“Best place on the point!!!”
Review of Casa del Sol

Casa del Sol
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Casa Del Sol was awesome!
Nice bar, Relaxing tropical atmosphere,
Excellent food (Jessica's nightly specials ruled), the coffee and breakfast started every day off right. Best of all the people, everyone I met there was very interesting from different places in the world. And many of them were staying at Casa Del Sol for their 2nd or 3rd time. That's why I'm going back to Casa Del Sol. Thanks Tamara & Greg for the good times and memories!!!

Your Pal Al in So Cal ;-)

P.S. I'll be back
And I'm gonna try Yoga next time too

Room Tip: No swimming pool. They have the Pacific Ocean. Everything else was on La Punta!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I just can't stay away from this place. I origionally stayed at CDS for 3 weeks Christmas 2011. After my turn home, the first thing I did was book a ticket back for the following May. So when time came to book my trip this Christmas, I booked again without hesitation (only this time for a month).

The hotel itself is a bit older, but is really cool. It is built of natural woods and stone, that really give it a unique feeling, unlike some of the newer hotels in town. The highlight is by far the dining area, where everyone gathers for family dinners and drinks to share stories from home and even a few stories from the clubs in town from the night before. It is Ecuador, so sometimes hot water isn't exactly predictable and sometimes life is on "island time" , but that is part of the experience.

The location is ideal, just steps away from the beach and far enough away from town no that you can relax. It is close enough though to run into town to get whatever you need. It is by far in the best part of Montanita.

By far the part of CDS that keeps me coming back is the people! Tamara and the rest of the crew (Jess, Greg, Juanito, etc) are what makes this place the outstanding place that it is. That family like atmosphere rubs off on the guests, and by the second or third night it always seems as if the entire hotel is great friends. I still keep in close contact with dozens of people I have met at CDS, guests and staff alike.

I would recommend anyone with a positive traveling attitude to stay here, although be warned, you may end up staying longer than planned. The place is a magnate to good vibes and good times.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank FloridaTravelingSurf
Reviewed February 28, 2013

From the outside, the place looks nice. However, that's where all the good things ended. Our welcoming was terrible: we arrived at 11:00, but there was no one who said anything to us, even though there was personell around. After asking, waiting and asking again, somebody told us that our room would be ready at 14:00. We came back after 14:00 and again nobody said anything to us. Again asking and asking and then the guy said the room wasn't ready yet. The cleaner, who was just sitting and chatting with a colleague, started then to clean the room and at 15:00 we finally got our key. Further no explanation about the hostal or services, only the key and we had to search for the room ourselves.

The room was the worst we ever stayed in. With a ceiling of about 2 meter 20, hardly no daylight and no fresh air and a terrible interior without any atmosphere, it looked like a bunker. The flush of the toilet wasn't working, the water of the shower was going everywhere except in the right direction and was either cold or boiling hot, the shower doors were broken, there was mould everywhere and the bed was too short to fit in.

In the evening we talked to the owner (who we first needed to find, because still nobody had talked to us). We told her about our complaints, first she defended, but later she apoligized and get the shower and toilet fixed. We thought that a better stay would started now. Unfortunatelly, that didn't happen. Like some others said before, the owners seemed to be only willing to talk to the americans and we felt ignored. On the second day we were sitting and waiting for breakfast at 8:00, because we had to leave at 8:30. The owner passed us a few time, but didn't say anything. After 20 minutes of waiting, I asked if the breakfast started at 7:30 (what we understood) or 8:30. She said 8:30 (which is quite late in my opinion), so I told her we wouldn't make it because we had to leave. We went to the tour operator for our tour, which appeared to be cancelled. They said they informed our hostal, the owner said she never received a call. We went back to the hostal and waited in the breakfast area. The owner passed us and looked at us a few times, but didn't say anything at all, although she knew we were supposed to go on a tour that morning, because we just told her. We decided to check-out, because we never felt so unwelcome and unhappy as at this place.

When we told her we wanted to check-out (one day before we actually supposed to leave), she only said 'okay, but we charge you for tonight anyway'. We told her we were not willing to pay for the next night due to all the things that happened. She agreed and we left totally disappointed.

This was definitely the worst place we stayed at during our travel in Ecuador, although it was the most expensive one ($50 for a room per night). We had a great holiday, stayed at all different kind of hostals, bed and breakfast and hotels and they were all good except this one. We were happy to end our holiday the last night at another place (Sole Mare, just a few steps away from Casa del Sol), where the rooms were nice, the owner was friendly and which was straight at the beach.

WE WOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AndreaTheNetherlands
tamara a, Owner at Casa del Sol, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

I apologize that you left our hotel feeling the way you did and I trust that you are enjoying the rest of your vacation.

Any complaints about the room, we did address immediately to fix the situation to better your stay.

The rooms are the rooms, and the size and shape I can do nothing about. We had a family stay in your room for over 1 month and they loved it. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and we respect different tastes and perspectives.

The dive operator never called the hotel to let us know the trip was cancelled. That part of the review belongs on their Trip advisor, not ours.

As for breakfast, we have found that 8:30am to 10:30am works well for our clientele.You were informed of the times. Often people sit and drink coffee until breakfast is served and I did not know you needed to be somewhere before 8:30am. Had I known, we would have a had breakfast ready for you. That is not a problem.

Our bar is busy everynight with guests from all over the world. By the end of their stay, we are all family. But you have to want to engage with us. It takes both sides to create an experience and we believe in that symbiotic exchange between two parties.

Again, my apolozies.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I never stayed at Casa Del Sol, but I have met the owners and take regular dance and yoga classes there. They are super awesome, down-to-earth people... really personable. They offer TONS of unique classes and programs, like massages, contemporary dance, yoga, and Reiki. Beautiful location and cool little bar out front.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. This has a good location, right in front of the town surf spot, within walking distance of the night club and party scene, but far enough away that you can sleep at night. My room was small, simple, and did the trick. The place is kept reasonably clean, and has a great outdoor bar / breakfast area. The breakfasts were really good. The owner is Canadian and friendly.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matt S
Reviewed February 14, 2013

On a recent visit to Ecuador, I had the distinct pleasure of staying at Casa del Sol for one week. Located on "the point," this cozy hotel was exactly what my boyfriend and I had been looking for. Not only was it the perfect location (far enough from the craziness of town, but close enough to walk - and just steps from the beach), but the rooms were bright, clean and comfortable, and the food was the best we'd had in Ecuador (everything is fresh, healthy and homemade from scratch). The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and the vibe of other guests and local visitors was very much reminiscent of a "family" atmosphere. Even though the town is quite close, we found we preferred to spend our evenings on the patio of Casa del Sol (drinking cold, cheap beers) chatting with other travelers and the "locals" who have now made Casa del Sol their home-away-from-home ... which is always a great sign!
The owner, Tamara Allers, went out of her way to make sure we were well looked after - and she couldn't have been more generous, caring or hospitable if we'd asked. It's no wonder that people seem to flock to this place. With everything they have to offer, and the quality of service they provide - there really is no other place I would ever recommend. If you're planning a trip to Montanita or surrounding area, this is the best (the ONLY) place you should stay!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I don't like writing reviews and this is my first one, but I felt I had to write this review. The Casa del Sol is an amazing hotel that offers great food, great service, and wonderful hospitality. I was quite ill for 7 days and the staff made sure that I was comfortable through the illness. The staff was quite friendly and ensured that the guests received every item requested. The rooms were quite nice and the bathrooms are large with tremendous space available. This hotel is a five-star hotel in my opinion and you will enjoy every moment of your vacation.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends