“Two Opposite Experiences in Two Nights!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hosteria Septimo Paraiso

Hosteria Septimo Paraiso
Ranked #4 of 19 Mindo B&B and Inns
sebastopol, ca
“Two Opposite Experiences in Two Nights!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Oh... the first night would have rated Zero! It was the weekend of Dia De Los Muertos and they were packed. Packed with (happy and sweet) families that were running up and down and up and down the halls. Our room was directly above the dining room/bar where they were playing music not all that loudly, to be honest, BUT the speakers were installed into the dining room ceiling/ our floor. Loud in our room. seemed endless. They kindly turned it down-- but it just wasn't enough since the speakers were essentially under our bed. View were stunning from our corner room. But we were very unhappy.

Second day, it was a completely different experience. I do believe that the second day represented the norm here, so am averaging our score between zero and very good. The place was calm and we could enjoy being in paradise.

We wanted to take a spa bath, but it really wasn't hot enough for the cool weather. The pool area is lovely to look at. The food was quite good and they had several choices of fresh, delicious juice.

Room Tip: choose an upstairs room... our friends on the first floor felt that they could hear everyone at the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Septagroup, Owner at Hosteria Septimo Paraiso, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
I am really sorry that your first day with us was not to your pleasure. The day of the dead in Ecuador is a family holiday and as such most of our guests are families with little children. We try to keep a moderate music volume in the dining room mainly to try to filter the noise made by the kids. I want to thank you for pointing out that the speaker is too close to the restaurant ceiling and that it causes inconvenience to guest on the first floor, I had asked my staff to move them.
Septimo Paraiso receives over 5000 visitors a year and the majority of them are adults who like nature, birds and peace. However, few times a year, especially during the local holidays, we have an overwhelming amount of families staying at the lodge and it gets a bit loud. I do again apologies for this and it saddens me that you did not enjoy thoroughly your first day. I was glad to read that you second day was excellent and I have to agree with you that this is the norm. It is usually quiet and peaceful at Septimo, our guests enjoy our mystic forest, the walks, the birds, the hummingbird, the pool and the food in a complete relax atmosphere.
We make an effort every day to keep the highest service standards, fresh food and juices are made daily, bread and cakes are all prepared by our cooks, rooms are ventilated and clear thoroughly and the gardens and trails are always nicely kept. I trust that you might visit us again and that you can enjoy all your stay in our paradise.
Thank you for your comment it has been very helpful to me. I wish you a Happy New Year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

We were exploring the many birding locations close to Mindo. The lodge is well-situated in the forested valley above Mindo, and has an extensive trail system right on the grounds. Even better, it has an extensive set of hummingbird feeders that attract some of western Ecuador’s rarest and fanciest hummer species.

My room suffered from damp, but it was wooden and this was rainforest!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Septimo Paraiso in June 2012 as part of 9 day birding trip in Ecuador with Rudy Gelis of Pluma Verde tours (plumaverdetours.com). If you want a personalized birding tour that you'll see more birds on than one of the big name birding tour companies at half the cost go with Rudy! We had 428 species in the 9 days, which is pretty incredible.

We used Septimo as a base to visit the great birding spots in NW Ecuador.

The food at Septimo is great. When the place has multiple groups they serve food buffet style. A couple nights we were the only ones there and they served us personally. The staff and service are very great. The rooms were very clean and comfortable.

The trails around Septimo are quite productive and we picked up several rare birds on site including White-faced Nunbird and very close looks at Cloud-forest Pygmy-Owl.

Septimo also has an onsite bird guide who is quite good as well.

If you're planning a trip to NW Ecuador Septimo Paraiso is a great choice for lodging.

Photos of birds seen on my Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/46661974@N06

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Altos del Maria, Panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Visited the lodge with my wife for 3 nights and we had a great stay even though it rained often, which was expected in April. We had the largest room, very comfortable. The food was excellent. There are lots of Hummingbird feeders and lots of Hummingbirds. Birding was excellent. The trails are well maintained and also excellent for birding.
Lorena and Ana (owner) were very helpful, very nice people. Ana arranged a trip for us to go to the large market in Otavalo which was greatly appreciated.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Berwick, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

I chose El Septimo Paraiso in advance because I wanted to explore the Ecuadorian cloud forest after a trip to the Galapagos. At that point I was traveling solo and wanted to settle into a safe and comfortable spot that would offer opportunities for bird watching and wildlife viewing, and Septimo Paraiso turned out to be just perfect. Hostess Lorena was exceedingly friendly and helpful. For my 3-night stay, she had booked me into a suite complete with a 4-poster bed, private bathroom and a small outdoor deck. The view and sounds from my open windows were peaceful and mesmerizing. On my arrival, I told Lorena that I was interested in birds, flowers and wildlife, and she arranged for in-house naturalist, Angel, to take me on an early morning bird walks and two night safaris. These trips were fantastic, and as a serious photo-enthusiast I can attest that I took some of the best photos of my life on the night-time walks (tree frogs, lizards, insects, and spiders, oh my!). These guided tours were included in the $99/day rate, as were my 3 meals a day. The food was excellent and varied, home-made by their chef, and included locally-sourced food and fresh squeezed juices. Wine, beer and spirits were available with meals or as night caps (or anytime, really!). I chose to spend my first two days entirely on the vast property, hiking trails and lounging by the hot tub & pool after the long walks. But once I was ready to explore nearby Mindo, Lorena offered to arrange some tours for me at additional, but reasonable, costs. I went to a butterfly farm and a zipline ride above the canopy, but other options included river tubing, tours of a chocolate factory, coffee roasters, etc. I was picked up and dropped off at the hosteria and Angel the naturalist accompanied me, pointing out wildlife along the way. I had an amazing experience staying here and can highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Sara E
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed at Hosteria Septimo Paraiso after a trip to the Galapagos Islands. We had spent a couple of days at El Monte Lodge which was more to our liking. If you're very much into bird watching then this place is probably good for you. Anna was exceptionally helpful and was always ready to answer questions we had. On the food front I thought it was a bit over priced compared the inclusive meals you get at El Monte which are very tasty.

There's a nice pool and games area on the ground. As the weather wasn't too great we ended up playing a lot of pool. The website shows a WiFi logo but this wasn't available when we were there.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DoobyUK
Septimo Paraiso is located in the Cloud Forest or Mystic Forest, at an elevation of 1550 m. The cloud forest is famous for the biodiversity it has to offer and the clouds. We have 342 species of birds and you are correct the majority of our visitors are nature and bird lovers. We offer a fantastic trail system to observer them and most of our guest get up really early (4.30am) to enjoy bird watching here. We also have within our reserve other animals: taira, deer, spectacle bear, puma, kinkajou, armadillo, and more.
Our food is made daily and we specialize in country food. We keep very high standards of service and make efforts to always keep improving. I am sorry you did not enjoy you stay to the full and hope that maybe next time you might try some birding or the night safaris so you can experience what we have to offer.
Thank you for your comment about the Wi-Fi, we had trouble with the service provider for some time before when you visited us. I decided to cancel they service because it was not very good. I acquired several USB internet modems for our guests unfortunately they do not work with I Pads. Next January 2013 we will have in service a small Business Center with internet access, printer and a flat 18’’ screen.
I wish you well during your future travels and a fantastic New Year!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

Septimo Paraiso is a magic spot in a truly beautiful setting. We had a romantic and secluded room overlooking the garden. The food was the best we found in Ecuador and Ana, the owner, is the most gracious and lovely host! We had coffee grown and roasted by Ana's husband Tommy. Ana not only made our stay at Septimo Paraiso delightful, but she also helped us plan our subsequent adventures. This is absolutely a must stay!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple