“Wonderful experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Napo Wildlife Center Ecolodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Yasuni National Park
Napo Wildlife Center Ecolodge
Tarrytown, New York
“Wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

My family and I (including a 13 year old grandson) stayed in the lodge in July, for 5 days and 4 nights. The accomodations were wonderful, the service and food great. We went on one hike and returned with very muddy boots which were cleaned by the staff and appeared, like new, in our cabin. The setting is beautiful - I wish I were back there now.

Although the naturalists at the lodge are very knowledgeable, we hired a special bird guide because we are obsessive birders. We saw 192 species of birds and also 8 species of monkeys - amazing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cgriff511
NapoWildlifeCenter, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Napo Wildlife Center Ecolodge, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Excelent sightings!!

We hope that you and your 13 year old grandson have a nice amazon experience with us.

Thanks for your review birders!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I traveled t the Napo Wildlife Center in July as part of my three week long trip to Ecuador, primarily for birding. I spent over three days at the Center since the trip to and from takes the better part of a day from Quito. In that time I saw 160 species of birds and was a very happy birder. I had been a bit concerned prior to the trip as I had read a review from a birder who indicated the experience was disappointing. In fact when the guide who was with the boat going from Coca to the Napo Center saw me birding on the Napo River he arranged for me to have a private birding expert the next three days, saying they wanted to make sure I had a good experience. Indeed I did. I suspect the birder who wrote the previous review never spoke up and indicated what she wanted. In my case I would have but I never had to.

The rooms were rustic, as one should expect of a lodge in a pristine, natural area, but spotlessly clean. The food was likewise, rustic but well prepared and more than enough. All the guides were helpful and informative, but Remi, the bird specialist I was with truly had the eyes of an eagle and the patience of a saint.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank PuffTrog
NapoWildlifeCenter, Guest Relations Manager at Napo Wildlife Center Ecolodge, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Amazing birding trip!!

Thanks a lot for your review, we are so happy that your birding experience in Napo Wildlife Center have been a fantastic adventure.

P.D. Nice pictures!
Quito, Ecuador
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Yes, the Napo Wildlife Center was oh so beautiful! We went on a 4 day trip, but can recommend anyone to stay longer. The best of this lodge is really that it is so quiet and peaceful – you only hear the howler monkeys, birds and typical jungle noise! The activities are very well organized and the amount of wildlife is just stunning! We even saw a giant otter! Definitely recommend this place…although it’s a bit expensive too!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Becky H
Thanks for your nice comment Becky!

Always is a pleasure receive people like you in our lodge.

Feel free to recommend us through social networks, or stay in touch in the same way.

Kichwa Añangu Community
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I can repeat everything people have said but I'll try to add some things.

I brought my wife here for the first half of our honeymoon, not having any clue what really to expect except from reviews from Tripadvisor and National Geographic. We stayed five nights.

First I would like to say that my wife is not an wildlife enthusiast and was hesitant on this part of the trip but the second we arrived to the lodge she said this "Pictures don't justify how gorgeous this place is." I was relieved because she was right. It's like arriving to a remote paradise.

We hired private guides which is a must if you're into wildlife/photography, I highly recommend it. Not to say that the group trips don't because they saw just as much and some groups saw things I wish we got to see but that's just how wildlife works. The guides are awesome we had Remi and Phillip and they found about 90% of my target species which I would have been happy with 30%. I can't speak highly enough about them. They went out of their way to make it really enjoyable for my wife by looking for things that she liked for example Wooly Monkeys. The first day we were lucky to find a large group that was crossing over our heads. This was the first time I have ever seen my wife light up with enjoyment over wildlife. We saw over 75 types of birds (Wire-tailed Manakin!!), at least 11 frog species, Giant Otters, 8 types of monkeys, and I'm sure I'm forgetting things.

Besides the wildlife the food and staff are great. The accommodations are comfortable and clean. It is very humid so be prepared and bring a few pairs of socks pants and shirts. It wasn't as hot as I expected and cool at night but still dress light. They also provide laundry service if needed. They provide you with boots which is the only thing to use when walking the trials. I didn't find any need for bug spray but I would use a little on the hikes if your prone to bites . At the lodge they are almost non existent. You might find a large moth in your room but nothing crazy.

Things to remember.

Tips are not included and the staff deserves them. We tipped more than asked.

Bring light clothes because it's humid and can be hot.

Be open to the experience and have fun.

It was a once in a life time experience and my wife ended up loving it. I hope to someday return.

Thanks again!

3 Thank JamesMucho
NapoWildlifeCenter, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Napo Wildlife Center Ecolodge, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
We are so happy that your stay at NWC has been a great wildlife experience, specially for your wife.

Remi and Phillip are so grateful about your comment, and they want to apologize for the 10% of your target species that they couldn't found ;)

Thanks for including in your review some "things to remember" for our next visitors.

Thanks again for your nice review!!

Our best regards

Kichwa Añangu Community
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

If you're looking for an authentic trip to the Amazon, and also want to help the native inhabitants, The Napo Wildlife Center is the place for you! We spent 4 days and 3 nights at the lodge and can't wait to go back. On the canoe ride to the lodge, we saw 5 different species of monkeys, more birds than you can imaging, and the trip only got better from there. The lodge is located on a small lake, complete with Piranhas, a 14' Caiman, a family of giant Otters, and other abundant wildlife. Our cabin/hut was beautiful, had a king bed, nice bathroom, was spotless, and was about 10' from the lake. We'd site on our porch and watch all types of birds and amphibians that didn't seem to mind we were there. The staff is very attentive, most spoke english, and very friendly. They also have a 130' tower in the top of a Kapok tree that gives you a view of the rainforest, from above the canopy. We saw sloths, monkeys and macaws, along with amazing views of the rainforest. The meals were mostly buffet, but the chef was more than happy to cook up a special order. The food was delicious. The lodge is owned and operated by natives that grew up in the area, and since it's in the Yasuni National Park, very unspoiled. I wouldn't change a thing about our visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room next to the lake. Some of the rooms in the back, near the lodge, are tucked in a lit...
1 Thank MikeC33471
NapoWildlifeCenter, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Napo Wildlife Center Ecolodge, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Hello Mike,

You had nice sightings of wildlife my friend. Thanks for your very detailed comment about your amazon rainforest experience ;)

Please feel free to follow us on our social networks.

Thanks for visiting NWC Ecolodge!
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

A fast motorized canoe with roof was packed with luggage and 16 tourists for a 2 hour ride to a creek. There we transferred to 4 canoes, each with a naturalist guide speaking English, a native guide and a paddler. We were split up by nationality (and perhaps age) for the next 3 days, 4 Aussies, 6 Brits, 4 Yanks plus 2 Germans. The 2 hour paddle up the narrow creek was the start of our adventures.
We could have touched the anaconda lying half out of the water with the agouti-shaped bulge in its body. Five species of monkey were seen - squirrel, howler, saki, woolly and capuchin. We saw two-toed and three-toed sloths, several caiman and the family of 7 giant otters on 2 days. My bird list was 73 species in 3 days, including wire-tailed manikin, herons, toucans, parrots (but no macaws), many kites, tanagers ... Our small group had the best naturalist guide, Delfin. He is from the Kichwa tribe, which runs the enterprise and he found so many animals for us. He even used our camera to get better photos. The most exciting sighting for him was a Harpy eagle atop a bare branch some 500m away from the Observation Tower.
Near a clay lick we visited a Kichwa village where the women sang, danced and showed cultural items. It was very interesting. The resort was luxurious and we felt the cost of $890 each was not too high for 3 days in the Amazon basin.
I do not think it is necessary to divide groups by nationality or age. We had no complaints but some people in another group, younger than us, wished they had shared our experiences. I am glad we did not have a specialist bird guide - why restrict yourself to birds? Delfin was great.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
NapoWildlifeCenter, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Napo Wildlife Center Ecolodge, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Hello!

Amazing anaconda&wildlife experience for you!

It is good to know that your amazon trip was a nice adventure. Please, receive our best regards from the entire Kichwa Añangu Community.

If you want to stay in touch with wildlife, feel free to follow us on or social networks.

Thanks for your review!
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

I think other five-star reviewers have pretty much covered all the wonderful aspects of this lodge; the incredible wildlife, friendly staff, good food, spacious rooms. So I'll just address a few points that might need clarification:

To the reviewer below who complained that she saw boats going out with groups of two or three when she was in a group with 8: almost certainly these folks paid for a private guide, as we did. I can't stress enough that if you have a specialized interest--such as birding, or you just want to have peace and quiet and privacy--shell out for a private guide. The birding guide cost us $500 for our four night stay, and I believe a general naturalist private guide would be somewhat less. It was well worth it. Every day we did what WE wanted to do. We did not have to go to the "cultural center" and we got out and about to the trails and creeks before everyone else. We even did a dusk to dark boat trip searching for owls and Zigzag Heron (which unfortunately we didn't find, but we did find nightjars and sloths low in the trees and much more.)

I don't understand those who say they didn't see much. We saw 7 species of monkey, countless birds, three or four snakes, many lizards, tons of butterflies, dragonflies. The experience of the parakeets at the clay lick is one I'll always remember. The only big miss were the Giant River Otters...not sure where they were but we didn't see them, which was a little disappointing, but that's wildlife--no guarantees.

Just floating/paddling down the creeks at the end of the day, listening to the bird sounds and the insects buzzing, was magical.

Re: the wifi, we thought $10 for our FULL STAY was certainly reasonable, and it was fast enough for me to get my email and check Facebook. It was actually surprising to me that the wif-fi was as good as it was, we had NO wifi anywhere else on our Ecuador trip on the West Andean slope.

Our only minor complaint is currently being addressed--the bar area is way too small, with no comfortable seating. However they are in process of building a larger dining area and bar so I hope that will be remedied. The bartender, Marcelo, makes a great, authentic margarita and delicious gin and tonic with freshly squeezed lime, nice to be able to not worry about the ice too.

All the food was very good and plenty of choice with at least two main entrees each night.

We loved our stay there and would go again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: We first were put in Cabin 8, which was right by the dock, and since they were doing construction, t...
1 Thank jczinn
NapoWildlifeCenter, Guest Relations Manager at Napo Wildlife Center Ecolodge, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thanks for your clarifications!!

We are so happy that your stay in NWC has covered your expectations.

As you said, Añangu Kichwa community is beginning the construction of a tower of 27 meters in the area of the restaurant, which will have 6 levels, and the entire 3th floor will be a bar and an entertainment area. Our apollogies for seats, we promise that in your next visit you'll enjoy another good margarita in a very confortable seat ;)

Please, feel free to follow us through our social networks.

Our best regards
Cotococha Amazon Lodge
Cuyabeno River Lodge
Cuyabeno River Lodge
#7 of 9 in Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve

Been to Napo Wildlife Center Ecolodge? Share your experiences!