“"Home and Family"”
Review of Casa del Sol

Casa del Sol
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I can't even begin to put into words the wonderful experience I had at Casa del Sol. From the time I walked into this hotel, it became something much more. It became a Home! I was overwhelmed by the kindhearted and generosity of the owner Tamara, the infectious laugh and smile of Juan, the talent and creativity of the chef Jessica, and the witty and charming sense of humor of Greg at reception and bar. And the experience doesn't stop there... there is a beautiful and serene yoga studio at the hotel. With class by Tamara and Whitney, that slowed my life down enough that I was able to focus on my practice and try to apply that attitude to my daily life. If you want to get your heart pumping a little more take Nia. An energetic, aerobic, yoga. Hard to explain... Have to try!
I almost forgot one of my favorite things about Casa del Sol, "Family Dinner". Were you'll find the Casa del Sol family and guests gathering around in the beautiful central dining area enjoying fabulous conversation over a delicious meal.
And all this even before you leave the hotel to enjoy the beautiful setting of Montanita. Only steps away from the ocean. No more words needed!
It was an experience I will never forget... An experience that left me in tear as I pulled away from a place that I felt became my home. Thank You

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 13, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for three weeks while learning Spanish in Montanita (after switching from another hostel in), and I'm sure it will be our best hostel experience in South America. While you're there you become a part of the family, whether you are staying for a couple of days or a couple of weeks or months. Tamara and 'Tamara's boyfriend' have managed to create a wonderful atmosphere that encourages everyone to hang out without being a 'party hostel' like those in the town. Their yoga/other fitness studio was great to try to keep a small amount of healthiness to balance the Montanita party, and classes ran every day. Rooms come with a private bathroom at a great price and are cleaned every day with fresh sheets/towels. Their breakfasts every morning were awesome, family dinners are always delicious and very fun, staff always happy and friendly and the bar only ran out of beer because there were too many Australians staying there at the one time! It's difficult to put into words how much we loved this hostel and all the people we met while staying there... we can't wait to go back as I'm sure we will while we're in South America!

Room Tip: They're all good!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nicky S
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This is my third time back to Casa Del Sol and it remains my favourite place in the world to be.
This time I came with my sister and parents. It was amazing.

The changes that have happened in CDS with the new owner ( wonderful girl Tamara) are all for the better.

The vibe is totally chilled and you can make a choice living at the point whether to go lightside, yoga, surfing, running, MMA, and my personal favourite Nia or you can go explore the crazyside of Montanita (5 mins walk away) and party like a rockstar only to retreat to chilled relaxed goodness of the point in a hammock with a glass of wine or bottle of beer in hand...

Greg and Theo are a big part of what makes this place awesome,
Any nights out or in are friendly and the fantastic Allers family will go out of their way to make you feel included and welcome, if you want to be :-)

This is a special place full of ace people....
I will always recommend CDS for folks visiting Ecuador

The rooms are clean and spacious, all have fans, some have AC.

Room Tip: Single travellers try for room 5 or 9 the best courtyard rooms..
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Please read the reviews by Kathy F, Bougain V and NormanFriendly as they give the information so beautifully but there is still more to try to capture.

Somehow the team here has managed to create a family atmosphere in its lovely dining and communal area, it simply captures your heart! A few metres from the beach and the friendly beach bar but still feeling like an oasis. Close to the excitement and facilities of Montanita but a million miles away if you want to feel quiet safe and at peace with the world. There are good places to walk and cycle to, not too many hills.

We too were impressed by Tamara and her team and will certainly visit again. Well done Casa del Sol - you exceeded our expectations!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Casa del Sol for a little more than three weeks (March-April). We searched and contacted many places before deciding to stay here. We choose it because the owner, Tamera, was quick to respond to our emails, she gave us a great price (for long term stay), the reviews were great – and it was on the point, which is a good 10 minute walk from town. Believe me, you want to stay on the point. Here you will be able to escape the crazy nightlife of Montanita. It is quiet, and you and your belongings will be safe.

The price included wifi (worked 90% of the time), daily cleaning of our room and a really amazing breakfast – with real coffee! Unlike the usual Ecuadorian breakfast serving of two eggs, toast and jam, it was different each day. Our favorites included the breakfast burritos, coconut pancakes and banana bread with fresh fruit.

Tamera, a kind, intelligent and business minded Canadian, purchased the hostal last year. Her brother, Greg, and a couple of her good friends, Lydia and Jessica, help her run the hostal. Together, they are of the most welcoming, kind and down-to-earth people.

Once a week, usually Friday nights, Jessica (the hostal’s chef) will cook up an amazing dinner for guests – and locals – who are interested. She will be sure to exceed your expectations. I had the opportunity to cook a couple times with her. Loved every second of it.

As Tamera works to update and renovate the hostal the gang is by her side.
Juan, Julio and Wendy (locals), also work to keep the hostal clean. The rooms and beds (we stayed in two different rooms, one with air conditioning) were very clean, comfy and included fans. Although the bathrooms are a little out dated, they are clean and the water pressure is good.

On site is a Yoga studio where Tamera and another local expat, Whitney, teach Yoga and Nia classes at a really good price - $5 per one-hour class. You can buy packages too. Usually there are two classes a day, except on the weekends. These girls are no first-timers when it comes to yoga and instructing. You will not be disappointed. Promise.

Overall we had a great experience at Casa del Sol. The people (guests and locals) we met were great! And, our memories will last a lifetime.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Katie F
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Casa Del Sol is a truly perfect place to stay.
Yoga classes were beyond my expectations by all 3 instructors I had.
My room, although a bit cavernous, was quiet and cool.
The social scene at the bar was so nice, very easy going and a great place to go if you are a solo traveler.
Nice people running a nice place with great food and excellent yoga!
The beach is across the street by the way and a couple of small tiendas selling anything you need.
Tres Palmas tiki bar across the street has excellent food and is beach front.
Prices are very reasonable and the food is excellent especially that fresh pesto!

Book it!

Room Tip: get a room away from the road and on second floor. Good place to get away from Carnivale.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Bougain V
Reviewed February 15, 2012

I booked in here as they have a yoga studio and were offering classes on an evening and one on one practice if you wanted it.

I wasn't expecting much, although I had read reviews on here that said it was a good place to visit.

When I arrived I was greeted by the owner who was just chilling at the bar with friends, it was a proper welcome. I was given my room key and shown my room, however only got there after a couple of beers and a long chat, it was like we were long lost pals.

Tamara had recently taken over the place and her brother Greg and mate Jessica are helping run it. They are doing a terrific job and I don't think there is anyone who has visited who doesn't think they are amazing. They are also helped by a number of local folks who have been there a while and there personalities and energy also add to the experience.

CDS is a 10 minute walk into Montanita, but believe me, you appreciate the walk after a couple of nights in Montanita, beacuse if you want to escape the madness you can do. Also the best part of the beach is literally a minute walk from the front of CDS.

For the price I paid, I wasn't expecting the Ritz, however I got a comfortable room, with A/C and a fan and a good shower. I slept well every night I was there and the Wifi (which is free) worked 95% of the time. Awesome.

The best part of CDS is the communal atmosphere there, they serve superb breakfasts on a couple of big tables in a courtyard type setting and they are very cool about you just hanging out there during the day and bringing in food later. The bar/checkin area is the heart beat, it has a "Cheers" feel to it and after a day everyone does know your name.

While I was staying there there was a great bunch of folk from all around the world staying there. Every night around 6.00pm people would gather at the bar and take a drink. You just run a tab and settle up when you leave.

I went for the yoga and that didn't disappoint, Tamara and the previous owner Whitney would take group lessons on an evening. The cost $5.00 in a wonderful bamboo studio. I also had one on one lessons with Whitney who was awesome.

This truly is an inspired residence with a great community of people running an associated with it.

Will I be going back?... I want to live there!!! it is awesome.

Room Tip: They are all good.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo