at Amber Lodge provided the perfect experience and place to stay. It was truly a home away from home. The location was great because it's just around the corner from Gallery Walk and the room was clean, warm, inviting and beautifully decorated, it had everything I needed and the bed was super comfortable. I really appreciated the little kitchenette nook in the room as well. The fact that a cooked breakfast was included in the accommodation package set them apart from the many other places I could choose from and the breakfasts were amazing - bacon and eggs like I've never had before and their special crepes were spectacular!! I wouldn't have wanted to eat breakfast anywhere else. Access to free Wi-Fi was really helpful and appreciated and was just another bonus to Amber Lodge. I'd highly recommend Amber Lodge to anyone looking for a wonderful B&B experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Susan H

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We had a lovely 2 nights stay at this country-styled B&B with hosts Ken and Margaret making us feel right at home. The room was very cozy and gave us a warm welcoming feel the moment we stepped in. The bed was unbelievably comfortable and there were nice touches in the room like fine quality bathrobes and even chocolates and port for a nightcap. Being in a tranquil part of the mountains, it was great to wake up to the sounds of nature (aussie birds!). In the mornings we were greeted with hot scrumptious breakfast which were the best we've had for the whole trip. You can tell that Margaret takes pride in serving up a hearty wholesome brekky right up to the Michelin-starred presentation ;) Friendly Ken was always ready to provide us with useful tips and information on things to see, do and eat. The free wifi was appreciated. Overall, it was an awesome stay and we would recommend the Amber Lodge to anyone looking for a great authentic B&B experience :).

Ad & Nick
Singapore

Room Tip: Choose Room 2 ... for the bed ...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicholas_2013
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My family and I stayed with Ken and Margaret during our recent November vacation. The room was nicely done up and filled with a sense of homeliness. Ken and Margaret welcome us to their abode with such friendliness that put us straight at home. Every morning, we looked forward to the tasty and heartwarming breakfast. We also enjoyed the wonderful and informative conversation with them that enrich our whole traveling experiences. They have been a very great host.

With definitely recommend to my family and friends when they are heading there.

Djaja family from Singapore.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DjajaFamily
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Highly recommended

Good host Kenneth and Margaret provide clean and beautiful room during our 2 night stay,
They provide free DVD, magazine for those who feel bored in the room.
Minute away from the Gallery with lots of food and shops
Free wi-if
Sumptuous different breakfast for day

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank joelzoe
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed at Amber Lodge for 3 nights. The bed and the bedding were top class as were the towels and bathroom gowns. It is only a few steps to the main street if you do not have a car. The Managers were very courteous and helpful. We drove around and looked at many of the other guesthouses available in Mt Tamborine and we can definitely say we are glad we chose Amber Lodge as our only place to stay. The room was provided with many small conveniences that you would not even normally expect. We will stay again at Amber Lodge on our next visit as we could not find anything that would deter us from staying there again. Good that air-conditioning is provided as well, if needed. Thanks to Amber Lodge for a happy short break.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank aussiexplore
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I was all set to book either one of two other B & Bs that were in the top ratings on Mt Tamborine but they were both a little overpriced and I tried finding more. Eventually, I don't know why I missed this, I found Amber Lodge. I guess the photos shown online really did not do justice to the place. This B&B is what I consider as authentic and wonderful. We had the Regency Room which was the best choice as it was bigger and had another daybed (which we didn't use but was nice to have it in there).

ROOM
The room was beautifully and authentically furnished with classic English/Country style decor, complete with small touches of roses be it on the bathroom wall or even with the towels they nicely roll up and place on the bed. There was ample of space for you to place your baggage, a small clothing rack and a small dining table for two for a quick cup of coffee.

The windows were nice and tall with proper curtains and the room was carpeted. There was air-conditioning with heater function that was nice and a ceiling fan. There was a small TV (real small though) which had a DVD player function so you can watch DVD in bed.

BED
The bed is one of the highlights of this room. A really comfortable bed with nice bedding, soft pillows and an over-hanging canopy of sorts that made the room all the more romantic. In fact out of the 4 Gold Coast accommodations I stayed, I felt this one had the best bed. But that is to be expected, considering this IS a BED and BREAKFAST. That's why I consider this, an authentic bed and breakfast. The bed HAS to be comfortable, and it was.

BATHROOM
The bathroom is nothing to shout out about but it was very clean and ample for us both. It is long and narrow with the toilet at one end and the shower at the other. There was even a "sanitation tag" on the toilet to proved it was cleaned and sanitised for our use (that was nice). The shower was good as it came complete with a proper stall and door (not shower curtains!) and the shower was nice after a day out.

The owners took the effort to put together a small kit of essentials comprising of shower gels and such though we used our own. The door was a sliding one, to save space and they also provided a pair of nice comfy bathrobes in the room for your comfort.

EXTRAS
There is a small microwave oven and mini fridge in the room which was a plus. Coffee, tea and hot chocolate sachets were available along with a good electric kettle for you to make your own drinks. There is also complimentary port wine on the dining table with some sweets.

Free parking is available in front of the house at their front yard. There are also stacks of old DVDs you can borrow to watch in your room. You can also enjoy reading a book in front of their nice warm fireplace, in the living area.

LOCATION
The house is located at the corner of the road, very close to the main shopping street - Gallery Walk. You can walk over easily without having to drive.

BREAKFAST
Breakfast was usually included in the room rate, unless they run an offer without breakfast. i personally consider a B & B authentic when they include breakfast with their room rate and provide (not continental) but proper cooked breakfast. This was what I got. We started with some fruits in a cup, nicely done complete with a really pretty doily decorated under the glass on the plate. Margaret really took the effort. Appreciate the nice touches.
The second came the main breakfast. I had my bacon and eggs while my husband had the crepes. We enjoyed our own breakfast which was savoury and nice. My bacons were gorgeous.... I don't know why but somehow Australian bacons taste so good, thick and lean! The scrambled eggs was nicely done as well. The crepes looked very fancy and all was done with effort. We also had our coffee that didn't disappoint and juices.

CONCLUSION
I'd recommend this B&B anytime. The room rate is reasonable at $149 complete with full cooked breakfast, unlike some others that provide continental and require a top-up. This gem is still not discovered by many, considering the number of reviews here. I'd highly recommend you to try out this B & B instead of going to the more commercial ones with a fancy website and professionally taken photos. This B&B may not have a cool website with professionally taken photos but I hope my photos here and do some justice to this 'hidden' gem at Mt Tamborine.

Room Tip: Caught a peek at Chelsea Room which was nice and cosy too so if Regency is already taken, Chelsea is...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank YourWorldTraveller
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed one night at this lovely place. Hosts Margaret & Ken were very friendly & helpful. Room was very homey, comfortable & clean with ensuite attached. Very well located as was within short walking distance to Gallery Walk which is full of lots of little boutique type shops, restaurants & wineries. Breakfast was lovely, could have had a full breaky which looked wonderful when we saw it on the table of the people seated next to us but we opted for a lighter meal. The fruit salad was freshly prepared & was delicious along with cereal, toast & choice of coffee, tea & juice. All in all we would definitely recommend this B & B

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Avocado Sunset Bed and Breakfast
Avocado Sunset Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 9 in North Tamborine
Curtis Falls Mountain Spa Retreat
Curtis Falls Mountain Spa Retrea...
#7 of 9 in North Tamborine
#2 of 9 in North Tamborine
Mountain Sanctuary B&B
Mountain Sanctuary B&B
#1 of 5 in Eagle Heights

Been to Amber Lodge Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!