“Perfect stay!”

Cottages On Mount View
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Cottages on Mount View at the beginning of March and had a truly relaxing time! We had booked in at a place slightly further south originally, but due to the torrential rain, it was inaccessible, so we therefore looked at alternative places to stay. This looked very secluded and the reviews were good, so I went ahead and booked. I had planned to propose to my girlfriend at the original hotel, so was panicking when they told me that it couldn't be reached, however I called up and spoke with John (Owner of Cottages on Mt View) to inform him of my predicament and he was very helpful in arranging everything and giving me suggestions that would make the occasion a special one. The Cottage itself was so secluded and included 2 bedrooms, fully functioning kitchen, BBQ on the terrace and our own private hot tub! I think 3 out of the 4 retreats have a hot tub and this is something I would definitely recommend. When we arrived John had turned it on and it was ready to go and simple to use...and it was such fun to spend the day wine tasting around the local wineries and then being able to enjoy your purchases in the hot tub underneath the stars-truly memorable! We used the BBQ on the first night and went into Cessnock to buy steak from the butchers and necessities from Aldi-about 20 mins drive away. On the second night we organised a restaurant transfer to take us to a restaurant called Robert's (about 20 mins away-and with excellent food) this allowed us to have a few drinks and only cost $50 for 2 return.
The tranquility of the retreat itself is perfect and you awaken daily to hear the birds chirping. A breakfast hamper is also included, so you can cook bacon, eggs, tomatoes and mushrooms on the BBQ each morning which is fun too. The owners live on site, so it's comforting to know they are only a few minutes walk away if you do need anything, otherwise once you meet them on arrival, they will leave you alone to relax in one of the beautiful cottages. All in all a fantastic stay! For those that want some affordable luxury combined with peace and quiet for a couple of nights, this is the ideal place. We will certainly return!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Elfiemoon

Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband and I and another couple were visiting Australia and wanted to experience ethe Hunter Valley as well as a bit of the Australian 'outback'. We hit the jackpot whe we found Cottage on Mount View. It was perfect for the 4 of us. The 2 br cottage provided just the right level of comfort and quaintness, was the perfect size, the hot tub was an added bonus and was taken advantage off. We love the warm welcome we got from John and the beautiful grounds we were on. We were so close to nature it was fabulous! The breakfast hamper was such a great touch and being away from the tourist trail made it feel like a real getaway. We cannot wait to come back and stay again! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

Room Tip: Get the cabin with the hot tub..totally worth it :)
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hanna2104
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We have been staying at the Cottages for the past 3 years and have taken many of our friends with us when we stay, everyone agrees that it is a beautiful place set deep in the valley. With no mobile phone s to bother us and the sounds of bell birds as you drive into Mount View, I just start to relax and feel at home.The Cottages have just changed hands but the feel of the place hasn't changed, John and Andy have kept the charm going. It's out of the hustle and bustle and tucked away amongst the wineries. The wine tour is fantastic, be prepared for a whole day of eating and drinking. We are going back again in March and probably again later in the year. We can't stay away.

Room Tip: We like the 2 cottages at the bottom of the hill, but even the 2 at the top are beautiful
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Polley01
Reviewed December 4, 2012

A girlfriend and I took a mid-week getaway with my 4yr son. On arrival John was more than accommodating. We located our cabin, conveniently positioned away from the others for privacy. A breakfast hamper awaited us complete with local eggs, bacon and fresh milk. The cabin itself is roomy yet cozy with everything you need for a short break. All that was needed to complete the features was a cheese platter and cheese knives. Better quality wine glasses would have been a bonus but not a concern. Beds were super comfy with bedrooms providing extra blankets, pillows, 2 bedside lamps (always annoys me with only one) and hooks for clothing. Bathroom is neat and tidy with a hot shower and plenty of towel racks. One of the best features is the heated outdoor spa - we enjoyed 2 nights under the stars tasting our cellar door selections. The spa was clean, hot and the neon colour-changing under water lights added a touch of drama. We took a stroll around the property whilst not flat terrain was easy to navigate and a good way to burn off some energy of a 4 yr old. Accessed via dirt roads, the property certainly gives the feeling of seclusion. It is only a 10 min drive into the heart of the Hunter. We had a sensational stay at the cottage and will definitely return whether it be with friends, with my partner or family. Thank you to John & Andy who are running a wonderful business. You definitely get what you pay for and more!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jemo147
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My wife and I have been to the Hunter Valley many times and this one (after our wedding) had to be one of the best. It is very off the beaten track and you feel very hidden away in the forest. The sound and smell of nature is all around, yet you can still reach all the wineries easily. We had the bigger cabin with the Jacuzzi, which made for a very refreshing change during the hot weekend. Loved it!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Timmeronline
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed here one with my boyfriend and his parents. Through no fault of his own, the owner was not expecting us - we arrived around 9pm from Sydney on the Friday and still the owner provided us with a breakfast basket that he put together there and then. He also made us very welcome and managed to book us onto a wine tour for Sat morning - he couldn't have been any nicer! The location was perfect - close enough to the vineyards but not close to any other properties apart from the other cabins, and they still are a distance from each other. The cottages themselves are very well furniished for all amenities and provide a very cosy cottage feel with a log fire, BBQ and a hot tub!! Just what you need for a weekend away from the City life. I will be making this my hub for every future visit with other family members to the Hunter. Perfect location, and perfect service from the owner ensuring our stay was a comfortable one! Loved every miinute of it :)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LisaAnneJ86
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I took my partner away to Cottages On Mount View as an early Birthday celebration; we had a fabulous time.

Located a stone throws away from some gorgeous boutique Wineries (Briar Ridge and Tallavera amongst our favourite), we loved that it was away from the main touristy hub of the Hunter. I would make this my base hands down for every future trip to the Hunter in future! Such a lovely place to escape to at the end of the day. Accessed only by dirt roads, I couldn't help but feel at times as though I was driving amongst the vineyards in France (not that I have been!) especially the outlook from Tallavera whilst taste testing some of their superb wine (especially the sticky dessert selection) and away from all the hustle and bustle of tourist buses. Our lunch at Briar Ridge was superb and next time we are keen to also try Mollines at Tallavera for lunch, close our eyes and pretend we are in the south of France amongst the vineyards.

From the hammock amongst the gumtrees to the hot spa under the stars, the cosy fire place in the cottage, the BBQ on the verandah to help enjoy dinner, the very generous breakfast hamper (which consisted of juice and bubbly, bread, eggs, bacon, tomatoes,milk, butter and chocolates) and the hospitality and warmth we were greeted with by John...all of these made our stay at Cottages On Mount View a very memorable one, and how could I forget the gorgeous Bellbirds, what a way to wake up; pure bliss!

We will certainly return and perhaps even share with some friends next time.

Room Tip: Next time we would perhaps aim for one of the Cottages whose main verandah faces the bush and not th...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple