“very good spanish school!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montanita
Marazul Spanish School & Hostel
Alkmaar, The Netherlands
“very good spanish school!”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I loved studying Spanish at Marazul Spanish school.
It is a small local school with very professional enthusiastic teachers.
Isabel my teacher was really good, always reacted on my feedback. And did a lot of extra work to help me with my special request for practicing aviaton vocabulary, where I work in.
I do recomend to email the school in advance to make sure they reserve a class for you.

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 17, 2011

During a 3 month trip through South America stayed in Montanita for over a month. Wanting to learn surfing and spanish I contacted Gaby for lessons. Lessons were amazing. Took daily private lessons all through my stay. Classes are great, you talk a lot (luckily not one of those classes where you write all the time), and in a month covered virtually all the grammar. But apart from, that Gaby is such a warm, and great person. (and don't forget Kyle the dog..). She helped me right after first contact with accomodation, and transport from Guayaquil. And apart from classes she gives regular dinners at her place, gathers everyone for nights out in town.

All in all, a fantastic experience for everyone who wants to learn talking spanish quickly and meet a wonderful person! Very, very, very recommendable (also financially by the way)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Asbury Park, New Jersey
Reviewed June 4, 2011

What a gem of a Spanish school! Surfing might bring you to Montanita, but classes at relaxed Marazul will make you stay. Gaby, the owner, is a special, lovely person, who can arrange all aspects of your stay in Montanita. She even helped me figure out how to get a yellow fever vaccination and arranged a group tour, complete with lunch, to a local waterfall. I never had Gaby as a teacher, but for four weeks I delighted in having dedicated and cheerful Miguel as my teacher. He may not be the most accomplished linguist (often I had to correct him--with my knowledge of Latin and Italian, I have a good grasp of grammar), but he is supportive and encouraging and he is excellent at explaining vocabulary in Spanish (without resorting to English) and coming up with games to practice grammar and vocabulary. On top of that, he loves what he does and it makes his students love studying Spanish. He even volunteered to go out to dinner with us twice because he enjoys socializing with us, even if our Spanish is painfully rudimentary. This is an exceptional Spanish school.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed July 20, 2010

I can't possibly say enough good things about the Mar Azul school.

I studied here for 3 weeks in March, and the amount of Spanish I learned was amazing. I studied for 4 hours a day solo with Gaby, and she was a fantastic teacher. I had little to no knowledge of spanish when I arrived, and in three weeks, I was not only comprehending a lot when other people talked, but I could also express myself in the present, past, and future tenses.

Classes are taught outside, with sand under your feet and warm sun above. They're casual -- it doesn't feel at all like the last language class you had in high school or college. They're focused on real learning, not book learning -- you don't waste your time learning to spell correctly, and instead are focused on useful spanish.

Gaby was an amazing teacher -- of all my teachers in the US and otherwise, she was the best language teacher by far. And she went out of the way not only to make sure that you were OK throughout your visit, but she organized activities like dancing, dinner, and tours to make sure your days and nights were busy. I really enjoyed talking with her -- it wasn't just language practice, it was fun.

Prices are more than reasonable, and Montanita is a great place. There's a lot to do, many places to eat, and a varied culture close around the city. Like most people, I tried to learn to surf, but also did cool things like spear fishing and hiking.

Really, do this if you can. Gaby's school is so much better than the one in town with tons of tourists flowing through. And you're helping a local, Ecuadorian business.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank Ben S
Virginia
Reviewed October 24, 2009

I took 2 weeks of Spanish classes at Marazul Spanish School in Montanita in June 2009. I previously did not speak any Spanish, but as a medical student in the US I feel it's absolutely necessary to at least be able to make my patients feel comfortable around me (even if I still need a translator for the medical discourse). I chose Marazul Spanish School because of their one-on-one classes and their beach location (the other Spanish school in Montanita has group classes which I felt were not what I needed).

I lived with a family in Montanita and took 4 hours of Spanish lessons one on one with Gaby (the schools owner) every day. Gaby is an incredible teacher and she really cares about teaching her students Spanish. She also worked at a Spanish school in Quito for many years before opening her own business and so she employs the best practices that she learned working in a bigger city, but now she works with only a few other teachers. Gaby's hostel is clean and a little removed from the night life scene at Montanita, so you can actually sleep on nights the discotheque is open until 7 AM (every weekend night)!

Overall, this was really the best experience of my life. I loved Montanita and I loved working with Gaby, and after only two weeks I felt comfortable speaking Spanish alone in a foreign country and knowing I would be understood. I highly recommend this to anyone interesting in taking Spanish lessons abroad.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo