“Such a Lovely Experience”
Review of CasKaffeSu

CasKaffeSu
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Mindo
Syracuse, New York, United States
“Such a Lovely Experience”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed here with a group for one night. Initially, it appeared as if the hostel didn't have enough room, but Susan managed to rearrange the rooms so we could all be accommodated comfortably.
Caskaffesu's grounds are located about a 30 second walk from the main street. The environment is really beautiful, as well as the rooms. The style and color palette of the entire atmosphere is really calming, the beds are comfortable and the showers have hot water.
Luis and Susan are both bilingual, therefore able to help accommodate for you in either language, as well as give you pointers of things to do and answer any questions you have.
The restaurant is AWESOME. I ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner there. My biggest recommendations are the fried yuca with cheese and any of the batidos!
Overall, Susan and Luis really enhanced our excursion in Mindo, and I plan on returning!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
AGExplore
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This was a somewhat disappointing experience. The hostel was overpriced for what it actually was - no breakfast and the "water program"... There are many other hostels in town that are just as nice and include breakfast and water... Also, it is very noisy with people up and around in the court yard early in the morning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank AGExplore
Pompano Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We spent three nights at this lovely hostel, operated by Luis and Susan Albán. Located a half block from the main street ... just far enough to be away from the noise ... and close enough to get to the restaurants, chocolate factories, main square, etc. They have good food available for all meals, from 8 AM to 8 PM. Many in our group would have liked earlier service in the morning so that they could get out to do bird watching, and exploring the area. Their great espresso machine generally made the wait worthwhile. The only negative is that table service was spotty, especially when a few tables were occupied.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that back up to the bus station.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jack M
portland, oregon
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We were not able to stay here because they were full, but we had two good meals here and enjoyed talking with the owners and playing with their dogs. This hostal has three things going for it...1) It is conveniently located around the corner from the bus station, 2) It takes VISA, and 3) It has a restaurant that offers an evening meal. This is especially welcome during the rainy season when it may start pouring rain at 4 PM, stranding you at another accommodation without a restaurant.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wilredd
Austin
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We just went there for food, and did we like it. It ticks all the right boxes, from ambiance to the food. Us being vegetarians, this was a treat and the hosts were gracious enough to give us some good recommendations. And yes, we had all our meals here for our stay in Quito.

Strongly recommended!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I loved this hotel, I will definitely return and enjoy the great coffee and delicious food. The design and layout of this hotel really unique. The rooms are spacious, quiet and very clean.
I would highly recommend the hotel to anyone!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 519Homes
chi
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The HOTEL: I stayed at CasKaffeSu back in May on a solo trip to South America (I'm a single female). Mindo was my first stop on that trip. In the few days before I started my travels to Ecuador, I had received several emails from Susan about my trip and she was so useful in setting me up with a car from the airport and helping me think through some of my activities in the area - she also set me up with a wonderful English speaking bird guide for my second day there. I arrived at the hotel late (around 10pm) after a 2-hour drive from Quito airport (I recommend doing this road trip during the day -- it was a bit hair-raising at night). Susan and Luis both greeted me at the door and made sure that I got settled and was ready for my early morning start the next day - Susan even went out of her way to find me some wellies.
The room was clean and spacious enough for me and all my gear. The water was hot (yes, I said hot :)). The place is locked up at night, so it definitely felt safe. The food is great, the coffee superb, and the fire place was wonderful in the afternoon during the rain (it rained all three afternoons I was there, so I encourage you to get out early and spend your afternoons relaxing). I thought the internet was surprisingly good considering the location. The courtyard is lovely too. The room rate here is insanely low in my opinion (I think it was $18 / night). For the service, the room, the onsite cafe/restaurant, and the hospitality, $18 is a steal. I'll definitely be back!!!

The TOWN: Mindo is definitely a place I will visit again. I visited the Galapagos immediately afterwards and would go back to Mindo before II went back to the Galapagos.
Although it can get a bit noisy at night in the town (howling dogs, and I was there during a rowdy festival), there is so much to do here and so much beauty to captivate you. I spent 3 full days and have no idea how people manage this as a day trip from Quito. The birding is exceptional. The people are so friendly. The waterfalls are amazing. The rope / canopy tour is super fun. The orchid farm (which was FILLED with hummingbirds, toucanettes, and various other birds) was fab. The highlight for me though was the experience at Paz de las Aves Bird Refuge. Angel Paz himself picked me up from the hotel at around 5am, took me to see the cock-of-the-rock first, and then to his refuge. He doesn't speak much English but he's passionate, funny, and really has a way with the birds. What I saw there was nothing short of jaw-dropping... a great hike too. I have absolutely amazing photos and very fond memories of my day there (contact Angel directly for a tour vs paying a guide -- your experience will be very different. You also go back to Angel's home afterwards for a traditional light meal and tea).

NOTE: most people in Mindo do not speak English - I found it a little challenging to get by and if I hadn't had Susan's help I most definitely wouldn't have had such a fab experience here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo