“The restaurant was terrible!”
Review of Azuluna Ecolodge

Azuluna Ecolodge
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“The restaurant was terrible!”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

While we can not say anything about the accommodation, we wanted to review the restaurant as it really was very bad! The service was extremely unfriendly, yawning while taking our orders and just laughing about our request to please receive all of our orders together instead of one every five minutes. The dishes themselves did not really taste like anything and were overpriced for the quality. Really nothing good to say about it, which is a shame, as the hotel itself looks quite nice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Laura F
Klever A, Gerente at Azuluna Ecolodge, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thanks for your comments, sorry the customers haven't received the food at the same time and haven't liked it (it is the first negative review to our kitchen). Please remember that we are in very high season.
It is unfortunate and sad that the client hasn't given time to qualify the positive she has also mentioned in this comment.
We, who are small business owners are making much effort to give the best service with local employees (different cultural values to respect), to maintain low prices and we have put all our heart and capital in a dream! ...... A dream we hope others share it with comments and actions to build.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Cuenca, Ecuador
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is the first negative review that I have ever written. Living in Cuenca, Ecuador, I had heard about this ecolodge and was very excited to take my lady friend for a relaxing beach holiday. Although the rooms rates are quite expensive, (more than $100 per night), I anticipated a first class experience. The policy of this lodge is to have their guests prepay in full by making a deposit into one of their bank branches. I am always hesitant to pay in full as it makes it impossible to receive a refund should something go wrong. I deposited $300 before we arrived, thinking I could pay the difference upon departure. After traveling all day by bus, we arrived tired and hungry. Our room for the first night (#4) was beautiful. Large and nicely appointed, with hot water for the shower, (not a given in Ecuador) and a magnificent view from the large terrace, We decided to order from the kitchen and eat on our deck. The shrimp plate @ 13.00 arrived, but the shrimp were overdone. Oh well, we chalked this up to maybe an error in the kitchen, but no big deal. As the lodge was supposedly booked to capacity, we needed to change rooms as our room had been previously spoken for. The only other room available was #3. I took one look and decided to pass. A small room with a modest view was not worth $100 plus. The host then showed us a room suitable for handicapped travelers which was available. (#12) The view was not as nice, with power wires obstructing the ocean view. but it was OK. Their website listed the room as superior, with a rate of $87 per night, including tax. Sitting on the deck. we were taken back by the roar of large trucks traveling the main highway, which separates the lodge from the beach. The road noise lasted till early evening, but it wasn't a deal breaker. An ecolodge in my mind conjures up images of extra care concerning the environment. However, I noticed two hummingbird feeders outside the main lobby , both empty and full of moss. This may not seem like a big deal, but it conveyed the lack of care for the external grounds. Many dead plants, and just not all that nice. The breakfast on our last morning was really disappointing. We were informed that there were no eggs so we could choose pan (toast) or pancakes. The pancakes arrived raw in the center. When we showed our waitress, she took the plates away and made no attempt to remedy the situation. The final straw was checking out. Our host prepared our bill and we noticed we were charged $96.12 per night plus 12% tax. As all of the staff only spoke Spanish, and my Spanish is modest at best, I asked for an explanation. I was informed that since our room had two beds, a twin and a single, and could sleep three, we would be charged as if we had three guests. Now having an extra bed adds nothing to the cost, no extra meals, no extra linen. To top it off, they added a 10% gratuity to the total final bill, making my advertised room rate of $87 now $106 per night. Bottom line, for this price, especially in Ecuador, one can find better accommodations for substantially less money.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rick H
Klever A, Gerente at Azuluna Ecolodge, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thanks for the comment and I'm sorry for the inconvenience with your last breakfast; we could have remedied it if you would had told us about it.
The prices of lodging were accepted by the customer; we have e-mails to prove it; Azuluna Ecolodge can't lose money when we facilitate last minute accommodation to our customers; we are in very high season; we have been booked for Christmas and New Year since last August.
As for the other comments, I'm sorry to say, but it clearly demonstrates a lack of understanding of the Ecuadorian reality.
London
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Azuluna is lovely...it's situated in Las Tunas, around 15 km from Puerto Lopez which is the throbbing backpacking centre on the west coat. Las Tunas is very quiet in comparison with no shops and only a few retaurants and other hostellerias. You need to take a bus or taxi (6 dollars) to Puerto Lopez for supplies. But it what you're after is peace and quiet, walks along the beach (we were there in July and it was quite overcast) and watching humpback whales from your balcony then it's perfect. The Pacific is really too strong to swim in here although Azuluna offers surfing lessons and also arranged our whalewatching trip (Isla de la Plata) which was terrific (I don't want to give too much away but it was superb!!) The Azuluna rooms are traditionally appointed in bright colours wth Ecuadorian fabrics and all have balconies with hammocks. There are 8 (??) cabins dotted around this hillside garden (which is still maturing), all with thatched roofs. The restaurant is fabulous....breakfasts are superb and the evening meals (we never went elsewhere) are freshly cooked to order and magnificent. I loved the Azuluna because I was happy reading, playing Scrabble and lazing around but it might not suit if you're after a bit more action. Thank you for a wonderful stay!!
P.S. YES we saw whales from our balcony!!

Room Tip: We had two standard rooms which were more than adequate although do make sure that you have a balcon...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Scottishlady1
Campton, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed here in order to look for a specific bird. We had a deluxe room with huge deck and two hammocks. AC made the bedroom nice for sleeping as the area is quite humid this time of year. It was rather shocking to see a large window in the shower but we were assured that the window was reflective on the outside and no one could see in. Not hot water first night but learned the propane had run out and they took care of that. Meals in the restaurant were very good.

Room Tip: There is some noise from buses and trucks on the road below as they stop for a speed bump. But this...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nhraven
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This eco lodge is delightful in and of itself, but it's location leaves quite a bit to be desired. If you just want to kick back and relax this is well worth the drive. But if you actually want to do anything this might not be the place. It is a short walk to the beach which is heavily populated with buzzards. The beach also has signs warning not to go in the water beyond waist depth. Other eco friendly places nearby have shut down and are for sale. Azuluna has a beautiful Lodge and several outbuildings with rustic, but comfortable rooms. The lodge has one very small TV with DirecTV service. No TV in the rooms. Nice hammocks, outside most rooms. Great ocean view. Nothing worthwhile nearby. Town of Puerto Lopez is not very attractive. Food was wonderful, well prepared and tasty. Do not drink the water, take bottled with you.

Room Tip: Al, the rooms are nice. Because of the extreme dampness they are a bit musty, but we did not see any...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LarryS4
London
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed here for five days at the end of August / early September, as I wanted to be near Puerto Lopez for the whale watching trips and beaches, but wanted a change from the normal hectic coastal backpacker towns. Azaluna is in a great location - its about 20 minutes on the bus from Puerto Lopez, but the buses come at least every 30 mins and only cost about 50 cents. As the buses regularly have buskers and bands playing on them, they are an experience in themselves!

The lodge is just off the main road and the bus drops you off right outside. It's in a quiet and peaceful location, but not so isolated that I felt in any way uncomfortable staying there as a single female. There's a long beach just 5 mins walk away, but sadly the weather wasn't good enough for me to really make use of it! (That said there are very strange microclimates in this area - at some points the lodge was in a misty cloud, but 10 minutes down the coast was in sunshine - so if you stay here get out and explore and don't be put off if its cloudy when you wake up!)

The rooms are spacious, clean, have showers with hot water, sturdy mosquito nets and verandas with hammocks, so perfect for chilling out. The central restaurant area served great breakfasts and very reasonably priced evening meals. There is a wonderful lady who did all my laundry in no time at all for a really low price. Azaluna will arrange a transfer from Manta airport which takes about 2 hours and is handy if you arrive in the evening and its dark, although I got the public bus back as it was daytime and that was really reliable (3 hours).

I would definitely recommend this if you want somewhere to relax for a few days. It was busy at the weekends, but during the week I was the only person staying and I suppose I would have preferred it to be a little bit more lively as I was there on my own. I also felt it was a little bit more expensive for the quality of the lodge, but not so much so that I regretted staying. I think if you were staying as a couple it would work out pretty reasonable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank KarM_7
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Excellent and quiet lodge very near a wonderful and peaceful beach, where you will be all by yourself.

Nice and friendly staff, good food and great facilities including lots of board games.

Much better than your average lodge by the beach in Ecuador.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
#3 of 24 in Puerto Lopez
Mantaraya Lodge
Mantaraya Lodge
#7 of 14 in Puerto Lopez

Been to Azuluna Ecolodge? Share your experiences!