We booked our trip through Columbus Travel beginning with one night at the SwissHotel in Quito followed by 3 nights at La Selva, culminating with a week on the OceanSpray in the Galapagos. I cannot begin to express what a wonderful trip this was. Our stay at La Selva was a great way to kick off the adventure. I had no idea how interesting birds are - there were so many birders at the lodge and so many interesting and rare birds to be seen that you simply can't help but become one yourself!
Our naturalist Oscar and native guide Rodrigo were both excellent. Rodrigo has eyes like a hawk - spotting a pigmy marmoset (the size of your fist and the same colors as the bark and knots in the tree) up a tree about 50 feet in the air. My younger son caught a piranha on his first toss, though the rest of us were not so lucky. The chef cooked it up for us - actually quite tasty though LOTS of bones!
The accommodations are very nice. We lucked out with the weather - though it rained quite a bit (it is a rainforest, as they will remind you often) - it stopped at just the right moments for us to enjoy our activities. Lots of walks and canoe rides. Very interesting trip to the local village - encourage your guide to go to the Sima Isla (??) village rather than just the house as there is a lot more to see and it more interesting based on conversations with other guests who just went to the house.
Lots of early mornings which my 14 year old could have lived without, but leisurely midday rests and early nights. No AC, which was fine, though I imagine at times it can be pretty hot so just know that before your visit.
Very clean accommodations and great food. People are all very friendly. Our guide spoke perfect English, though I have heard that for some there was a bit of a language barrier, so if you have no Spanish you might request a naturalist with good English skills. The native guides don't speak much English, but as long as your naturalist does it is totally fine.
You learn so much and really can't go wrong. I highly recommend this addition to your Ecuadorian adventure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Selva Amazon Ecolodge offers wildlife tours, special birdwatching programs, honeymoon trips and family excursions, all in harmony with the rainforest around you. At La Selva, guests are given the opportunity to explore intricate trail systems led by both a local Native Guides and a bilingual Naturalist Guides divided into small groups in order to maximize overall experiences. La Selva’s guides are the key to fulfilling and captivating outings because they already know the area well by seeing, and hearing things guests cannot. They are passionate about the jungle and their years of experience make all the difference between an acceptable tour and an astounding tour in the Amazon. Native guides are from the local communities and behold an awesome amount of ancestral knowledge about the Amazon. The Naturalist Guides that lead guests through the Amazon are bilingual and have studied and trained for many years in order to become a Naturalist and National Park certified guide. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your La Selva Amazon Ecolodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Selva Jungle Hotel Yasuni National Park
- La Selva Amazon Ecolodge Ecuador/Yasuni National Park