“Nice little hostel in a great area”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of La Casa de Cecilia

La Casa de Cecilia
Ranked #10 of 45 Specialty Lodging in Mindo
“Nice little hostel in a great area”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed at La Casa de Cecilia for one night, and wish I'd had the time to stay for longer. It was a really nice little hostel in a very pretty area. The rooms are tiny but this doesn't really matter as they give you fantastic views (many are open air) so you get to look at pretty scenes and tiny little birds. It's really close to the main square of the town and right next to a great bakery as well! The staff are very friendly, as are the two dogs that live at the hostel!

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We spent one night in Mindo at Cecilia's. The rooms are good, but don't contain more than a bed or two, which is enough for a night, though.
We had a room on the ground floor, so it was really humid. I guess upstairs, the rooms are better.
The staff is nice and helps you with booking tours or deciding on what to do by giving helpful information.
Breakfast was good (2.50 - 3.50) but basic as well.

So if you're looking on a cheap and basic hotel, in the centre of Mindo, for staying a night or two, Cecilia it is.

Room Tip: Better take rooms upstairs or in one of the huts surrounding. The one beneath the stairs is really h...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Morristown, Tennessee
Reviewed April 12, 2013

La Casa de Cecilia was one of my favorite hostels in Ecuador. The location was perfect, right next to a softly babbling river, and the price was great too. I payed $6 per night for a tiny single bed "open air" room that I loved. The open air part meant that there was an open wall, letting in the sounds of the river and the nature, and allowing me to see the stars from my bed.
The whole feel of the place was very serene, and the service was great too. The lady working was very friendly and warm and helped me figure out my itinerary for the 1.5 days I was in Mindo. I toured the tiny chocolate factory just nearby (I forget the name now but its practically next door), went to the "Concierto de Ranas" (loved it), and went zip lining with Canopy Adventure tours (it was decent).
Overall I had a great couple days in Mindo with a big thanks to Casa de Cecilia!

Room Tip: The open air room is amazing if you love nature
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We had a lovely stay at Cecilia, although very basic. The rooms were sufficient, and we had to move halfway through our stay. All rooms come with mozzie nets. Breakfast is served for $2.50.
We didn't have much problems with noise, but the walls are thin as paper.

- yesmads.com

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We had such a great time here! The hostel was all booked up, but they had just built a new cabin that she offered to us to stay in. It didn't have running water/bathrooms yet, but it was so close to the main building it really wasn't a problem. It wasn't completely sealed though (gaps between the windows and the wood, etc.), so at night it was definitely buggy, but I think that goes for all of Mindo. Bring lots of bug spray.

The hostel is super cute, a very short walk from the town center, with a river running behind it. There's an outdoor dining area where breakfast is served, and there are a few boardgames as well as a hammock next to reception.

There was wifi, but it didn't work as far as where we were staying (two cabins away from the main building). Wasn't a huge deal though.

The owner set up everything for us, though. She helped us set up our trip to the butterfly place, the hike to the waterfalls, and another shorter trip before we went to a chocolate tour (in town, not the one closest to La Casa because at the other, you get more chocolate supposedly, and it's fondue, with tons fruits!!), and would call a camioneta for us whenever we needed it.

Let us store our stuff there while we went hiking.

It is not a luxury resort, but it was exactly what we were looking for. As long as you are prepared/willing to have it be more the basics, with friendly and attentive staff, you'll have a great time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Quito
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I've stayed here twice now. Both times were very pleasant. The atmosphere of this place is great. The sound of the stream next to the hotel is nice to sleep to. We paid $8 per person per night. The woman at the front desk (Paula, I think) was very helpful and accommodating. She will help you arrange any activity you want to do in Mindo. The walls are thin, so depending on who else is staying there, it may be noisy. My first stay, I tried to take a hot shower early in the morning, but the hot water never came. It's not unusual in Ecuador for lower cost hotels to shut off the hot water tank at night to save money. Evening showers are recommended. The negative reviews on here are from people who don't really get Ecuadorian culture. Just go with it and don't expect Ecuador to be the USA. The're opening a new building in April 2013.

Room Tip: Check out all the available rooms before committing. Each one is unique. There's a very small...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank QuitoJohn
Quito, Ecuador
Reviewed October 16, 2012

So after reading the reviews on here, I was a little worried about what was waiting when my group of 5 (3 guys, 2 girls) arrived. But I was extremely pleased at what I saw. Although I have only stayed in about 10 hostels, this one was definitely one of the best. Great location, about a two minute walk to the park in the center of town, but still it is down a little road that allows for great views of the rainforest. Beautiful rooms, mosquito nets provided and doors with locks. The breakfast the next morning was very professional and delicious!! I definitely recommend this to anyone else traveling to Mindo!

The owners are also very helpful, they provide a taxi service to all the local activities for about $0.50 each way and they help you buy tickets to everything. Very great people.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends