“Amazon Experience”

and 1 more site!
La Selva Amazon Ecolodge
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 2, 2013

First, the Amazon is a must visit for travelers. However, you must set expectations. It is not Africa with its readily viewable wildlife. It is dense forest where you will need to work at viewing mammals and birds. However, the foliage, insects, and arachnids make it a must do. La Selva is a great lodge. Guides are super knowledgeable and the food is amazing. Accommodations are great. Bring light weight long sleeves. The heat and humidity are to be reckoned with. The remoteness of the lodge gives you a true Amazonian experience.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank curtishinton

Reviewed October 27, 2013

A little spendy for college kids, but totally worth it! Amazing guides, amazing food, amazing adventures. Hands down the best part of our month long vacation.

Rooms were very basic. The open concept was a lot of fun. Falling asleep to the sound of the Amazon was really neat.

I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We visited Galapagos, Machu Picchu and La Selva in June 2013 and had an absolutely wonderful time at La Selva Lodge in the Amazonian jungle. After arriving at Coca airport we travelled in a large motorised river vessel for 2 and a half hours down the Napo River - a vast shallow expanse of water, a tributary of the Amazon. We enjoyed a packed lunch on the way. We disembarked at a wooden jetty and then walked through the jungle along a boardwalk for about 1 km giving us a introductory taste of the general jungle environment - the La Selva staff pointing out various features of the jungle vegetation as we walked along in the dripping rain (La Selva provided raincoats!). At the end of the boardwalk we transferred to small canoes paddled by our expert local guides to La Selva Lodge. This is truly a beautiful place - very peaceful and private and nestled within the thick jungle at the lakes edge. We had 5 days of adventure and exploration of the area, including a day visit to a local community which was a great privilege and provided insights into the traditional lifestyle of the indigenous people. Every day was different and provided us with a range of guided activities, including a night walk through the jungle. We saw many birds and animals that we had previously only dreamed about seeing! Our accommodation was excellent and the food absolutely fantastic (much of it local traditional fare). We cannot speak highly enough of the staff - friendly, helpful, very knowledgable and also cheerful and entertaining! Our naturalist guides, Roddy and Diana, provided so much information and a great deal of fun too! We indeed felt very privileged to be able to share time with people who know and love this part of the world so well. Overall a fabulous jungle experience!! We would love to return sometime!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank David B
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We visited the Galapagos Islands, Machu Picchu and La Selva on this trip. La Selva and the Amazon were wonderful. The wild life, birds, monkeys, and even an enormous anaconda more than met our expectations. The food was excellent, the accommodation outstanding but above all our guides Daniel and Rodrigo made this a really memorable part of our vacation.
The 2 hour motorized canoe ride to and from the lodge is a challenge but this was in part because the river was very low when we were there.
Thanks to everyone at La Selva and Kuoda travel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2013

The first time I stayed at La Selva Lodge was 2 years ago, in January 2011. I fell in love with this place even back then when it was much less comfortable than now. The second time I came there in January 2013 to be most pleasantly surprised by the changes. The place was completely renovated, with the beautiful new cabanas, new reception and restaurant. This time my trip was organized by Verónica (Vero) Darquea from Haugan Cruises. She was very helpful, efficient and friendly, very easy to talk with, and since then every time I came to Ecuador I asked Vero for help.
Instead of the old, rustic cabin from my first visit, I stayed in a beautiful scenic room (with a nice touch of toiletries being L’Occitane), very spacious and airy, open to the jungle on two sides, with only a very fine wire mesh screen separating me from the sights, smells and sounds of the jungle – what I actually came here for. (The third time I had a similar room) The food at La Selva is marvelous. If you are lucky and stay there on Sunday, you will be treated to a perfect lunch featuring excellent traditional dishes from the different regions of Ecuador. I must also mention the heartbreakingly beautiful laguna (the lake) in which I swam every day after each walk. Don’t be scared of piranhas (actually sometimes piranha fishing took place just a few meters away from me), it is perfectly safe to swim there (piranhas don’t attack unless you have a gushing wound). The water in the lake is rainfall blackwater, soft and velvety. It is also acidic, which is one of the main reasons for the lack of mosquitoes at the lodge.
Indeed, La Selva is very beautiful and luxurious, and everybody, beginning with a gorgeous and absolutely wonderful Hotel Manager Luis Miguel, is extremely friendly and helpful, but this is not the most important thing that makes this unique place so attractive for me. Of course the best part is Nature. When I came to La Selva for the second time I already knew from my previous experience that, since I wanted to spend as much time as possible in the jungle, bird-, mammal-, reptile-, amphibian- and arthropod-watching, it was better to do it with a private guide. I asked for Rodrigo Jipa. I remembered him from my first visit. He is an excellent bilingual native guide, born and raised in the jungle. The abundance of wildlife we saw during my second visit was what made me want to come for the third time (and hopefully the fourth). The most fantastic experience during my second visit was our following the sound of the red howler monkeys until I found myself standing under a tree and looking straight in the eyes of a huge male who was hanging from a thick branch upside down and howling (singing, actually) so beautifully that it was breaking my heart. Rodrigo was making the sounds imitating the call of another male and the monkey was doing his best to demonstrate that he was bigger, tougher and louder. Other fantastic moments happened during our night canoe rides. Once Rodrigo showed me a family of cute squirrel monkeys peering at us from the top of a palm tree trunk (where the leaves branch off from the trunk) were they settled for the night. I can still see their lovely faces. Another time he showed me a family of night owl monkeys (mom, dad, and baby): they looked as if he arranged for them to be there for me and they were just waiting for us to arrive. I can remember another perfect moment when he showed me an empty wasp nest and told me to put my camera into the opening and make a picture with a flash. To my greatest surprise and delight, several bats burst out of it and I ended with a funny picture of surprised bats looking at me from inside the nest. I knew very well that there was a lot more to be seen there and so I decided to come again, this time for 5 days. This time it was even better in spite of the rain we had every day (during my first two visits I never saw a raindrop). This time I was accompanied by Rodrigo and Sergio, a young native guide trained by Rodrigo to become another excellent guide. We walked quite a lot (this was my request). Actually, out first walk next day started at 3 AM and continued till 7AM. Every night we had night walks with torches to see different kind of wildlife. When I think about it now, I cannot believe that I saw it all with my own eyes. The day we went to the bird-watching tree-tower we saw 23 (!) bird species. During these 4 and a half days, apart from a great number of bird species (toucans, arasaris, laughing falcon, different owl species, even evasive trumpeters) and squirrel monkeys, I saw capuchin monkeys, dusky titi monkeys (Sergio saw them right at the lodge and showed them to me - very clearly), black-mantled tamarins, night owl monkeys, red howler monkeys. At night we saw olingos and kinkajous (every night!), a fantastic-looking emerald tree boa (very close, just 1 meter away from me, actually we saw him two nights in a row), a cayman eating a big fish, Amazon forest dragon, a white-tailed deer (3 meters away from us, did not run away, just stood there looking at us), a possum, and – at last !!!!! – an armadillo. I wanted to see an armadillo so much and I finally saw him very clearly, with his long tail trailing behind him. The most amazing animal, however, we saw on one of our morning walks – a huge 4-meter long red-tail Amazon boa (Boa constrictor) resting on a huge tree. Bravo, Rodrigo!!!! I think that La Selva lodge ought to be proud of Rodrigo who is one of the best naturalist guides in Ecuador. So, if you are as crazy about nature as I am, and not afraid of walking a lot along the slippery trails (sometimes without trails at all), if you want to see as much wildlife as possible and, at the same time return from your walk to your luxurious room and have an excellent meal – go to La Selva and ask for Rodrigo to be your private guide.
I forgot to mention that when I came the third time I was given a most hearty greeting and a nice discount by Luisa Cordova, Vice President, and a royal treatment! Thank you, guys! I am looking forward to coming to La Selva for the fourth time.

Room Tip: If there's no hammock on your scenic room balcony, just ask the manager for it! They are all ver...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Maria_the_Snorkeler
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We arrived at Coca not knowing what to expect. Met at the airport and taking by bus to our canoe for a two hour ride to the lodge. All transfers were handled smoothly, no need to worry. Greeted at the lodge with a refreshing drink and a short presentation on what to expect. Marianne the lodge manager was very helpful. Room was beautiful. Even had wifi in the lounge area so not really secluded unless you wanted to be. Had an afternoon excursion around the lake looking at birds, monkeys, reptiles and bugs.
The next two days were action packed with excursions around the lake and hikes in the jungle including a night hike which was interesting. Swam with the piranas. Saw an anaconda. Saw 4 different types of monkeys. Howler monkeys were the best. Apparently saw a sloth from a great distance but I had to take the guides word for that. I just saw this black form at a distance slide down the top of a tree. Visited a small village and met a lovely family. Even ate a roasted slug served to us. Surprisingly good. Food at the lodge was very good.
Actually the most memorable experience for me was the sounds. Amazing and completely foreign for me.
Transfer back the last morning also was very smooth. our guide Paul was very knowledgeable and kept us well informed.
There are a few things that need improving like the butterfly farm but they know that and are working on it. Trails are rustic, but I wouldn't change that.
Overall a most enjoyable and truly different 4 days.

Room Tip: We had a room overloking the lake which was nice, but they al seemed well located.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Angshannie
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Rachel and myself went as boyfriend and girlfriend, and emerged from the jungle a happy engaged couple. The staff at La Selva were friendly and professional in everything, and helped with the surprise engagement hike through the jungle, champagne and all.

Of particular mention were the managers, Paul (bilingual guide) and the chef. The food is consistently Michelin-star quality. Yoga was great & the spa is excellent) - Hot tubs in the jungle - love it! Even whisked through airports at both ends (Quito and Coca).

Strongly recommend: sunglasses, books, a long zoom camera (I had 400mm and that wasn't enough sometimes) ... and do use their ponchos!

Minor quibbles - hot water inconsistent (at least in Room 20) - despite what they say this IS fixable :), room could have been cleaner (e.g. cobwebs) and above bed mosquito netting tied down better. A better wine list would be a bonus - Malbecs not from Mendoza - a crime in wine! :)

Hope to go back - on an anniversary?

Room Tip: Traditional rooms are a bit basic though nicely done.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Shiripuno Amazon Lodge
Amazon Dolphin Lodge
Amazon Dolphin Lodge
#7 of 12 in Coca

Been to La Selva Amazon Ecolodge? Share your experiences!