“Septimo Paraiso - Birding”

Hosteria Septimo Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 19 Mindo B&B and Inns
Princeton, New Jersey
“Septimo Paraiso - Birding”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Septimo Paraiso in June 2012 as part of 9 day birding trip in Ecuador with Rudy Gelis of Pluma Verde tours (plumaverdetours.com). If you want a personalized birding tour that you'll see more birds on than one of the big name birding tour companies at half the cost go with Rudy! We had 428 species in the 9 days, which is pretty incredible.

We used Septimo as a base to visit the great birding spots in NW Ecuador.

The food at Septimo is great. When the place has multiple groups they serve food buffet style. A couple nights we were the only ones there and they served us personally. The staff and service are very great. The rooms were very clean and comfortable.

The trails around Septimo are quite productive and we picked up several rare birds on site including White-faced Nunbird and very close looks at Cloud-forest Pygmy-Owl.

Septimo also has an onsite bird guide who is quite good as well.

If you're planning a trip to NW Ecuador Septimo Paraiso is a great choice for lodging.

Photos of birds seen on my Flickr site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/46661974@N06

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Altos del Maria, Panama
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Visited the lodge with my wife for 3 nights and we had a great stay even though it rained often, which was expected in April. We had the largest room, very comfortable. The food was excellent. There are lots of Hummingbird feeders and lots of Hummingbirds. Birding was excellent. The trails are well maintained and also excellent for birding.
Lorena and Ana (owner) were very helpful, very nice people. Ana arranged a trip for us to go to the large market in Otavalo which was greatly appreciated.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Berwick, Maine
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I chose El Septimo Paraiso in advance because I wanted to explore the Ecuadorian cloud forest after a trip to the Galapagos. At that point I was traveling solo and wanted to settle into a safe and comfortable spot that would offer opportunities for bird watching and wildlife viewing, and Septimo Paraiso turned out to be just perfect. Hostess Lorena was exceedingly friendly and helpful. For my 3-night stay, she had booked me into a suite complete with a 4-poster bed, private bathroom and a small outdoor deck. The view and sounds from my open windows were peaceful and mesmerizing. On my arrival, I told Lorena that I was interested in birds, flowers and wildlife, and she arranged for in-house naturalist, Angel, to take me on an early morning bird walks and two night safaris. These trips were fantastic, and as a serious photo-enthusiast I can attest that I took some of the best photos of my life on the night-time walks (tree frogs, lizards, insects, and spiders, oh my!). These guided tours were included in the $99/day rate, as were my 3 meals a day. The food was excellent and varied, home-made by their chef, and included locally-sourced food and fresh squeezed juices. Wine, beer and spirits were available with meals or as night caps (or anytime, really!). I chose to spend my first two days entirely on the vast property, hiking trails and lounging by the hot tub & pool after the long walks. But once I was ready to explore nearby Mindo, Lorena offered to arrange some tours for me at additional, but reasonable, costs. I went to a butterfly farm and a zipline ride above the canopy, but other options included river tubing, tours of a chocolate factory, coffee roasters, etc. I was picked up and dropped off at the hosteria and Angel the naturalist accompanied me, pointing out wildlife along the way. I had an amazing experience staying here and can highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Sara E
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed at Hosteria Septimo Paraiso after a trip to the Galapagos Islands. We had spent a couple of days at El Monte Lodge which was more to our liking. If you're very much into bird watching then this place is probably good for you. Anna was exceptionally helpful and was always ready to answer questions we had. On the food front I thought it was a bit over priced compared the inclusive meals you get at El Monte which are very tasty.

There's a nice pool and games area on the ground. As the weather wasn't too great we ended up playing a lot of pool. The website shows a WiFi logo but this wasn't available when we were there.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DoobyUK
Septagroup, Owner at Hosteria Septimo Paraiso, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Septimo Paraiso is located in the Cloud Forest or Mystic Forest, at an elevation of 1550 m. The cloud forest is famous for the biodiversity it has to offer and the clouds. We have 342 species of birds and you are correct the majority of our visitors are nature and bird lovers. We offer a fantastic trail system to observer them and most of our guest get up really early (4.30am) to enjoy bird watching here. We also have within our reserve other animals: taira, deer, spectacle bear, puma, kinkajou, armadillo, and more.
Our food is made daily and we specialize in country food. We keep very high standards of service and make efforts to always keep improving. I am sorry you did not enjoy you stay to the full and hope that maybe next time you might try some birding or the night safaris so you can experience what we have to offer.
Thank you for your comment about the Wi-Fi, we had trouble with the service provider for some time before when you visited us. I decided to cancel they service because it was not very good. I acquired several USB internet modems for our guests unfortunately they do not work with I Pads. Next January 2013 we will have in service a small Business Center with internet access, printer and a flat 18’’ screen.
I wish you well during your future travels and a fantastic New Year!
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Septimo Paraiso is a magic spot in a truly beautiful setting. We had a romantic and secluded room overlooking the garden. The food was the best we found in Ecuador and Ana, the owner, is the most gracious and lovely host! We had coffee grown and roasted by Ana's husband Tommy. Ana not only made our stay at Septimo Paraiso delightful, but she also helped us plan our subsequent adventures. This is absolutely a must stay!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maura C
New Mexico
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We came to the Mindo area as part of our first visit to Ecuador. The primary purpose of the trip was bird watching.

I will comment on the notably positive and negative.

Positive: Fabulous grounds with wide variety of birds; up to 30 hummingbird feeders with nonstop action during the daylight hours; quiet; professional and responsive staff; beautiful dining room with good food.

Negative - No hot water to take shower the first night (staff took care of this); power outage (tolerable); during torrential rain water came into room and soaked half of a bed; rooms dated but serviceable.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Septagroup, Owner at Hosteria Septimo Paraiso, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Thank you very much for your comment. We take special care in the day to day maintenance of the lodge and we keep a very high standard of service.
I regret the inconvenience you had during your stay at Septimo. That day the rain was very strong and just above your bed is room 11 that has a small balcony. Because of the wind and the terrible amount of rain the leafs blocked the balcony drain causing a small flooding and the subsequent accidental drip to your room. We have taken measures so this will not happened again, we made two more drains in the balcony and covered the walls with “Chova” a water proof material.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to write a comment, this allows us to keep up our high standard of service and to continuously improve our lodge.
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Septimo Paraiso near Mindo Ecuador may not be a hotel for everyone, but if you are a birdwatcher interested in birding the Mindo area - which is fantastic for birds - then this birding lodge is THE place to stay! As a bird tour leader for the past 25 years, and now owner of my own company Avian Journeys, I have stayed at many lodges in Ecuador, and other countries in Central and South America, and I have never felt more at home than at Septimo Paraiso. The lodge is situated in a beautiful forested valley, with fabulous birding right outside the front door! The lodge itself is a large wood structure - very eco-friendly constructed with recycled materials - with several separate bedrooms, each with it's own bathroom. It is perfect for a tour group, but also excellent for the individual traveler. The owner, Anna Lucia, personally makes everyone feel at home - and in fact it is like staying in her home! The food is excellent - lots of delicious home made recipes. Most important, they are VERY accommodating to the birding group, with flexible dining times (especially early breakfast). There is an excellent trail system on the property, and it is very well-situated for visits to many of the Mindo area birding locations, including Angel Paz, Milpe, Rio Silanche, and Tandayapa. I have stayed at several of the other lodges in the Mindo area, and I would highly recommend Septimo Paraiso as the place to stay.

Room Tip: Room number 10 has a mall balcony from which one can sometimes see Black-and-white Owl!