“We love Montañita!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Montanita

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Miami, Florida
36 helpful votes
“We love Montañita!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

This is a town along "La Ruta Del Sol", its a surfer town with tons of tourist and lots of partying! We stayed at La Baja hostel which is a hotel on the outskirts of the actual party area. I highly recommend you stay outside the party area because the party never stops and the hostels within that area are open so quite is not an option.
The food is great and extremely cheap, i ordered a plate of rice, beans, steak and plantains for $3!! The service is very very very slow. Everything is freshly made so be prepared to wait at least 30 minutes for your food. On the flip side, drinks are also very cheap so order some drinks, people watch and relax. for a quicker meal local street vendors make fresh ceviche and flat bread pizzas made on a grill, those are great and for $1.50 makes for a great after drinks snack
There is a street that has little drink bars side by side on both sides of the street. See which ones have the most people and go to those. We made the mistake of going to an empty and quickly realized why it was empty. Their margaritas were made of tequila and ice nothing else, not very tasty.
We headed to the beach at about 3 a.m. and there were tons of people on the beach, many had set up tents and bonfires. There are lots of people selling handmade jewelry and souvenirs. This is a great town to visit but like anywhere else be aware of your surroundings and don't take any valuables.

2 Thank Mary_Rivero
London, United Kingdom
5 helpful votes
“Mar Azul Spanish School”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2010

I had 5 days of Spanish classes at Mar Azul, my teacher being Miguel. Lovely setting, good materials and reasonable prices.
I had 4 hours per day where the first 2.5 hours were spent with Miguel, where we studied grammar and conversational Spanish, 1.5 hours in the afternoon were with Gaby, who again helped me with conversational skills.
Miguel is a lovely guy, and was thorough in his delivery, and teaching methods. Gaby is the owner and I really gelled with her. Both are great teachers and I learnt so much in the 20 hours I had there.
I would recommend Mar Azul for the organisation and really friendly teachers.

1 Thank Sonneva
Barcelona
“Amazing time in Mar Azul spanish school”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2009

`I spent a fantastic week at Mar Azual with Gaby and within that week my spanish improved immensly, Gaby has been one of the best professors of spanish I have EVER come across and would highly recommend her school, classes and home to all. She teachers in a very logical and fun way making spainish easy to learn....my only regret is not having stayed longer!`

114 helpful votes
“cool place to see”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2008

We spend time in Montañita Ecuador for a fate, we were planning to stay en Salinas and somebody said is a nice place to see, and it is, I am not a surf fan but I like this crazy place, in 6 or 7 blocks you get more than 20 hostales or hotels build in wood or brick two or even 4 floors 4 ATM. Prices go between 6 dollars to 30 dollars, and even the 8 dollars include breakfast and cocktail, be prepared to stay without air-conditioned and may be a fly. You see people all around most young people looking for the best wave to surf, because the localization is a very nice to practice the surf and if you do not know how to do it, you can get classes for 4 hours for 20 dollars. Food is incredible nice and not expensive. In one word is a cool place to see.

1 Thank Alvaro A
USA
4 helpful votes
“Party beach hippies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2008

cute little town with a nice beach and parties that go all night long. Lots of cute litte restaurantes and bars along the main road. You can go whale watching and parasailing and surfing! Awesome crepes!! Really good little drink stands along the roads that have blended drinks with fresh fruit and also stands that sell coctails. There are hippies from all over that come to sell their hand made jewelery and crafts.. really neat to see it all! Its a pretty beach and lots of FUN!! :)

1 Thank Rissy5000

Been to Montanita? Share your experiences!